Oops!

Letty

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 06:48 am
My apologies to Mr. Wizard, BillyFalcon, and Sophia for leaping into the "Identity" thread and excitedly posting a response about the following movie:

http://www.crankycritic.com/archive03/lifeofdavidgale.html

Not only did I leap and not look, I got the title of the movie wrong. Embarrassed

"The Life of David Gale" was a fantastic movie that kept me watching way past my bed time; however, I must admit that I have never seen a bad movie in which Kevin Spacey was involved.

I guessed the ending and that was also fun
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,051 • Replies: 11
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:48 pm
I'm with you, Letty. Kevin Spacey has made nothing but good (and some great) films. But I still haven't seen The Life of David Gale. So don't give anything away! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 04:18 am
Mac, no way would I divulge the ending of "The Life of David Gale". Actually, there were two heads working it out. My grandson is brilliant. heh heh. S.O.G.W.P.I.P. Figure that one out. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:57 pm
Even lukewarm reviews of a film will still not stop me from watching Kevin act. There's certainly nothing wrong with posting a link to a review in another thread, Letty. I think we thrashed "Identity" around enough to declare the body dead. I still haven't seen it but it isn't on my must see list -- I may use one of my free Pay-Per-Views or rent it on NetFlix someday.

"The Shipping News" was another not so great movie but another great Spacey performance. I don't believe he's capable of anything but. Really my favorite actor and my Mom's also.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 05:08 pm
My God, Mr. Wizard. I didn't even realize when I first watched "Seven"(was that the name of the film?) that he was the villain. I do believe that was the first film that I saw him in. Having watched it again the other night, I was stunned at his ability to express with his face, the entire resolution of insanity. Morgan Freeman ain't no slouch, either. Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 05:17 pm
You're right -- he doesn't have to speak. That expression on his face when he gets shot in "L.A. Confidential" just curdeled my blood. Kind of a sardonic, "So it's you -- well, too late to do anything about it now!" And that "I'm so pathetic" look at the end of "The Usual Suspects" threw me off completely.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 05:26 pm
and "American Beauty", Mr. Wizard. Wow! Some people were just born to the purple when it comes to acting.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:19 pm
Before Spacey was a popular movie star, he was excellent in the under appreciated TV series "Wiseguy" with Ken Wahl; also a Broadway revival of "Long Day's Journey--" with Jack Lemon.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:25 pm
He stole the show in "Wiseguy" and returned to Broadway in "The Iceman Cometh," a performance that garnered several awards. He's certainly racked up the awards in twelve short years:

1991: Tony: Best Featured Actor in a Play, Lost in Yonkers
1991: Drama Desk: Best Featured Actor in a Play, Lost in Yonkers
1995: National Board of Review: Best Supporting Actor, The Usual Suspects and Seven
1995: New York Film Critics Circle: Best Supporting Actor, Seven, The Usual Suspects, Swimming with Sharks and Outbreak
1995: Boston Society of Film Critics: Best Supporting Actor, The Usual Suspects
1995: Society of Texas Film Critics: Best Supporting Actor, The Usual Suspects, Seven and Outbreak
1995: Broadcast Film Critics Association: Best Supporting Actor, The Usual Suspects, Seven, Swimming with Sharks and Outbreak
1995: Chicago Film Critics: Best Supporting Actor, The Usual Suspects
1995: Oscar: Best Supporting Actor, The Usual Suspects
1996: MTV Movie Award: Best Villain, Seven
1997: Boston Society of Film Critics: Best Supporting Actor, L.A. Confidential
1997: Society of Texas Film Critics: Best Supporting Actor, L.A. Confidential and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
1998: London Evening Standard Award: Best Actor, The Iceman Cometh
1998: London Critics' Circle: Best Actor, The Iceman Cometh
1999: Olivier Award: Best Actor in a Play, The Iceman Cometh
1999: Outer Critics Circle: Outstanding Actor in a Play, The Iceman Cometh
1999: Toronto Film Critics Association: Best Actor, American Beauty
1999: Online Film Critics Society: Best Actor, American Beauty
1999: Online Film Critics Society: Best Ensemble, American Beauty
1999: Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association: Best Actor, American Beauty
1999: Screen Actors Guild: Male Actor in a Leading Role (Theatrical Motion Picture), American Beauty
1999: Screen Actors Guild: Outstanding Performance by a Cast (Theatrical Motion Picture), American Beauty; shared with cast mates
1999: Oscar: Best Actor, American Beauty
2000: Sundance Film Festival: Piper-Heidsieck Tribute to Independent Vision
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:27 pm
(An he should have won the Tony for "The Iceman Cometh")
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 07:01 pm
I had no idea that Kevin Spacey had such a history. Eugene O'Neill? Shocked
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 11:53 am
And as I recall, when he did Iceman Cometh on Broadway, he refused star billing.
0 Replies