Where do I buy fresh yeast?

Green Witch

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:36 pm
@Bohne,
Squishy bread lovers are hard to convert. It's difficult to make a homemade bread that slices like commercial bread because you are not going to use the softening agents commercial bakers add to get that airy, gooey texture.Will your husband eat sandwiches on hard rolls? I was once told "hard roll" is a Northeast term, so I'll mention it means a roll with a crunchy outside, chewy inside. If so, you can make small loaves out of the dough and just cut them like sandwich rolls. Trick is to make them sort of flat so they bread does not dominate the sandwich.

These are two really good books with great recipes and advice:

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread
by Peter Reinhar - many traditional European recipes.

You might find something for your husband in this one. There are a number of white bread type recipes:

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg

You can get them used on Amazon.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 04:45 pm
This is also a good book of bread making.

http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Silvertons-Breads-Brea-Bakery/dp/0679409076

Here's an archive of many good bread recipes. It includes recipes for the Volkorn Bröt (wheat bread)...that dark German bread made with whole grains and molasses.

http://www.bread-bakers.com/archives/recipe/text/b4q99-8.txt

Here are some recipes I've used over the years:

Quote:
Oatmeal and Whole Wheat Bread (six loaves)

INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) package rapid rise yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup melted shortening
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS
In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, stir together 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 cup bread flour, and yeast. Let grow for about 5 minutes. It will bubble almost immediately.

Measure oats, 4 1/2 cups warm water, whole wheat flour, salt, 2/3 cup sugar, and 2/3 cup oil into the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed with a dough hook for 1 to 2 minutes. Increase speed slightly, and begin adding bread flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Humidity determines how much flour you need before the bread pulls away from the edge of the bowl. It is normal for the dough to be sticky.

Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape loaves, and place in greased 8 x 4 inch pans. Let rise until dough is 1 inch above rim of pans, usually 1 hour.

Bake at 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until tops are browned. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

Quote:
Whole Wheat Bread (5 loaves)

Ingredients
3 cups coarse-ground bulgar wheat
5 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
5 tsp yeast
6 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup canola oil
3 tbsp ground flaxseed, or walnuts, or pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
5 tsp salt
About 7 to 8 cups white bread flour

First, mix the coarse-ground wheat, whole-wheat flour, yeast and water in a large bowl. Cover and let rise for six hours. Then, stir in the rest of the ingredients, except for the white bread flour. Add the white flour, 1 cup at a time, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon until the dough becomes too thick to stir. Now, knead the dough, adding the remainder of the white flour.

Next, cover the dough with a towel and let it rise until it doubles"about 1-1/2 hours.

Sprinkle a little white flour on the countertop, then punch down the dough and form five equal loaves. Place one dough loaf on each end of a cookie sheet, and three dough loaves lengthwise in the middle.

Make three cuts in the top of each loaf. Let the loaves rise in a warm place until a dimple made with your finger won’t bounce back.

Last, bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. After baking, place each loaf on a rack and let cool for six hours or more.

Quote:
Swedish-Style Limpa Bread (Rye)
One of my favorite breads. Fun to make and tastes wonderful, especially when toasted.

SWEDISH-STYLE LIMPA BREAD

1 cup of warm water
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate (undiluted)
2 packages of active dry yeast
1/4 cup of light or medium molasses
1/4 cup of white granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
2 tablespoons soft butter
2 & 1/2 cups of rye flour, sifted
2 & 1/2 cups of all-purpose white flour, sifted

Place warm water in a large warm mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water, wait until dissolved. Mix in the molasses, sugar, salt and orange rind.

Add soft butter, orange juice concentrate, caraway seeds and rye flour; mix well. Stir in the all-purpose white flour.

Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead dough until it is smooth and elastic. If dough is too sticky, work in a little more all-purpose white flour (about 2 tablespoons.) The dough may optionally be kneaded with a power mixer and a dough hook.

FIRST RISING: Grease a large bowl and place the dough in it. Cover with a clean dry towel or plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until it is double in bulk, about 1 & 1/2 hours.

SECOND RISING: Punch the dough down and let it rise again until it is double in bulk, about 1 hour.

THIRD RISING: Flour your hands. Punch the dough down again. Divide dough in half. Shape dough into two oblong loaves. Place the two loaves on one or two greased baking sheets. Cover loaves with a warm, damp towel. Let dough rise again until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Uncover and bake them in a 375' oven for 35 minutes or until the loaves are a rich brown. Remove the loaves from the oven, brush them with additional melted butter. Cool before slicing.

This recipe makes two loaves that will keep well wrapped in a refrigerator or freezer protective wrap. This bread is a lovely moist, dense, easy to slice bread, delicately flavored with orange, that makes wonderful sandwiches or toast.

Optional: Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries or golden raisins. (I do this for the holidays)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:24 pm
@Bohne,
Soft bread lovers usually stay soft bread lovers, but there are some quite tasty soft breads and buns you can make yourself. Lemme go look - there's one called Moomie's that's loved in the food forum I hang out at.

