merry andrew is in the hospital

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:43 am
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
The hardest part is making the decisions -- what to throw in the rubbish, what to pack up, how to pack it, etc, etc. etc. It's nerve-wracking.

I can understand that. You'd have to be absolutely ruthless. A person accumulates a lot of things that are valued in a life-time. I'd be hopeles at getting rid of most of it. Good luck!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:09 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

The actual physical work isn't the problem. The hardest part is making the decisions -- what to throw in the rubbish, what to pack up, how to pack it, etc, etc. etc. It's nerve-wracking. I have more people who've offered to help with the moving of furniture etc. than I can use.

Andy, you always can put things into storage, if you want to keep them. I have moved so many times, I have learned to not get attached to things that
much, except for a few items.

Only a few more days of cold Boston and then you're in a sunny place
sipping a virgin Pina Colada in your Hawaiian shirt and flip flops.
Sglass

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
@CalamityJane,
NO NO Jane. Tell Merry Andrew to donate everything to Goodwill and start over. He is already paying $90 a month on a storage unit that he is not quite sure of what is in there.

I tellyawhat Jane, I am going to have him send you his 52 year old suit that he wore to his highschool graduation.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:56 pm
MA, We just finished a huge renovation project on our house last year, and had to pack over 200 boxes of "junk" before the workers could begin work inside the house. They tore out most of the old plaster walls, and this house was so dusty, it covered everything not protected under plastic tarps.

We threw out old stuff as we packed the boxes, but still find junk that should have been thrown out when we first packed that stuff. I couldn't get rid of a lot of bookkeeping records when I did consulting work, because it had too many personal information on them including social security numbers. Luckily for us, a shredding company "volunteered" to take boxes of it for shredding last year, so we loaded up my car and took most of it. We're waiting for another freeby so we can get rid of some more stuff. My wife gave away a bunch of her clothes to Goodwill - some new stuff were included. I have about ten suits that I should get rid of, but it's been difficult even though I know we rarely, if ever, wear suits any more - even to wedding and funerals.

My advise? Get rid of 50% of the junk you have accumulated; you won't miss it.

When the rainy season ends, my wife and I are both going to attack the stuff still in boxes and get rid of most of it.

We don't miss any of the stuff we already threw out.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:09 pm
@Sglass,
Seaglass, I rather take his 200 year old bureau instead Wink
Sglass

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:32 pm
@CalamityJane,
Jane, these chests are absolutely beautiful, I bought them in New Jersey in the early 60's and paid a lot for them. Wonder what they are worth now. I have no idea who made them or what area of upstate New York. They'll stay in storage in Boston for awhile. Maybe the Antique Road Show will come back to Boston and they can be taken there.
0 Replies