4

Age of cast iron kettle?

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 07:47 am
I found a cool cast iron kettle at a thrift shop and I would love to know how old it is and who made it. It looks very much like the following picture (the site doesn't give a date for the kettle) except that my kettle doesn't have a "star 7" but just a "7" on the top. Instead of a star it has three rings making it look like it might have been meant to be a cooktop of some sort. There aren't any other markings on the kettle to help me track it down. I'm just curious about it.

Any ideas?

http://www.amadhatters.com/images/30/30-26217_large.jpg

Thanks!

Bella Dea

1  
Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 07:57 am
I've been looking all over for that!

Kidding....but it is pretty cool.

I've found it's really hard to date and identify things without specific and well known markings. Maybe you have an antique dealer in your area who could help?

Green Witch

1  
Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:08 am
@boomerang,
I assume it's rather heavy. They are used on top of hot woodstoves to add some moisture to the air. You fill them with water and they produce steam. You can buy them today and I don't think yours is older than the 1970s. But if you want to pretend it once belonged to Laura Ingalls Wilder I'll go along with it.

boomerang

1  
Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:10 am
That's exactly what I bought it for Green Witch!

It does weigh a ton. I don't think it's worth anything, I was just curious about it. I love cast iron. I have several pans that belonged to my grandmother that I still use a lot.
Green Witch

1  
Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:17 am
@boomerang,
They work just fine. We have one shaped like dragon and it was supposed to "breath fire", but you can barely see the steam and the moisture drips out of his snout making him appear to have chronic post nasal drip. The kettle style is a more practical choice.
sozobe

1  
Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
We have one shaped like dragon and it was supposed to "breath fire", but you can barely see the steam and the moisture drips out of his snout making him appear to have chronic post nasal drip.

Laughing

Cute kettle, and nice idea.
Green Witch

1  
Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:24 am
@sozobe,
Here he is without his drip:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EN0M8W6XL._SS400_.jpg

ossobuco

1  
Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:13 pm
I like both of those, the kettle type and the snot nosed dragon...