☎ Interesting ways to deal with telemarketers

Intrepid

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 08:40 am
Telemarketer: Hello, is Blah Blah there?
Me: Do you want Blah Blah senior or Blah Blah junior?
Telemarketer: Blah Blah senior.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry, but Blah Blah senior doesn't live here. He lived here in 1982, but doesn't live here anymore. I don't have his current telephone number handy. Would you like me to have him call you when I see him?
Telemarketer: Oh, um, that's ok! Thank you. <click>

...of course, it is reversed if they say junior.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:03 am
@Intrepid,
Nowadays, I just let the answering machine get it if I don't recognize the number. The computers usually hang up.

In the old days, I'd say "let me get him for you" and just leave the phone on the counter for 1/2 hour or so before hanging up.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:58 pm
@Mame,
Mine goes something like this:

Telemarketer: Hello, could I speak to Mrs Olga, please? (always Mrs ..)
Me: Who's calling, please?
Telemarketer: Company XYZ
Me: Oh, I'm sorry, but you're wasting your time & energy. I'm as broke as a church mouse. Not a cent to bless myself with! Thanks, anyway!
Telemarketer: Oh, sorry! Thank you. <click>

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 10:11 pm
I just say, "Is this a sales call?" When they reply "Yes", I hang up without any further comment.

However, in future, I will be asking them to remove our phone number from their list. Even though our number is on the national "Do not call list", certain groups are still allowed to phone you and bug you for money. I will put a stop to this.
bathsheba

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:07 pm
@Reyn,
Not to offend any possible JW's here, and I'm not one, but this works for me if I'm in the mood. Otherwise I just hang up.

I tell them I'm a Jehovah Witness and ask if they have about 15 minutes of time so I can talk to them about what our mission is. You'll hear 'click' on the other end. Smile They always call when it's most inconvenient, don't they?
Bathy
Dianne
0 Replies