sozobe

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 09:05 am
Hi everyone,

Finally, finally, I'm going to be doing a (modest) interior decorating-type thing. (It was one of my Christmas presents -- to go ahead and make it happen however I saw fit.)

The people who lived here before us were big on neutrals. I'm more of a color person.

Our bedroom is BLAH. Blah walls, blah window treatments. I'll get to the walls later, but for now I'm going to attack the window treatments.

Here's what it looks like now. (Could it be blah-er?)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/thespace.jpg

The window treatments are some sort of canvas dealie that's falling apart (very hard to open). The chest functions as a sort of window seat, that's not necessarily anything permanent. It's an awkward place to put a chair -- narrow. Anyway, I welcome ideas there too but that's not the main problem.

The main problem is this:

Since I already have curtains (see below) my big purchase for this project will be curtain rods. I like cast-iron decorative curtain rods, like this one (from another room).

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/curtainrod.jpg
(Not a good photo, hopefully gives an idea.)

There isn't really any room for finials in that corner though. Here's a closeup, showing the window frame flush up against the wall:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/windowmeetswall.jpg

What I am trying to figure out is how to handle that corner, in terms of what curtain rods I want to buy. (There is a set of four windows on another wall that are much more straightforward.) I think that I want finials because the room is big and blah and I'd like to have a little bit of extra interest there. I could just use plain, non-finial rods, covered by curtains. (This kind):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/rod.jpg

I'm not even sure if that would work though -- is the round part meant to go on the wall or right on the wood window frame?

I guess I could also use two different types of curtain rods on the two areas; one for the weird nook area, one for the four windows in a row.

Here are the curtains I have already, shown here with a red chair we have in the room, and with the pillowcase from our comforter/ pillowcase combo.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/comfortercovercurtains.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/curtainsandchair.jpg

So we have a big red bed and a big red chair which helps the color quotient quite a bit. The walls will be some other non-red color -- light green maybe (not sage, a more springy color) -- but again, that's down the line. Point is that the curtains aren't super-bright but there will be more color surrounding them.

So, what do you think I should do about the curtain rods? Dispense with finials entirely? Get rods with detachable finials and put one side flush against the wall (no finial) and have a finial on the other side? Use finials on the set of four windows but not on the window pictured? Other ideas?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 33 • Views: 30,631 • Replies: 158
Topic Closed
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 09:18 am
I don't know the size of the window but it appears to be small and quite narrow. I also don't know if it is the only window in the room.

If it was my room, I would install a rod or wooden board on the ceiling above the window in an L shape from which to hang the draperies, which might include a shear panel over the window glass to allow the light to be seen. Then you could create a corner drapery to enlarge the window image size. You could even extend the drapery along the left wall to it's full length if that's the wall that your bed is against. Hanging from the ceiling height will provide the drama it now lacks. The drapery should be ceiling to floor.

If you use a rod on the top window frame, it will only emphasize the small size of the window instead of enlarging to create a more dramatic effect.

http://www.factorydirectdrapes.com/store/comersus_howtomeasure.asp

BBB
boomerang

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 09:29 am
Ohhh -- I like that idea of draping the whole space to enlarge the look of the window, BBB.

Is there another window that balances with this one?

How will your curtains hang from the rod?
Thomas

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:05 am
@sozobe,
I find it a bit tricky to read the perspective in your photograph. Would it be possible to use rods with finals and mount them on the front of the niche, as indicated by the crosses?
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7070/thespacezb5.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/thespacezb5.jpg/1/w600.png

If not, I'd probably use rods without the finals, and let both ends go straight into the walls perpendicular to the window plane. Who says the breadth of the curtain has to match the breadth of the window?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:06 am
@boomerang,
You can buy ceiling rods. If using wood molding, you can use staples, rings or clips to hold the drapery.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:20 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
It's not the only window in the room, there are four other windows on another wall. (Said so above but I know it's long and confusing.) Here's a pic of them:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/windows.jpg
(Lot of contrast because of the sun, bad pic.)

Those windows provide the main drama. I also have a big ol' bed against a third wall. (Four windows = south wall. One window, in original post = east wall. Bed = west wall.)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/bed.jpg
(Cherry.)

I do want to use the curtains I have already and they're not floor-to-ceiling length. I don't really have a need for sheer -- we're very private. I plan to just shove aside the curtains during the day. (One of the main annoyances of the canvas dealies is that they're so irritating to open, so they're usually closed even though we get great light in that room.)

I know the perspective is confusing, sorry. I wouldn't want a curtain across that whole area, though, no. I want something flush up against the window.

I thought of having the curtains go across that whole wall -- when closed, it would be all fabric, and when open, there would be the window to the left and then the bunched-up curtains to the right -- but I think I'd prefer that the curtains don't take up much more space than the window itself, and then put like a series of three related things in a vertical row (I have some Indian woodblocks that could work) on the wall to the right.
sozobe

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:29 am
@sozobe,
Another bad photograph, sorry, but does this help with perspective?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/windowview2.jpg

One of the main things I am looking for is flow between the five windows -- the four-in-a-row ones are very easy to deal with (get a long curtain rod with finials, put it up, put up curtains, finis).

Forgot to answer your question about curtains, boomer -- they're pocket curtains, maybe? No loops or holes, just the rod goes straight through the top part. You won't see the rod where the curtain is.
boomerang

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:30 am
I'm thinking something like this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/House/sozcurtain.jpg

You could pull the curtain back during the day and let it loose at night for privacy.

