OIL DELIVERY OVERFILLED MY TANK

ossobuco

Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:22 am
@farmerman,
I also thought of ozone - it worked on our gallery studio when there was a fire next door that caught part of the edge of our place and we had smoke infiltration. Don't know about oil odor, etc.

But, it sounds like you're doing fine with these other ideas..
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:25 am
The fuel oil company guys just left and the entire house smells like somebody dipped oranges in kerosene.
hamburger

Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:35 am
@farmerman,
farmerman :

that happened to friends of ours some years ago .
by order of the health department they had to move out of the house - this stuff can be pretty toxic .
cement floor was ripped out and repoured .
oil company's insurer had to pay up - after threatened with law suit .
even after some years there is still some lingering smell when the furnace comes on in the fall .
you better read the oil company the RIOT ACT - NOW !
hbg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 16 Dec, 2008 07:59 pm
@farmerman,
I think it's possible to burn the smell out...

First, thoroughly clean the area around the fuel tank with lighter fluid. Then leave a lit candle in the basement to help the drying process and leave the house for a day to give the fumes a chance to "clear".

(but first, make sure the house is insured for about 5 times what it's worth)

(take all advice with a grain of salt)
spendius

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:03 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
(take all advice with a grain of salt)

What a silly thing to say.
farmerman

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:36 am
@spendius,
Quote:
What a silly thing to say

Spendi, the master of the obvious.
spendius

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:51 am
@farmerman,
effemm knifes ros.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:18 pm
@mysteryman,
I have to say that MM's suggestion with the coffee works like a charm. Actually coffee is sorta like activated charcoal (only safer because its grains are uniform and wont lodge in the cement floor).
WE dumped the coffee and mixed it with the speedy dry (cat litter). The odor is mostly all gone and Ill sweep up the mix tomorrow so the cats dont decied to take a dump in the mixture.

GREAT SUGGESTION< WORTHY OF A WRITE IN TO MAATHA
ossobuco

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
terrific...
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:24 pm
@farmerman,
That's why coffee is more populat than tea in American posh restaurants. It absorbs the farts best and the taste isn't impaired so you would notice.
farmerman

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:27 pm
@spendius,
I will accept your superior knowledge of flatulence.
Ticomaya

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
We have an oil tank in the basement of the house. It a 500 gal tank and the oil service overfilled it while we were away and the house smells like diesel and there a huge puddle on the basement floor. Whats a good odor cancelling substance that is commercially available?

This is the sort of question where I normally say to myself, "Farmerman would know the answer to that."
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:39 pm
@farmerman,
Well effemm. The vast bulk of A2Kers are more concerned with farts than with oil spills in the boiler room. Or at least I hope so.

It was your idea about odour eaters. It is well known that when a prospective buyer comes to view a house for sale it is a good idea to have coffee percolating on the stove.

Now we know why. We have the science.

They say baking bread is as good.
farmerman

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:41 pm
@spendius,
try not to sell a house while you have a pwetroleum spill going on in the basement.

I heard that an apple pie in the oven will sell a house better than burying ST Joseph in your lawn.
spendius

Wed 17 Dec, 2008 06:50 pm
@farmerman,
What about dog smells. I heard they were worse than a faint odour seeping down from the landing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:57 am
An update on the oil spill. I tried the suggestion from MM and IT WORKED!!.
After about a week of the coffee treatment (post cleanup of visible oil), The odor got sucked away and (IMHO) was adsorbed onto the coffee grounds
djjd62

Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:59 am
@farmerman,
how was the coffee, you could probably give starbucks a run for there money

high octane java Cool
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:06 am
@farmerman,
Im glad to see that it worked for you.
Its a cheap, effective way to remove odors from a room.

Glad I was able to help.
spendius

Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
@mysteryman,
It's a good job it doesn't shift bullshit or effemm would be rendered speechless.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:14 pm
@farmerman,

there was a fascinating episode on Nature last night about skunks and skunk spray.
according to chemist William Wood of Humboldt State University in California, you can remove eua du skunk
Quote:
with a mixture of three percent hydrogen peroxide and a quarter cup of baking soda per quart of hydrogen peroxide. And a little liquid detergent.
http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/sci_update.cfm?DocID=200