creative writer feeling less inclined to post

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:42 pm
I don't know if it's because all our creative writing now gets put on the giant conveyor belt and is there for a while at the top of the big pile (oh jeeez)
but i don't like it. When my work went to the top of the creative writing forum for a bit - that was okay, i could just about take it, but this is horrid.

It feels too much like getting your clothes off in public - kinda

NOT THAT I"VE ever DONE that BEFORE!!

Am I on my own? Or am i looking at this the wrong way in your opinion?
Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 19,980 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:45 pm
@Endymion,
endy, the only reason I found you was because I had my settings on the old site set much like this site is created.

I never surfed that forum, other than by new posts.

You have friends and admirers here, and now a bigger audience...

write at will, and don't worry 'bout your back, some of us got that for ya.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 08:17 pm
@Endymion,
Code:It feels too much like getting your clothes off in public - kinda

I guess it would, Endy.

Writing something that you've put a lot of effort into & that may be important or of a "sensitive" nature to you. Then deciding whether to "go public" with it or not ...
Then posting it & waiting for responses ....

It could be quite gut-wrenching ... if you haven't published before, especially.

The other day I took a look at the threads in the creative writing category here. So many of them were rated "0", or had no responses at all. It must be terribly discouraging to someone publishing for the first time, I'd say.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 02:57 am
@Endymion,
Quote:
NOT THAT I"VE ever DONE that BEFORE!!

Well, most of these 'help you to write' sites recommend you find a 'hook' to get readers interested. Nudity may be the answer.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/909789/2/istockphoto_909789_pole_dancer.jpg
How do you think JK Rowling got her big break??
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 05:27 am
@Endymion,
Endy, I understand perfectly. One must have inspiration to create and when that does not happen because of the rating system, it kills the spirit and tarnishes the silver in our soul.

After I posted on Mame's thread, I got encouragement and that helped.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 09:27 am
@Letty,
My own creative efforts don't get that much response, by way of replies. But, they often get hundreds of hits, sometimes in the thousands. You have a larger audience than you know, endy.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:36 am
Thanks for your replies. Really interesting, because my initial post was actually explaining (or trying to - perhaps badly) that I felt easier posting when my stuff was getting LESS hits.

When i post something now - it goes to the top of the giant conveyer belt of posts - i'm not complaining because i feel it might be lost in the rush - no.
I'm saying i don't feel my work is ready to go 'out there' and when it was being put up on the board in the old creative writing forum - that was enough of a test for me. Back then it was being read by other writers, i.e. 'contributors to original writing' and people who were interested in original writing - not so much by the main stream "

The thing i'm finding hard is that before the change, the writing forum felt more like a work-shop and place where i could talk to other writers and get a little bit of feed back - and sometimes give encouragement. That is what i miss.

Oh well

Smile
btw "whoever tagged the thread 'whining' " do you not see that whining is exactly what YOU are doing by tagging it that?

I doubt you do
Letty

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:52 pm
@Endymion,
wow! I just realized about those tags, Endy. Why are folks doing that?
Endymion

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:02 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:

wow! I just realized about those tags, Endy. Why are folks doing that?

I don't know, Letty - because they can? Beats me

hey - have a good night
e
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:09 pm
@Endymion,
It's easy enough to mmmmm fix that Cool
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:11 pm
@ehBeth,
oh - and I'm glad you clarified why you were feeling less comfortable with the new format

I quite like the speed at which things move down, and off, the front page. To me it means that the annoying stuff slides away rapidly. I can control what I want to read much more easily with this format.

To each their own eh.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 06:12 pm
I bet you it was little cjhsa - he's just lashing out at others for his own insecurities.

Things have changed around here and one feels much more vulnerable for
having their work presented in the mainstream of a2k - on the other hand,
Endi, it gives people a chance to see the talented work of yours.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:59 pm

I'm not really bothered about the tag (i just wanted to point something out to whoever tagged it). It's no big deal.

Hey I wanted to say something about J K Rowling (mentioned earlier)
I don't know if she got her kit off or not, but she was a single parent trying to make ends meet under Thatcher.
I'm no great fan of her writings, (i tried the first book but couldn't take it) but i do admire her for having the courage to face the possibility of failure - which i believe is what often stops people from pursuing their 'thing'. (Oh yes, me included.)

thanks for the encouragement
Peace
e
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:31 pm
I tripped over this thread just now. I've never posted on the creative writing forum because I assumed that I would receive some harsh and insincere criticism
Endymion

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2011 10:11 pm
@plainoldme,

I haven't thought about this thread in a long time.

I hear what you are saying plainoldme.

My advice to anyone thinking of putting up their creative writing for the first time is to trash your reputation right at the start. It worked for me. Smile
plainoldme

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 08:37 pm
@Endymion,
Or adopt a new fakename!
0 Replies