Israeli airstrikes in Gaza kill more than 200

Foofie

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:52 am
@masterk17,
Karma is not a western concept, I believe. I do not subscribe to it.
masterk17

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 02:04 pm
@Foofie,
Every one has his own Ups and Downs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:02 pm
Quote:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2igbqcz.jpg
Three of Palestine’s leading football players have been killed in Gaza the last 72 hours.

All of them, including current national team member, Ayman Alkurd of Falasteen Al-Ryadi , were killed in their homes by the Israeli bombing.

Shadi Sbakhe from Khadamat Alniserat club and a former national team member was the second player to be killed in the violence.

Yesterday 24-year-old mid-fielder for Gaza’s Ittihad Alshojaeya Club and former national squad member Wajeh Moshtahe was killed while at home. The young footballer was married.

Gaza’s Rafah Stadium suffered extensive damage in the ground offensive. It is the home of the Ahli Alenserat Club, one of the Palestinian League’s top clubs. No one was injured in the attack.

Source: International Sport Press Organisation
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:23 pm
If this was on purpose, the question would be why? Could it have something to do with the killing of Israeli olympic athletes in Germany, if this just was not a random bombing? Would the intended lesson be that elephants and Jews have long memories, so one always get payback eventually? Just a guess; I do not know.

By the way, one of the news reports mentioned that supposedly Hamas snipers killed that UN truck driver, not Israel?

I would think that this military action of Israel's might just make many U.S. left-wing voters, that voted for Obama, have the belief that the new President is going go come out very much against Israel. That might be quite wrong. Is not the democratic process adorable?
georgeob1

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:28 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I would think that this military action of Israel's might just make many U.S. left-wing voters, that voted for Obama, have the belief that the new President is going go come out very much against Israel. That might be quite wrong. Is not the democratic process adorable?

I would not call the activities of AIPAC or the rest of the Israeli lobby in this country either "adorable" or "democratic" - however successful they may be.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:40 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

By the way, one of the news reports mentioned that supposedly Hamas snipers killed that UN truck driver, not Israel?

You mean, Hamas had mounted that IDF tank?
Zippo

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:45 pm
Foofie wrote:
so one always get payback eventually? Just a guess

Exactly! Irans nuclear program is probably running on full speed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, at least on Friday last week, Maj.-Gen. (res.) Amos Gilad met with representatives from the UN and the ICRC to talk about such can be prevented. As a result, the IDF set up a joint center with the UN and the ICRC for the Gaza aid.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:04 pm
@Zippo,
Zippo wrote:

Foofie wrote:
so one always get payback eventually? Just a guess

Exactly! Irans nuclear program is probably running on full speed.

You must be the only one to think that.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:08 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

I would not call the activities of AIPAC or the rest of the Israeli lobby in this country either "adorable" or "democratic" - however successful they may be.

Did we enter WWII to save Israel? Apparently, there are other groups that have influence in the U.S. And, our dead from WWII was around 500,000, I believe. That is what makes our democracy so adorable. Everyone can push their respective agenda. The people that sit on the sidelines often might just whine that others have too much influence, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:

You mean, Hamas had mounted that IDF tank?

I thought I heard on tv that Germany officially blames Hamas for the Israeli response? Did you not say a while back something about the Fabian Society?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 05:42 pm
@Foofie,
Are you saying that you dont subscribe to ANY concept that you dont think is a "western concept"?
roger

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 05:53 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

If this was on purpose, the question would be why? Could it have something to do with the killing of Israeli olympic athletes in Germany, if this just was not a random bombing?

I could think of at least one reason for selecting an individual house for bombing. This would not be one of them.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:58 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Are you saying that you dont subscribe to ANY concept that you dont think is a "western concept"?

I like the Sicilian concept of making pizza square.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:50 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:
Oralloy wrote:
And free people have the right to defend themselves.

The more concealed weapons, the better.

glad to see your evaluation .

And free people have the right to defend themselves.

The more concealed atomic weapons , the better ???

I'd count Iran having nukes as less like "an ordinary person carrying a gun for self-defense" and more like "a mafia gangster carrying a gun to intimidate local businesses into paying protection money".

Also, Iran voluntarily gave up their right to have nukes when they joined the NPT.

hamburger wrote:
btw i believe those nations that have signed the non-proliferation treaty are free to renounce the treaty anytime ... just like people currently not carrying a concealed weapon , are free to decide anytime to carry a concealed weapon .
hbg

Yes. And had Iran renounced the NPT before starting their nuclear weapons program, there would be merit to an argument that the weapons program was legal.

However, they are developing nuclear weapons without having first renounced the treaty.

If they now try to legitimize their existing program by renouncing the treaty, I don't think either the US or Israel will accept the program as legitimate. (For that matter, I don't think the EU would consider the program as legitimate either.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
roger wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Do you remember how the Gazans reacted to 9/11?

Funny, I was just thinking of that.

I see this event referenced a lot. Based on the single video of the Palestinians cheering our misfortune I see many comments on the internet justifying whatever happens to them (not that either of you in particular feel this way).

I sort of feel that way. I am absolutely livid over the Gazan response to 9/11.

However, I am not letting my feelings get in the way of my defense of Israel's actions.

Robert Gentel wrote:
But that's just so simplistic, that way Palestinians could say the same about Israelis. With this much animosity there is bound to be ugly displays of happiness at the violence inflicted on the opposing sides.

We were not the opposing side. We had just made a major attempt to bring about the creation of a Palestinian state.

But even if we were the opposing side, I would still be livid over the Gazan response.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:16 pm
http://i43.tinypic.com/24b59ba.jpg

Quote:
Israeli shelling has caused heavy damage to the Commonwealth war graves in Gaza City, where British and Australian soldiers were buried after dying in the First World War. ...

The damage is much worse than that caused by Israeli forces in 2006 in an incident that briefly soured British-Israeli relations and led eventually to the Jewish state paying £90,000 in compensation.

A commission spokesman said a full damage assessment would be made as soon as it was once again safe to visit the site, which is north and east of Gaza City.

The Daily Telegraph found at least 287 headstones were damaged, some shattered beyond repair, as the cemetery was hit by at least five Israeli shells and its grass singed in places by white phosphorus.

Daily Telegraph report
0 Replies