Joe the Plumber trashes McCain in new book

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:16 pm
http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/12/10/joe-the-plumber-trashes-mccain-in-new-book/

By Jimmy Orr | 12.10.08

Hey, Joe the Plumber is back. And just like Bruce Willis " with a vengeance.

You remember Joe the Plumber, aka: Joe Wurzelbacher, the unlicensed plumber who John McCain used as a prop in the waning days of his campaign.

Well, he’s got a book out (who doesn’t?). And in the fine tradition of Scott McClellan, he’s biting the hand that fed him. Or perhaps snarking down the whole arm. We don’t know. The book’s not quite out yet. He’s just promoting it.

So he went on Glenn Beck’s radio program yesterday to discuss “Fighting for the American Dream”. What can we expect? The vaunted “inside look” at the campaign. Why? Because, according to Joe, he’s smarter than most.

“I like to think I’m a little more educated than some out there in politics just because it is interesting to me,” he said.

Hard to argue with that one. There are very few other people interested in politics so it should be enlightening.

How’d he like the campaign?

“I honestly felt more dirty after I was on the campaign trail and saw some things that took place,” Wurzelbacher said.

Like what?

He really doesn’t say. He was doing the “promote-a-book” thing where you tease someone with enticing parts of an expose’ to get you to buy the book (which is out later this month).

The problem is, he didn’t really have anything enticing to say.

So Beck pushed him on it: “Tell me something about John McCain that I don’t know.”

Radio silence. Followed by a lot of “uhhhh, ummmm, uhhhhh, well, uhhhhhhh…..”

Finally, he came up with the bailout. Yeah, that’s the ticket. The bailout.

“When I was on the bus with him, I asked him a lot of questions about the bailout because most Americans didn’t want it to happen - yet he voted for it,” he said. “At the same time he’s talking about making someone famous if they even think about putting pork in the bill. We all know how much pork was in the $700 million bailout package. Why did he vote for it?”

“I asked him pretty direct questions, and some of the answers you guys are going to receive … they appalled me,” he said apparently alluding to the promise that his book will be a tell-all. “I was angry. I wanted to get off the bus after I talked to him.”

Why didn’t he?

“Because the thought of Barack Obama scared me even more,” he said.

Hmmmm…. OK, Joe. We’ll see if your strategy of throwing Senator McCain under the bus works out - even if he didn’t discard you when he could have.

ABC’s Jake Tapper hit the nail on the head this morning when he reminded us that McCain stood by Wurzelbacher even when the faux plumber astoundingly began dispensing foreign policy advice.

Let us recall that McCain stood by Wurzelbacher even after he agreed that a vote for Barack Obama is a vote for the “death of Israel,” prompting Fox News’ Shep Smith to say of Wurzelbacher, “it just gets frightening sometimes.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a bunch of questions about this, but I'll start out with these three:

1. Why is it that many writers have to claw and fight to get even a short article published, and this humongous douchebag gets his own ******* book?

2. What kind of moron is actually going to read this thing?

3. What an ungrateful douchebag this guy is!

Okay, I know, that last one isn't a question. So sue me. Or better yet, write a book about it. If you're a big enough tool, I'm sure you'll get it published immediately.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,838 • Replies: 7
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 02:21 pm
@kickycan,
“Fighting for the American Dream”

huh, was "Autobiography of an American Douche Bag" taken?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:16 pm
Just proves the point that many Americans are not only ignorant but stupid, and there's no cure for stupid.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 05:21 pm
@kickycan,
First off, I'd like to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that it's not the company I work for that's publishing this dreck:
http://adage.com/article?article_id=133023

Anyway, why do publishing houses give contracts to yahoos like this? They (the publishers) are looking to cash in on the 15 minutes and make a quickie buck, of course. But this is not a way to build a back catalog and is not only destined to fail (think of movies with big openings and lousy second weeks --- I predict something similar herein) it will also potentially drag down the publisher in the future.

There is, of course, a market for dreck. So some product will be moved. But probably not enough for the publisher to make back the overhead (advertising + advance + creation costs like editing and proofreading). The company is something called "PearlGate", which I've never heard of. You hear of Random House, Knopf, Harcourt, etc. but not this, which sounds like not much of a step above self-publishing. Old Joe might not even have gotten an advance, and might even be footing the bill for a lot of the costs, making it a virtual twin of self-publishing.

What a maroon. And by that I mean not only old Joe but also anyone who thought he had enough to have a book in him.

Gawd. Rolling Eyes
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 06:24 pm
@jespah,
well, profiteers are us, eh?

It's weird. I've some reasonably famous people in my photo piles, godknowsjustwhere, but have a sense of privacy re them - they were private photos. They'll probably flume in the trash when I die.

So when I see dreck, I can snarfle in multiple ways - the whole so what thing, and a side yuckeroo at the exploitation of real people.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
<I usually like spaghetti>

Adds, I'm working at seeing Joe as victim.
jespah

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 04:41 am
@ossobuco,
Nah, Joe's enjoying the attention and looking to extend it. He hasn't had to work for this kind of attention and likes the candy-type high it gives him, I'll wager. He also, I suspect, has no one in his inner circle telling him what an idiot he looks like, or trying to help him at least sound less like one. There are no brakes on the Joe the Plumber Express.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 01:19 pm
@jespah,
Somewhat the same thing happened to Sarah Palin; she's now the darling of the GOP.
0 Replies