virus in a folder and affecting hard disk space

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 03:18 am
my operating system is windows vista home premium sp1.in my local disk c i have a folder "users".when i click on the properties of the folder it shows 20.4GB and shows over 1200 folders.but when i open it there are only a few MB contents and less than 5 folders.i cant delete the folder.recycling gets hanged and it repeatedly says u need permission to remove the folder.my operating system is installed in the disk and hence i cant format the disk.suggest help if possible
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,174 • Replies: 4
No top replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 05:44 am
@supersaiyanrohit,
Try here, Saiyan Rohit:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/affiliate/offer/gen/rb/
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 07:09 am
@supersaiyanrohit,
supersaiyanrohit follow the instructions on this thread.
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

read and understand ALL instructions. it seems like a lot of work but thats mostly because of the explanatory notes.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
@supersaiyanrohit,
First of all, you haven't said anything that indicated that a virus is the cause of this, so I'm not sure that's related.

Ok, as to the part where you see can't see folders you think are there you might want to try enabling the view of hidden and system files (from Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View). You can also use utilities to investigate the file use like: http://windirstat.info/

Now as to the part where it says you need permission to delete, that's most likely because some process is using a file you are trying to delete, or you are trying to delete a file that you don't have permissions for (e.g. if you aren't logged in as an administrator). You can try booting into safemode to delete files but make sure you aren't trying to delete things that Vista legitimately is trying to protect you from deleting.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2009 02:28 pm
@supersaiyanrohit,
The "users" folder is where all your documents and anyone else that uses the computer are kept. Deleting it will delete all your personal files along with everyone elses.

Are you the only user of this computer? If not, then you are probably restricted from viewing the folders of other users. Show hidden files like Robert suggested. The folder count of 1200 may include all subfolders in the 5 that you can see.
0 Replies