Singing Bird Clocks!

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:27 pm
I have had one of these bird clocks for a few years now. After a couple of months I have to reset the bird sounds. The clock still works but the sounds stop. Any one else have this problem?
http://www.shopgadgetsandgizmos.com/displayImage.php?imgID=13898

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:48 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Wait 'til spring when it's mating season again.

But seriously, have you checked the battery? Check the connections to the speaker and see if the speaker still works.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:59 pm
@Victor Murphy,
I have one, though it has a different set of birds than yours, and for me the clock will keep going while the birds stop chirping after a while. Mine takes three batteries - one by itself and two some space away. I'm guessing the one by itself is the one for the sound, but could be wrong. Anyway, the clock part keeps going long after the birds stop.

Adding to the problem, my owl chirps and some little bird hoots, and my fiddling with it has not managed to rearrange this. Luckily, I think it's funny.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:01 pm
@Victor Murphy,
My understanding is the sound chips wear out. You would have to check the warranty to see if Audubon or the manufacturer will replace it.
Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:13 pm
@Green Witch,
The sound is not worn out. There is a reset button on the back of the clock. It has to be reset by everyone that owns this clock every so often!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:17 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Hmmm, that's news to me, now I'll have to look. (Mine is old, and I don't know what chips or button you're talking about, but maybe I missed something.)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Hah, found the button. Now we'll see if I get a chirp sound in another 40 minutes.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:25 pm
@ossobuco,
When the sounds stop you have to take all three of the batteries out, rotate the clock backward to ten minutes 'till twelve. Reinstall the batteries and keep pressing the button until the sound is right for 12 o'clock. Then set the clock to the right time. I just can't understand why you have to keep resetting the sounds. Maybe I have too much time on my hands and that why this is bothering me! Confused
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:34 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Ah, that's a help, thanks. I guess I never read the directions about the button, and those are long gone - or I forgot them if I did read them.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:43 pm
On ours, the single battery is the one that runs the clock and does so quite efficiently for some time. The two separate batteries in their own compartment run the bird sounds and don't last as long; however, the clock continues to run when these two batteries are removed though of course there are no bird sounds.

We had our clock mounted in the office--the owl was at 12 o'clock--but no sounds . Hubby had a spare minute on his hands one night just after 11 p.m. he was inspecting the batteries and found one that was in backwards. He reversed the battery, reset and remounted the clock. I was out of the office at the time.

He went to bed and I returned to the office to continue working on a rather intense project. The house was deathly quiet--we lived on the mountain at the time and there was no traffic. The coyotes and night birds were quiet. Too cold for crickets or locusts. No wind in the trees.

When that owl hooted at 12 o'clock it was unexpected, right on time, and LOUD! I bet I cleared my chair by two feet. My heart slowed down some time later.
Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
nice...so it acted as a defibrilator, then?
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 02:05 pm
@Ragman,
Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 02:08 pm
@Foxfyre,
That makes sense with the batteries, FF.

I'm sure those birds have surprised me several times over the years... usually right after I've gotten them to sing again and had gotten used to them not twerping.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 02:21 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:
I just can't understand why you have to keep resetting the sounds.

Maybe the birdies poop out...
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 03:41 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Here is the clock that I actually have! I just took this picture, there is a little glare from the florescent light in my kitchen!
http://i35.tinypic.com/2afxun8.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 03:50 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Yep, I've the same one, probably from the late '80's or early 90's.
Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 06:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I bought the clock in the winter of 2001!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 06:40 pm
@ossobuco,
(it's timeless...)
Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 08:13 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Did you buy it on the cheep? (bird noise) Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 10:43 pm
@ossobuco,
No, I bought it in Beverly Hills.
(No kidding, but it was at some kind of nature store, not any high end emporium)