MATRIX RELOADED philosophy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:32 pm
What is the philosophical backbone of the MATRIX trilogy perticularly MATRIX RELOADED? The link of Material and Mystical world is obviously a huge part. Can anyone help expand on this? I'm working on a column and I just want fresh input instead of recycling my own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 826 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:02 pm
The backbone is this:

Use a gimmick in a movie and people will love it.

The Matrix is one of the best gimmicks there is in a movie, but it's still just a gimmick and just pseudo-philosophy.

It's merit as philosophy is about as much as a junkie's trip.

But there are still associations with philosophy that can be made, what I'm basically saying is that the water is murky, it's not deep.
0 Replies

LordEdge

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:42 pm
Well, I definitely agree with you. Though I am curious as to the shallow waters.
0 Replies

Corvette Summer

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 04:01 am
Arrow
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 09:44 am
One of the philosophical points the movie makes is that it's impossible to disprove some fanciful notions.

For example, it's impossible to disprove that you live in the Matrix. It's impossible to prove that you are living in reality and not some grand illusion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:48 am
This goes into the philosophical elements nicely (found it right after I saw the movie and was trying to make sense of it):

http://www.corporatemofo.com/stories/051803matrix.htm
0 Replies