jespah

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:14 am
Taller than me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:44 am
@qu3st10ns,
Tall.... if you are 12

Seriously. It would not be considered tall for an adult. However, height is something that we have no control over. If it is a concern, you could wear shoes that would increase your height. Also, don't hang out with basketball players. That should help self esteem. Lastly....don't worry about it.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:43 am
@qu3st10ns,
Are you male or female? Everything is relative, and there IS a difference between the heights of men and women.

Check this out. It will give you a lot of information:

http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:46 am
What is your ethnic background? 5'7" would be considered quite tall in most asian countries (obviously, Mr. Ming, there are exceptions). In America and Europe, 5'7" would be a bit short for a male, and a bit tall for a female. It's all relative though.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:52 am
in another thread, qu3st10ns wrote:
I am a 23 year old male. I am 5 foot 7 and weigh 123 lbs.
http://able2know.org/topic/126371-1#post-3494535
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 07:36 am
@qu3st10ns,
qu3st10ns wrote:
also is 5 foot 7 short or tall?

You are a little girly man.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 08:19 am
@qu3st10ns,
Short and tall are relative terms to where you're located and what your heritage is. Many Asians tend to be a few inches shorter. The avg. North American male over 21 is about 5ft 9.5 in to 5ft 10 in according to statistics. So, 5 ft 7 in is slightly below the average. How meaningful is that, though?

That being said, many younger (and older) people don't sit down to a full balanced meal. Rush, rush rush! Likewise, they also don't get good regular exercise. Assuming you've had good medical checkups and got normal results, you could benefit from eating a balanced diet and good exercise. If you haven't had a recent medical checkup, then get one.

I was 5ft 7.5 in my teens and 20s and was 147-150 lbs for most of that time. According to most typical health charts, my weight was about right. At 5ft 7in, you could use about 20 lbs, unless your bone structure is small. If you have small bones, then perhaps 10-15 lbs might make you FEEL better and look better. That being said, cosmetic (surface) isn't what should matter much to you. Clearly you're bothetred by this issue, though.

What really matters most here is your self-esteem ...your confidence - not what is written on some health chart. Tell you wife you need her support, not her telling you that you're scrawny.

When contributing to an online forum be prepared to get answers you might not agree with or even like. However, the majority of times you'll get answers that are a good guide and helpful. Also, take the time to read the answers and grasp what is being said.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 03:55 pm
Tall if you live amongst pygmies, Japan, and cemeteries.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 07:43 pm
I believe there are regional differences in the U.S. In California, for some reason, the average height seems to be taller than the average height in the rest of the country. Also, since there is a correlation between average height and ethnicity, those regions that have more people of northern European stock would, I believe, have a taller average height. Also, I have never seen short people in an LL Bean catalog? Perhaps that reflects the possibility that the people that tend to buy from LL Bean are using a WASP image as his/her role model. And, WASP's by the very nature of their golf clubs, tend to be taller.
0 Replies

blueneamer

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 03:30 am
Please who knows or has a parents of 5' 4"(mum) and 6' 2" (dad)? What are the height of their children?
jespah

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 06:38 am
@blueneamer,
Lots of possibilities there. Final height is mostly heredity, but it is also, in part, environment, as poor nutritional choices and exposure to enough environmental crap can stunt one's growth.

Or you just get a weird roll of the dice. My father is 5'11 1/2"; my mother is 5'7". I'm 5'6" and my brother is 5'9". *shrug*
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 09:42 am
5' 7" is pretty average - around the world. However, kids today are getting taller, so it depends on one's age. I think it has alot to do with diet, and Americans have seen growth the most.

0 Replies

timur

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 11:42 am
Cicerone imposter wrote:
kids today are getting taller

If you are talking about American kids, no, they aren't.

Lots of studies say that they are shrinking.

Look here for example but documentation is widely available on the net
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 12:57 pm
@timur,
Timer, Statistically, growth in the US may not be as high as other countries, but for sheer height, the US compares pretty well to other countries - especially with high mutli-racial ethinities. Most people in Scandinavian countries are taller than US averages, but they're not as racially mixed as the US.

One can find almost anything to argue one point or another about height, but one must also look at the country's immigration and racial mix.

timur

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 01:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Obviously, Americans height rank very high compared to other countries.

It doesn't change the fact that it appears that the average height of Americans is decreasing, after being one of the most dynamic growth in the world for the last century.

Nonetheless, today's decrease in height is widespread and it has nothing to do with recent immigration as some studies were conducted on white, old American families.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 01:38 pm
@timur,
From Wiki.
Quote:
The average Mexican man weighs 165 pounds and stands 5 feet 4 1/2 inches tall, while the median figures for Mexican women are 151 pounds and 5 feet 2 inches, according to a study released by a group representing Mexico's clothing industry.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2012/02/09/how-big-is-mexico-study-looks-at-height-weight/#ixzz2dU067rI5

From Pew Research.
Quote:
A Demographic Portrait of Mexican-Origin Hispanics in the United States
by Ana Gonzalez-Barrera and Mark Hugo Lopez

MEXICAN-ORIGIN HISPANICS IN THE UNITED STATES

A record 33.7 million Hispanics of Mexican origin resided in the United States in 2012, according to an analysis of Census Bureau data by Pew Research Center. This estimate includes 11.4 million immigrants born in Mexico and 22.3 million born in the U.S. who self-identified as Hispanics of Mexican origin.

You don't believe this influences the average for the US?
timur

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 01:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Again, that's not what I'm talking about.

Studies were made taking in account racial parameters, origins, ethnicity and so on.

All layers of American society seem to be affected by the height decrease.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 02:04 pm
@timur,
Since the average height of Americans is already considered tall by international standards, what's your point? That people in other countries are growing taller percentage-wise means what? Do you see that as some kind of problem? I don't.
timur

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 02:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It doesn't seem to be a problem for everybody.

Just a bit curious about the causes.

But the main point is that you were saying that the kids were getting taller and the facts say otherwise.