How do you want your eggs?

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:15 am
I started buying those Eggland's Best eggs and you know what? In the land of eggs they really are the best.

They taste so good that I have started eating my eggs poached with just a splash of Tapitio sauce.

Yum.

(Note: I have no financial intrest in Eggland's Best eggs.)

How do you like your eggs?

JPB

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:17 am
@boomerang,
I've switched to Eggland's eggs too.

Over-easy with olive oil Pam and a slice of toasted Tuscan bread.
mismi

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:25 am
@JPB,
I love eggs any old way. I love them scrambled (as do the kids) and I love them boiled (as do the kids) - boiled are great travel food. Easy to take out and eat whenever...I like that. But I think my favorite is poached - and I like the middle a little underdone so I can dunk my whole wheat toast in - I know it's not polite - but at home it's my fav.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:26 am
@boomerang,
UP.

we raise our own chickens. Believe me there is no better egg than one with a high sitting deep orange yolk> Our chickens have no curfew. They roam free all over the fields and always lay their eggs in three nest boxes in the barn. We get about 8 eggs a day(Many of our chickens have gone through henopause so they arent laying regularly)
boomerang

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:44 am
@farmerman,
My niece keeps three city chickens and I understand that she gets enough eggs to feed her whole neighborhood.

I suggested getting some chickens to Mr. B and he said..... well.... okay, I'm not going to repeat it. I don't know Mr. B even knew those kind of words.

Aren't those good eggs, JPB!

Lately I've been looking for foods that pack a flavor punch (see my butter thread) and have found that I must have just become accoustomed to bland food with lots of seasoning on it. Crazy.

I like eggs all kinds of ways too, mismi. I've been poaching these eggs just because they have so much flavor on their own.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:20 pm
My post is basically the same as Farmerman's. I've had chickens on and off for years. Nothing compares to eggs that come from happy hens. Chickens are easy to take care of and I love collecting the eggs to make the best breakfasts, quiches, pasta, and egg drop soup. I don't think I've bought a commercial brand of eggs for at least 20 years.

Boomer, If Mr. B softens on the idea, I can post a list of books and chick suppliers to get you started. Mo would have a blast. Just don't get a rooster.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:25 pm
I love eggs and would eat them regardless of how they are produced. I agree that farmerman's free range, no curfew eggs are best of all, but these days I use Eggland's Best. I believe the chicken's diet is extremely important. If only the chickens could roam, they would be even better.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:29 pm
I buy organic eggs from free range chickens, don't know the brand, but I can
tell the difference in taste. I like them scrambled with butter the best, but
I eat boiled ones quite often too. For some reason I don't like them poached...

farmerman, don't you have coyotes or other predators that get the chickens?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:30 pm
i love eggs any way they are prepared

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:40 pm
Sunnyside up. With grits. And toast for scraping up every morsel. Yum.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 12:50 pm
@boomerang,
I like Eggland's Best too! Really did notice a difference in flavor.

Agreed with those who talk about fresh eggs though, have had those sometimes and they're great.

I like 'em scrambled or used in an omelet/ fritatta. I do NOT like what sozlet calls "juicy" fried eggs (she and E.G. do).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:02 pm
I put them in the microwave and they blew up like.........CRAZY MAN!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:50 pm
@boomerang,
Poached Eggs on Toast with Country Poke Sausage from Early's Honey Stand.
http://www.earlysgifts.com/products.php?c=38

My neighbor from Tennessee made this for me when I was 7 years old and it's been my favorite ever since.

mismi

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@rosborne979,
My Mom makes chicken in a basket - I can't do it yet - need to practice I guess...she tears a hole in whole wheat toast and butters both sides...she then puts it in the (Pam sprayed) skillet and cracks an egg in the hole then flips it to finish the other side...it is quite yummy. So cool how she can do that.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:57 pm
@mismi,
Sounds good. I'll have to try that.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:08 pm
@mismi,
Mismi, in the diner trade that's called "Adam and Eve on a raft". Why can't you do it? I might be able to tell you what the technical problem is.
mismi

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:11 pm
@Green Witch,
I think I need a non-stick skillet Green Witch - I tear the outside of the egg when I turn it...maybe I need to go lower temp and let it cook longer on that first side...I have a steel skillet. I love it - but it is hard to do some things in...
George

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:12 pm
Omelets.
I love omelets.
I am an omelet Grand Master.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:59 pm
@mismi,
No teflon, that stuff will kill ya. A professional non-stick skillet is fine and worth the investment (ie Le Creuset). But the best trick is to first fully heat your pan before adding the grease*. Food doesn't stick when you do this. Most people make the mistake of adding the fat before the pan is fully hot. Using Pam is fine as additional insurance.
Make sure the egg touching the pan through the bread hole is cooked before turning - it should be fully white and not clear. The bread hole should be large enough for the yoke to sit in. However, it's not too tragic if the eggs break, they still taste good.

*butter, oil, lard, etc...
George

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:01 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
No teflon, that stuff will kill ya...

I didn't know that.