Rainsoft systems - resin replacement, etc

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 06:43 pm
I found a discussion on the site about Rainsoft and have a question for those knowledgeable about them. I purchased a house with a 13 year old system. Recently, I lost water pressure to the house and a black substance was pooling in the toilets. Turns out that it was the resin from the Rainsoft system and the plumber had to put my water on by-pass so that I could have any usage in the house. Rainsoft now tells me that I can replace the resin for $1,080 or can have a new system for $2,850 by selling back the old one to them and buying a new one. This is a lot of $$$$$ either way! I have never had a water filtration or softener system before, so can really use some advice.

Thank you!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 22,490 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:29 pm
@homequestions,
They are crooks and any online water treatment dealer, plumbers are a bad choice, can sell you any type you need for $80-$130 per cubic foot bag. You may only need 1 to 1.5 cuft. Local dealers will be only a bit more.

And if you have the desire and can use basic hand tools you can replace your own resin.

You also need a new distributor tube and bottom bracket, yours probably has broken and is allowing resin out of the tank. If you take yours in to a local dealer they should be able to duplicate it for $10-$20. The only other possibility is a bad distributor tube oring that's up it the bottom of the control valve.

Otherwise you could buy a new softener online for between $600 and $800 depending on the size you need, and install it your self or have a plumber do it for $250-400.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 06:35 pm
@homequestions,
homequestions wrote:

Rainsoft now tells me that I can replace the resin for $1,080 or can have a new system for $2,850 by selling back the old one to them and buying a new one. This is a lot of $$$$$ either way! I have never had a water filtration or softener system before, so can really use some advice.

Run as far away from RainSoft as fast as you can!

Find a local ECOwater dealer or local independent that uses Fleck valves.
You want to deal with someone that sells, installs and services what they
sell just as long as it's not RainSoft.

Good luck.
0 Replies

waterdude

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:39 pm
@homequestions,
Rainsoft units are very exclusive ....there so many water softeners out there from Culligan,Fleck and Ecowater but try to stay away from Home Depot .....black media from carbon mixed up in Resin that breaks down and usually shows up in commodes....Rainsoft has stop mixing Carbon with Resin years ago
take care
0 Replies

charles rhoads

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
Does anyone know what to use when you replace the media in the tank and where to purchase it?? Any information would be very helpfull.
Thanks
CDR
Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:03 pm
@charles rhoads,
Any independent online or local dealer can. National brand dealers usually will charge much more than an independent dealer will.
0 Replies

mr stik

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 02:12 pm
I have a rainsoft system that was stored for years. When I asked to have it installed, I was told the resin in tank needs to be replaced. over $1000.00
Also the controler could not be removed from the tank. They said the oder from the tank suggests the resin need replaced. Can I clean the tank by flushing with cleener. what other option might I have.
mr stik

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 02:16 pm
@mr stik,
How do I buy a resin tank if I can not get the controler off of it. And what happened to life time warranties?
0 Replies

dfwcontract

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:34 pm
@homequestions,
Rainsoft has a lifetime warranty on the resin tanks. The only charge is the service call fee (about $115 - $150). I have had my Rainsoft system for about 12 years and recently had a problem with the resin beads leaking from the membrane. The water pressure in the house went to almost nothing, all faucets, showers, toilets, etc. I had a plumber come out, and he found that my PRV (Pressure Reducer Valve) was full of resin beads. Aha! Resin beds could only come from one place, Rainsoft.

The Pressure Reducer Valve is installed in the ground and controls the water pressure coming in to the house. The water pressure from the city is about 130psi, which is way too powerful for a house to handle. So, most homes have a PRV in the ground (completely unrelated to Rainsoft) that sets the water pressure at 70psi. Since the Rainsoft Resin tank was leaking, the resin beads got caught in the PRV. Since the PRV was clogged with Resin beads, the pressure in the house went to almost nothing. There are a couple of ways to resolve this issue.

The quick way is to use the "Bypass" switch on the Rainsoft system. Then, shut off the water at the meter (from the city), and clean out the PRV filter. In my case, I had to turn off the water at the meter, clean out the filter, turn the water back on at the meter, open all faucets and showers in the entire house including outside hose fixtures. Then, turn the water off at the meter again, clean out the filter again. I repeated this process about three times, which is about how many times it took for all of the beads to get pushed from the resin tank and fill up the PRV again (whatever beads were left in the line). Since the Rainsoft system was bypassed the whole time, no more new beads would come in to the pipe. This is the quick fix. Leave the Rainsoft system on Bypass and clean the PRV filter. Now you should have good pressure in the house.

Secondly, long term fix. Contact Rainsoft. You need to replace your Resin Tank. This is a lifetime warranty item, so they will replace it for free. Unfortunately, free doesn't include the service visit. Once the new resin tank is in place, you already have the PRV cleaned out. Turn off the system bypass and you are good to go.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:22 am
@dfwcontract,

Resin was sucked out of your softener backwards and into your pressure reducing valve?

It sounds like you need back flow prevention installed between the street and your water system.

Also, all water treatment equipment must be installed after the PRV or the pressure tank on private well.
0 Replies

matsechler

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 10:58 am
I know this old but, does anyone know if the EC-4 resin tank has gravel in the bottom? I have seen some post saying there is gravel in the bottom of resin tanks and some that says some tanks have it. Rainsoft gave me a price of &606 to change out the tank if I can do it myself for cheaper then I will.

Thanks
0 Replies

dennistorii

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 08:16 am
@homequestions,
I was told by Rainsoft in Orlando last week that they would have my filter ready to swap out this week. I call to verify it was ready to pick up and was told that I had to try again next week because it had not come in. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! My time is very limited and valuable to me and I have dark carbon filled water flowing into my home destroying my filter in my refrigerator. There is no excuse for them not having my filter and wasting my time.
0 Replies