OIL DELIVERY OVERFILLED MY TANK

farmerman

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:11 pm
@Region Philbis,
peroxide is a good agent to break certain chem bonds. Itd probably work on the fuel oil but I think Id wind up with shorter chained hydrocarbons. We have often used peroxide or some other oxidizing agent in ground water cleanups on mine sites.

Id strongly recommend the coffee trick for anyone whose had a basement petroleum leak or spill.
0 Replies

dogbite1

Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:55 am
Denachured alcohol is one option
Another is to go to a plumbing supply house, pick up two specific products for fuel oil spills. One is a spray and can neutralize the smells, the other is a powder that will absorb the smells and the oil. Both products are called Odor-Gone, Odor-Away, or something similar. Ask the salesman at the counter but it should be available right off the shelf.
dogbite1

Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:03 am
@dogbite1,
An ozone machine is another option if you do not mind spending the money to rent it. This machine will absorb the fuel smell, but, will emit another odor which smells like a burning candle (??) and is not unpleasant.
Call a local environmental company to get a rental price if your local rental companies do not have one. ie: United Rentals or other construction rental company.
farmerman

Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:59 am
@dogbite1,
The fuel oil company acted a bit responsibly while still trying to make it appear that it was my fault. They got the mess cleabned up and then we went and dumped the coffe grounds all over. Its not any big deal, the coffee acts sort of like a granular activated carbon shield, and besides it emits a really nice coffe odor. WE kept the coffee down for about a week and the smelol was all gone. This has been a year ago next week and Ive almost forgotten about it.

Since then, however, weve changed over to a high efficiency gas (propane) ystem with a tankless water heater. Our fuel bills have plummeted for this old barn of a house.
0 Replies