The no-knead bread's great. Well, it's great if you're not making bread because you want to work out some frustrations.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:32 pm
@ehBeth,
The original Moomie's buns

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeDisplay?RID=R398

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/images/1-R398.jpg

Some folks over at Taunton reshape these into small loaves. Instead of 8 buns, they make 4 small loaves of bread.

Kind of the ultimate in soft homemade bread.

The King Arthur Flour site is generally a good resource for breads/baking.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh, yeaaaaaaaaah, she's the woman..

I've sort of followed her for years and years.

But, first in my kitchen is Carol Field (The Italian Baker).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I may have to try those, Beth - Once in a while I'd like a hamburger bun or two, and can't stand the ones at the store.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, Nancy Silverton has sold La Brea Bakery, but I think she may still be a consultant.
She's off making pizza amazing at Mozza's in Los Angeles these days. She owns Mozza's with Mario Batali and (dunno, maybe others).
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:14 am
@Green Witch,
[quote]Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking by Jeff Hertzberg
[/quote]

That is actually a book I was already looking into getting.
I think the one recipe I have from a friend is from this one...

@everybody else: thank you so much for all your input,
I will have a look at everything when I am done making breakfast.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:43 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

These are two really good books with great recipes and advice:

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread
by Peter Reinhar - many traditional European recipes.

You might find something for your husband in this one. There are a number of white bread type recipes:

The Bread Baker's Apprentice is an ultimate text for breads

amazon link

The King Arthur site covers a number of the same products/techniques, but some people prefer having a book to work from.
0 Replies

Peter2

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:39 pm
@Bohne,
I know exactly what you mean by fresh yeast as we used to use it all the time in England. Like you I have searched in vain as they only have the dry active stuff here in Richmond, VA. I'd love to get the fresh yeast. Can you share with me the European bakery that you got it from? Best,
Peter
mimi01

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 01:18 pm
@Bohne,
Exactly! I too have been looking for compressed yeast. Used to be available in Canada, a place we visit in the summer. It comes in squares, as you said. Texture like clay but only good for about one month. Best bread you'll ever make. I live in N.W. Fl. and can't find it anywhere.
0 Replies

Cami Broughton

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:00 am
@Bohne,
I know exactly what you are looking for,I am from Romania and live now in Burnsville,NC !Me to I was looking for fresh yeast but all I could find was active dry yeast or instant so I am gonna keep looking and let you know if I find.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:04 am
@Cami Broughton,
Does anyone actually read back on threads to see if the original question was answered?
Cami Broughton

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:52 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch,

Yes dear,I actually read and anyway what is your problem???
0 Replies

aniea

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:14 am
@Bohne,
Wegmans actually carries FRESH cake yeast known as wet yeast, very different from active dry yeast. It is a world apart and becoming very hard to find. I buy it from the Wegmans in Maryland.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:22 pm
@Peter2,
Sorry, I missed your question, Peter2
We had a European Bakery in our town called Hanseat.
Unfortunately they closed recently.

So I am searching again.
I don't think we have Wegman's around here.
0 Replies

needshelp

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 10:33 am
@Bohne,
Hi Bohne, I too was looking for fresh yeast in NJ and came across your post. Then got interested in the "naan, Loaves etc. that you had written." Do you have any recipe for the "Paav", which are like small square or rectangular loaves we get in India? I am vegetarian and do not eat eggs. Also trying out fresh Pizza this week.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2011 11:05 am
The Chowhound website has several topics broken down by large cities in the US and Canada where members share names and locations of places to buy fresh yeast.

Here's a link to the Google search result for it. Choose the city near you and click on the link.

If you don't live near any of these cities, you might be able to contact the sources to see if they'll overnight it to you.

You can also go directly to the producer (Fleischmann's) and contact them. It doesn't appear that they sell directly to the consumer, only to commercial bakers. You can always try contacting them and ask about availability to home bakers.

http://www.abmf.com/products/yeast#bakersfreshyeast
0 Replies

annepetroskey

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:41 am
@Bohne,
@Bohne,

My family is from the Appalachian Mountains, and they use "cake yeast" or "cube yeast" exclusively. It is just as you described: it comes in a cube form, is wrapped in a cellophane/foil type wrapper, and it has the consistency of paste (it is not dry in an envelope). It is much better for bread than dry yeast!

Unfortunately, I can't help you with finding it. I live in the Metro DC area and no markets here carry it anymore. It is getting harder and harder to find.

If anyone knows of a place to purchase this, even online, I would also like to know. [email protected].

Thanks, and best of luck.
0 Replies

annepetroskey

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:47 am
@Bohne,
It is called cake yeast, it is fresh (must be refrigerated), comes in cubes, and I found it at Wegmans, although I don't believe they have these stores in NC :-(

For anyone else interested in using cake yeast (who has a Wegmans in their area), this yeast is MUCH better for baking, especially bread.
0 Replies