ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:23 am
@High Seas,
The problem is that there is a common misconception that Linux is more difficult and dangerous than the other Operating Systems.

This is simply not true.

Recent distributions of Linux are quite usable by non-experts with interfaces that are as simple and intuitive as Windows or Macs. Ubuntu (a very good brand of Linux) is ready for use by a normal (non-geek) user.

I am hoping that Linux will continue to gain in popularity as an Operating System for people's desktops.

For the record, the computer I am using to write this is Ubuntu.

High Seas

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:25 pm
@ebrown p,
EBrown - so glad to have run into a Linux expert like you. Ubuntu is the best version of Linux I've personally seen, but as I made it clear earlier on this thread, I'm not a Linux expert and you obviously are.

My question to you is: do you have an opinion on IBM's "Microsoft-free" desktop? How about Microsoft's 3 billion dollars for their cloud computing centers? Or Ruby, Curl, Perl, and the like? Java I do have an opinion about - it cost 2 billion dollars and slowed down the whole internet.

Can't always post due to travel, but can always read, so look forward very much to any comments you or others here may have. Thanks.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 03:28 pm
@High Seas,
PS to EBrown - Ubuntu is the version I was using as well, as is clear from my post on previous page.

Btw, any insights on code running faster than C++ on a Cray, please post here Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 04:31 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

cjhsa wrote:

You wouldn't know humor if she bit you on the ass.

Someone comes on here and asks for help. You provide crap and pass it off as humour. Get a life gun boy.

Someone came here and asked for answers to a test. I gave the same answer I'd give if I was the prof or the aid. You ask for the answers, I'm going to give you the one that makes you learn the most.

Capiche? Get a clue, turd pid. (sorry if your education is/was inferior).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:59 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

cjhsa wrote:

cd /
rm -r *

Have fun!

Downside -

Because it's free, some cheap bastard will be more than happy to give you bad advice on how to use it.

Upside -
Some other cheap bastard will tell you the advice was bad.

Update to the above -

Downside -
Then they will argue for days about which advice was bad, why it was bad, and who knows more about it.

Upside-
It means they will be too busy to post other places.
0 Replies