Throwing Shoes at President Bush

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:41 pm

"We will be greeted as liberators."

In honesty, I do feel this is a sad thing. As much as this affirms many of the thoughts I have had about how poorly we have handled Iraq; how poorly he has handled Iraq, I hate seeing this kind of thing.

I honestly would have rather been wrong all these years and be closer to peace.

The pressure is on you Mr. Obama.
K
O

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 09:42 pm
This is being discussed over here:

http://able2know.org/topic/126745-1
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:36 pm
saboteur!
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:22 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

saboteur!

Smartarse!
margo

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:24 am
@dlowan,
I laughed out loud when I finally got that one! Rolling Eyes

Thanks Deb, for the tip Cool
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 04:28 am
@margo,
I live to serve.
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:23 am
@dlowan,
Gee dwollie-- I thought you were a Darwin/Dawkins fan. The Selfish Gene and all that.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:43 am
@Diest TKO,

There is usually at least one asshole in the audience... at least our president has great reflexes Cool
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:55 am
It shows something about the man who threw the shoe, but nothing at all about the president or our policies.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:59 am

I understand shoe throwing reporters are now training for accuracy
on life size cardboard cut-outs of soon to be president elect Obama.

Obama is currently honing his ducking skills...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 07:12 am
@Brandon9000,
So I guess when the French cut off the head of Louis the 16th it said something about the mob, but nothing about the king or his governments policies.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 07:23 am
@Green Witch,
That was a nation as a whole having a revolution. I suppose if someone throws a tomato at Obama when he gives a speech, it means that his policies must be wrong. Is that correct?
aidan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:02 am
@Brandon9000,
I am pretty impressed with how unflappable he (Bush) seemed to be about the whole thing- he barely even ducked or looked surprised.
But his reaction (or lack of reaction) just sort of underlies what I've always believed about him :
I just don't think he thinks deeply enough to even realize what sort of havoc has been wreaked for ordinary people and families in Iraq. And although I do believe that he acted with what he believed was justification and the best intentions-(although I think he was wrong) and I don't attribute any evildoing or actual malice in his thought processes around the whole thing- his joke at the end sort of belittles the frustrations of what are probably millions of Iraqis. In other words - he STILL just doesn't get it.

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:13 am
@aidan,
HE doesn't get what?

The fact that this reporter is still alive tells me Iraq has come a long way.
aidan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:47 am
@Woiyo9,
Yeah - and the fact that Bush isn't calling for the guy's head tells me a lot about him- I actually think he'd be a pretty likeable guy in almost any other role- how many men in that sort of powerful position would chuckle and laugh something like this off?
I just don't think he has a head for nuances- which is sort of important when you're running a superpower.
I don't think he understands or gets the fact that the shoe wasn't thrown in jest - it was a sign of frustration- maybe emblematic of how many Iraqis feel - frustrated to the point of loss of control at the tragic cesspool their country has become- and it probably isn't the time to make a joke about a frustrated Iraqi's behavior (if you want to appear at all empathetic or professional).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:48 am
Sole-less bastard.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:49 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I just don't think he thinks deeply enough to even realize what sort of havoc has been wreaked for ordinary people and families in Iraq.

Rolling Eyes Are you saying ordinary Iraqi families long for life as it was under a brutal dictator?

I don't think you fully grasp how bad it was for so long and just how good it now is over there.
aidan

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 08:52 am
@H2O MAN,
No, I readily admit I can't grasp it - how could I? But I at least have the wherewithal to know that I CAN'T grasp and will never be able to grasp how horrible it was or even is now - so I'd never make a ******* joke about how anyone over there chooses to voice or enact their frustration.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:03 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

HE doesn't get what?

The fact that this reporter is still alive tells me Iraq has come a long way.

I imagine that if Bush and Saddam Hussein had a joint press conference and the same reporter threw his shoes and Bush, the repercussions for that reporter may have been far less onerous than the ones he's facing now.

Ronald Reagan used to tell a joke that went something like this: "I told Premier Gorbachev that America is a free nation where anyone can walk right up to the president and tell him that he's doing a lousy job. Gorbachev replied: 'the Soviet Union is also a free nation just like the US -- anyone can walk right up to me and tell me that Ronald Reagan is doing a lousy job as well.'"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 09:08 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I am pretty impressed with how unflappable he (Bush) seemed to be about the whole thing- he barely even ducked or looked surprised.
But his reaction (or lack of reaction) just sort of underlies what I've always believed about him :
I just don't think he thinks deeply enough to even realize what sort of havoc has been wreaked for ordinary people and families in Iraq. And although I do believe that he acted with what he believed was justification and the best intentions-(although I think he was wrong) and I don't attribute any evildoing or actual malice in his thought processes around the whole thing- his joke at the end sort of belittles the frustrations of what are probably millions of Iraqis. In other words - he STILL just doesn't get it.

And what is the "it" that he doesn't get? I repeat, if someone throws a tomato at Obama, does it mean that his policies were wrong?