Can any illegal drug be good for someone?

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:31 pm
Ok so I live in MI and maryjane was just legalized in our state. Well all know why a state would legalize it, but do you really think that it can help somebody? If so why? Think of any other drugs that you feel may help someone. Think of this. When I was doing crystal, I was in school. I never missed a day of school. When I went to my classes tweaking, I paid more attention to what was going on in class. I went home did ALL of my homework. I remember lookin at one of my report cards before I started using and my grades were either all d's or d's and f's. Then I looked at a report card that I got that had ALL a's on it. I was soo high on crystal that semester that I do not even remember most what happened at school or at home. So I ask do you think drugs can be good for some people? I know that no matter what no drug is good for anyone. This doesn't mean that I would go back and change things if I could, because I really do not want to. I am just wondering how other people feel about this.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 11:05 pm
@secondchance,
I think that drugs can have positives but I think that they'll rarely come without negatives and whether or not it's a net positive is hard for anyone to tell, most of all the user.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 11:41 pm
@secondchance,
it is possible to self medicate to a positive outcome. responsible use is required. For instance a couple of generations of artists have widely used drugs, convinced that the change in consciousness is of great help to their work. We moderns have no doubt but that it is a good idea to drug people up on Ritalin and anti anxiety drugs and antidepressants, this highly drugged society has no basis to complain about weed and coke. Meth though messes people up big time, so I don't see a lot of upside to that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:08 pm
@secondchance,
secondchance wrote:
So I ask do you think drugs can be good for some people?

Yes, and I'm one of them. My life would be impoverished without my daily glass of wine. I quite enjoyed the few joints I have tried. And sometime, when I'm in a better general mood than I am right now, I'd like to try LSD or one of its relatives, maybe magic mushrooms.

To me, consuming drugs is a matter of moderation, not abstinence.
0 Replies

serenity08

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 05:06 am
Yes they can! I use pot as an alternative to the two perscriptions handed to me by a doctor, and I feel comfortable saying that I can better regulate my own anxiety by self medicating with marijuana. A recently paralyzed friend uses it to stimulate appitite and as a mood enhancer.. why deny a natural substitute with no known harmful side effects?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:48 am
@serenity08,
Quote:
I can better regulate my own anxiety by self medicating with marijuana
this is exactly what I did for a couple of years, worked out very well. When asked I caution people about illegal drugs, then add "but they worked out very well for me and I would do it all over again"
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 06:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think I'm a better person now for my drug taking.
I think that seeing what is synthetic has helped me realise the fickleness of life, how most barriers are mental, see things more objectively, realise certain things don't matter, opened my mind more than I thought possible...
therefore, I wouldn't really change anything, BUT- some of my drugs experiences have been the WORST experiences of my whole entire life, and the whole thing almost cost me a large amount of my sanity........
It's a really dodgy area.
0 Replies

secondchance

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:15 pm
Ok I have noticed that a lot of you have said that marijuana is ok. I was not really asking about that. Marijuana was never my choice of drug. In fact I never even tried it until my 21st birthday. I had a lot of friends that smoked it but I saw the way they acted on it and I did not want anything to do with it. When I did try it, it was with one of the guys that I used to work with. He told me that if I was going to do any drug I need to do it with someone that I can trust to watch over me. I found this kind of funny because that is how I have always felt. He ended up staying at my house the night of my birthday and we smoked. I didn't like the fact that everything seemed to slow down. I did like the fact that I slept soooo good that night. Since then I have smoked with him a couple of times. My main question is how everyone felt about hard core illegal drugs. (Crack, Cocaine, Crank, Crystal, Heroin, etc.) Do you think any of the hard drugs can be good for someone. Like in my situation. Crystal was good for me because it helped me stay focused in school.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 11:38 pm
@secondchance,
Acid was good for me, but I only took it three times. That was all it made sense to take, there seemed to be nothing more to learn from it. I am glad that I did the three times though. Coke was fun but otherwise did nothing for me. I loved hash, but did not get to do it as much as I would have liked. Ecstasy was just coming out as decided to stop doing any drugs, based upon what I have heard I would have liked that a lot.

I would never make a diet of hard drugs...too much risk.
0 Replies

shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 12:34 pm
I think that its that whole everything in moderation saying, but the problem is most illegal drugs are addictive. If they weren't, and someone used them sparingly like once a month or something, I don't think they'd be bad. But because their addictive, that's not really possible.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 12:43 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:

I think that its that whole everything in moderation saying, but the problem is most illegal drugs are addictive. If they weren't, and someone used them sparingly like once a month or something, I don't think they'd be bad. But because their addictive, that's not really possible.

Only some people are prone to addiction, and addiction is only a bad thing if what ever you are addicted to decreases the quality of your life and/or is not always available. You cant make the blanket statement that people are addicted to drugs so there-for they are bad. There are certain drugs like Crank and Heroin which addict most everyone, and so I see those drugs as bad and worthy of criminalization, but I note that I once read an entire book on the virtues of Heroin arguing that it should be legal.
0 Replies

shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 01:52 pm
Well that's true, not all drugs are addictive, like pot I don't think is known for it;s addictive properties, but I think people become addicted to what the drug does, whatever that drug is. I mean, if they weren't addicted to the effects of drugs, why do people do them on a regular basis? So I believe in some way, every drug is somewhat addictive to each person in a different way. And that's when you get the negative effects of drugs I think.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 01:59 pm
@shay15,
Quote:
I mean, if they weren't addicted to the effects of drugs, why do people do them on a regular basis?

One possibility: Because the practice brings value to life. Why do you assume that people are so weak that if they are doing drugs it must be because the drug has a hammer lock on them? I know that this is the story that the anti-drug zealots tell, but you are smart enough to not buy into their undocumented and irrational clap-trap aren't you? Those who are trying to get you to conform to their will are not to be relied on for anything, use your own eyes and do your own thinking.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 02:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I think that drugs can have positives but I think that they'll rarely come without negatives and whether or not it's a net positive is hard for anyone to tell, most of all the user.
This may be true, but did we ever grant jurisdiction
to any government to control what we citizens can legally ingest?

I believe that we did not.

David
shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 02:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well if ingesting drugs causes harm to others, then I don't see why it shouldn't be banned.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 03:08 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:

Well if ingesting drugs causes harm to others,
HOW ?
shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 03:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well people who are hardcore addicted to drugs will do bad things to get them, I mean all the drug wars in Colombia and stuff, you know?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 03:25 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
Well people who are hardcore addicted to drugs will do bad things to get them,
I mean all the drug wars in Colombia and stuff, you know?
Thay can get them easily n cheaply (as thay used to b4 thay were outlawed) if thay r legal.

What happens in Colombia is none of our business.

David
shay15

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well it's not just Colombia. The fact is that they are people, and that's what drugs have created.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 05:32 pm
@shay15,
shay15 wrote:
Well it's not just Colombia.

The fact is that they are people, and that's what drugs have created.
That is none of the government's business.
It has no jurisdiction to look after the well being of the people of Colombia.

David
0 Replies