Color Video of Kamikaze attacks in WWII

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 07:38 pm
Quote:
It is easy to talk about death in the abstract, as the ancient philosophers discussed. But it is real death I fear, and I don’t know if I can overcome the fear. Even for a short life, there are many memories. For someone who had a good life, it is very difficult to part with it. But I reached a point of no return. I must plunge into an enemy vessel.
To be honest, I cannot say that the wish to die for the emperor is genuine, coming from my heart. However, it is decided for me that I die for the emperor.

"Hayashi Ichizo

I cannot praise Japan any longer. The war is not to protect the country but the inevitable result of the way Japan has developed into a nation. … I feel that I have to accept the fate of my generation to fight in the war and die. I call it ‘fate’, since we have to go to the battlefield to die without being able to express our opinions, criticize and argue pros and cons of issues, and behave with principles, that is after being deprived of my own agency…. To die in the war, to die at the demand of the nation " I have no intention whatsoever to praise it; it is a great tragedy

"Hayashi Tadao

Japanese Kamikaze pilot survives but then grenades himself:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,726 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 08:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I had always kinda felt there had to be accounts like those, RG.

(I read a lot 'bout the war, but kinda left the kamikaze insider thing be for obvious reasons)no speakie japanese...

I think many generations feel the sense of duty pressed on them by the generations before.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
It is easy to talk about death in the abstract, as the ancient philosophers discussed. But it is real death I fear, and I don’t know if I can overcome the fear. Even for a short life, there are many memories. For someone who had a good life, it is very difficult to part with it. But I reached a point of no return. I must plunge into an enemy vessel.
To be honest, I cannot say that the wish to die for the emperor is genuine, coming from my heart. However, it is decided for me that I die for the emperor.

"Hayashi Ichizo

I cannot praise Japan any longer. The war is not to protect the country but the inevitable result of the way Japan has developed into a nation. … I feel that I have to accept the fate of my generation to fight in the war and die. I call it ‘fate’, since we have to go to the battlefield to die without being able to express our opinions, criticize and argue pros and cons of issues, and behave with principles, that is after being deprived of my own agency…. To die in the war, to die at the demand of the nation " I have no intention whatsoever to praise it; it is a great tragedy

"Hayashi Tadao

Yes it is.

Those poor men....all of them...both sides.

0 Replies