The Spendius for dummies thread

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 05:14 pm
Some background.

In http://able2know.org/topic/126569-4#post-3501514 the venerable Green Witch said:
Quote:
I rarely understand what Spendius is trying to communicate, but I can always tell from the tone that it's negative.

I concurred on the incoherence (not so much on the negative) and said that I thought Spendi sometimes replies under the influence of alcohol because often his comments often don't make much sense.

Spendi then offered, very kindly:
Quote:
If you'll quote an example rather than just asserting that I rarely make sense I will do my best to explain what I meant.

So this is your chance to have the master of Spendius translate what he meant (if only James Joyce had been so kind)

I'll kick off.

http://able2know.org/topic/63436-1

A thread about a Naomi Wolf article on the decline of Bush's star after Katrina. You're the ninth post:
Spendi wrote:
Gore Vidal was on here on Sat.He claimed you were suffering from a blackout on information.

He looked quite well considering.

Pardon?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 05:46 pm
spendi is an enigma without a clear answer as why he responds to threads as he does; it's a mixture of too much alcohol, too much reading of the classics, and his ability to babble on with no connection to the topic of the thread.

What spendi has accomplished during all these years of posting are several: 1) he loves to visit the local pub daily, 2) he loves to show everybody that he's well read, 3) he's a male chauvinist pig, and 4) he's scared shitless in front of women.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 05:51 pm
I thought this was a thread to encourage Spendius to better explain the meaning behind his cryptic posts that confound people so we can better understand him.

Is it necessary to pile on and take his inventory too?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 05:58 pm
Ah spendius is harmless. He just doesn't go out much (aside from the local pub) and thus has no idea how to behave in public nor with people. We're (a2k) his
window to the world so to speak. Other than this he's only got his books.
roger

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's it. We have existance because we're part of his therapy.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:15 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Spendi wrote:
Gore Vidal was on here on Sat.He claimed you were suffering from a blackout on information.

He looked quite well considering.

That's pretty straightforward. I wasn't trying to be obtuse or cryptic. Have you seen Vidal recently? He does look quite well considering.

Why would anybody think that difficult to understand? It's off topic.

And you just elected a president who was an info vacuum.

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Ah spendius is harmless. He just doesn't go out much (aside from the local pub) and thus has no idea how to behave in public nor with people. We're (a2k) his window to the world so to speak. Other than this he's only got his books.

Cal does like to fantasise.

Her failure to make a gracious response to my highly complimentary response to her contribution to Becksie's "Eyes" thread has left me dumbfounded. I can only think that she has a puritanical streak.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:25 pm
@spendius,
That's nice Spendi but what about 'He claimed you were suffering from a blackout on information.'

Also, I don't have a president (except maybe of the local bowls club). I'm an aussie, mate! And just possibly, given the 'pub' references, you are a pom. Natural enemies! Wink
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:29 pm
@roger,
Quote:
That's it. We have existance because we're part of his therapy.

And I only have existence as part of your's.

Are you knocking social contacts. Most wives only have existence as part of their husband's therapy. What would women do if he didn't need it and was content to listen to Elton John records?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:30 pm
@spendius,
spendi, Some do; they are content to listen to xxxxxx records 24/7.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:41 pm
@hingehead,
Never mind "natural enemies" hinge. I love Australians. I saw a film once, in my formatives, of Chips Rafferty singing Waltzing Matilda and it was the first time I got an inkling that things were not as they seem.

If I had to leave England Australia is the only country I would consider.

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:46 pm
@spendius,
And Prisoner in Cell Block H is one of my all-time favourites. I know a guy who has downloaded every episode and is working his way through them. He reckons that the meaning of life is somewhere inside it all.

Doreen blew our minds.
spendius

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:57 pm
@spendius,
I can't deal with any more requests for clarifications tonight. I'm going to bed. It's 1 a.m. here. I have to be up by 10.30.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:18 pm
The guy has some good lines, however much he might piss people off

"Excuse me while I find a drain big enough to do a hollow laugh down"
Spendius

Laughing
that's good writing. So good, i kept that line. I like reading Spendi sometimes (from a distance)

btw - I'm a recluse - it doesn't necessarily mean you are unsociable - just not wanting to be part of society for now. (although i AM unsociable myself, i admit)

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:50 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
"Excuse me while I find a drain big enough to do a hollow laugh down"
Spendius

Sorry, but the first thing that came to mind was spendi sticking his head into the toilet bowl.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:53 pm
Spendi is deeper than y'all give him credit for, albeit a bit daft...

Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:54 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
btw - I'm a recluse - it doesn't necessarily mean you are unsociable - just not wanting to be part of society for now. (although i AM unsociable myself, i admit)

unsociable is okay, Endy. It's antisocial that's troublesome. I'm a loner myself, but I love most people.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:59 pm
Regardless how anyone feels, spendius is part of our dysfunctional a2k family,
and he would be missed were he not here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
OUCH! Truth hurts. Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
[...] our dysfunctional a2k family [...]

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/crazies.jpg
0 Replies