And you could shove your chair in front it it for a great reading chair.
sozobe

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:38 am
@boomerang,
Yeah, that's what I meant with this:

sozobe wrote:
I thought of having the curtains go across that whole wall -- when closed, it would be all fabric, and when open, there would be the window to the left and then the bunched-up curtains to the right -- but I think I'd prefer that the curtains don't take up much more space than the window itself, and then put like a series of three related things in a vertical row (I have some Indian woodblocks that could work) on the wall to the right.

I don't really have the vocabulary for this stuff! Sorry if I'm being confusing.

The chair is in a good place right now... and the chest has noplace else that's good except the basement (and we don't want to put it there). The chest will probably be staying for a while.

I do like shoving curtains aside rather than having them draped... dunno why, just my preference. More light I guess.

In your drawing, what sort of curtain rods did you have in mind? That's still my sticking point. I think I know WHERE I want to put the curtain rod, but not how to handle the finials (or lack thereof) and continuity with the group of four windows on the other wall.
Thomas

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:41 am
@sozobe,
Ah. In this case, I'd go with the detatchable finals, put a final on the right and, and let the left end go straight into the wall. It's a little awkward, and Martha Stewart might not consider it a Good Thing. But if you use the same kind of curtain for all windows, I think you'll have enough consistency to get away with it.
squinney

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:57 am
@Thomas,
Agree with Thomas. The finial that is supposed to be against the wall wouldn't be noticed anyway since it is tucked into a corner.

Attach to the wall, not the window frame. You should have studs just above the frame.

Due to the fabric being light, I'd put a blind or sheers behind it to keep from losing the pretty pattern in the curtains and showing that the windows stop before the curtains do.

Pick a green from the curtains for your wall color.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:08 am
Oops. Missed that.

From my experience -- we did long rods and finials and drapey kind of curtains in a lot of our house and now we hate them. We thought we needed "something" but found that we were really hiding what we had -- the architecture.

I made curtains for our dining room (where we have a long series of windows like yours) that fit the inside of each window and during the day I just tie them in knots. During the day I have light and at night I have privacy. People are always telling me how much they like them.

I have an appointment this morning but I'll try to post a photo to give you an idea of what I'm talking about when I get home.
sozobe

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:13 am
@boomerang,
This is in the new part of the house (built ~1996) and the architecture is kind of eh. This room is huge, a big white box right now, and I do like the idea of finials/ interest.

BUT -- I absolutely love that idea for the downstairs windows, which have beautiful original restored wood. Right now we have metal blinds which are supremely eh. What you describe would be fabulous there.

Squinney and Thomas, I'm leaning that way too... still thinkin' though so keep it coming...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:14 am
Do you get a good amount of light through that window?

Seems an ideal candidate to me for Stained Glass, either the attachable type or a nice painting. I have a friend who paints famous paintings on windows for a living and they always look fantastic when the sun shines through.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 01:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Interesting idea!

It's one of the best views of our backyard though so wouldn't want something that obscures it in any kind of permanent way.

That's the other thing about the chair -- the area to the left is too narrow for any chairs I have now, and if you put the chair further to the right, all you can see out the window is the roof (as in my photo). If you sit on the chest with your back to the wall on the left, it's a great view. (I usually have cushions there but swept 'em off for the photo.)

Just measured -- 27.5 inches. The red chair is too big but that's actually not insane for SOME chair. Get a chair and an ottoman, put the chair with its back to the left wall, that'd be cozy and with a great view. Hmmmmmmm. (Still the problem of where else to put the damn chest...)
BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
@sozobe,
Would your chest fit at the foot of your bed?

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
Now for a totally different set of opinions -

1) treat the window as different from the others, with one wide shutter, or "shoji screen", hinged (where?) perhaps to a matching molding to the window at the corner - if a shutter hinged to the molding would not work because of the casement turn knob. But that wouldn't work if you would be trying to sit against the open shutter. Or two tall thin shutters - but that would seen odd with a casement type window opening.
2) leave window without a cover (is it double paned?), perhaps etching around the edge of the glass in some interesting pattern.
3) do the hidden rod - no finial thing, curtain same length as the other windows'.
About the height - I might want the rod set higher than the window - can't tell re the window molding height from here.
4) make the whole niche a built in system with book shelves on top, on the side, and beneath the window, and a set of doors (glass?) for the whole niche. $$$$
5) cover an old fashioned rolling shade with your curtain material, or make shade yourself with a double fold of the material.
ehBeth

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 05:09 pm
@sozobe,
I've been looking at this on and off this afternoon.

I don't think "flow" and "continuity" with the other windows makes a lot of sense. I'd go with playing up the difference - making the space a focus. I definitely wouldn't use the same window covering.

If you like the chest where it is (I think it's pretty grand there), I'd consider a couple of options. Maybe shelves on the wall beside the window to balance with a king size pillow or body pillow on the chest as one piece seat cushion. Some kind of interesting single colour/textured fabric to cover the cushion and make a largish co-ordinating alcove curtain. Maybe a narrow shelving unit on top of the chest, running up beside the window, with a small curtain - rod inside the frame.

If the chest isn't staying, and there is more than a 12" x 12" footprint beside the window on the floor, look at an inexpensive linen tower that co-ordinates with your bedroom furniture - it can be used to store all sorts of wonderful things - plant stand beside it under the window. Funky window covering - maybe a patterned bamboo.

Chest or no chest, use the alcove as a small focussed gallery space. I think it could be a great feature space.

If the chest is staying, I really think I'd go with an alcove curtain or screen. Something big and statement-y. Inexpensive.
ossobuco

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
I thought of bamboo too. Bamboo tutu..

On an alcove closer (leaving the window plain) I wanted to edit that to wood shutter doors - opening to a shelving system of some sort around the window.
ehBeth

Mon 5 Jan, 2009 05:16 pm
@ossobuco,
or any of ossoB's options

I can 'see' all of them.