How do you switch off?

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 12:50 am
Urg. It is 6.24 in the morning and I am at my laptop writing a presentation on empiricism. The reason being was that I tried to sleep, and did so for 2 hours, and then woke up, then took some sleeping tablets and tried to sleep again, but still couldn't so now have given up and am going to try and power through and get some work done until my singing lesson at 12...

Recently I've been really involved with all my degree work, which is fab, but its got to the point where I literally can't switch off at all no matter what I try. The basic premise is that whenever I have stuff to do the next day, like an essay to write, or lectures to go to I can't sleep because I spend all night in preparation either thinking about what I've got to do, or getting exited about what I've learned previously.
Its a habit I really wanna get out of, especially because this is only my second year and I anticipate next year will be worse. And yeah I've tried all the options, milky drinks, counting sheep, exercise, baths, nytol, beer, weed, masturbation.
I wanted to get some vallium but i fear I would become addicted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 01:01 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
You are not the only one suffering this problem. Have a look here, you may pick up as few tips. http://able2know.org/topic/126190-1#post-3490710
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 06:50 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Urg. It is 6.24 in the morning and I am at my laptop writing a presentation on empiricism. The reason being was that I tried to sleep, and did so for 2 hours, and then woke up, then took some sleeping tablets and tried to sleep again, but still couldn't so now have given up and am going to try and power through and get some work done until my singing lesson at 12...

Recently I've been really involved with all my degree work, which is fab, but its got to the point where I literally can't switch off at all no matter what I try. The basic premise is that whenever I have stuff to do the next day, like an essay to write, or lectures to go to I can't sleep because I spend all night in preparation either thinking about what I've got to do, or getting exited about what I've learned previously.
Its a habit I really wanna get out of, especially because this is only my second year and I anticipate next year will be worse. And yeah I've tried all the options, milky drinks, counting sheep, exercise, baths, nytol, beer, weed, masturbation.

I wanted to get some vallium
but i fear I would become addicted.

My former girlfriend, Marilyn, became therapeutically addicted
to valium. For years, she bought it on the black market, like heroin.

She 'd certainly advise u to stay away from valium.

David
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:42 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Stop trying to keep it all in your head. Keep a pad of paper by your bed and write down all the thoughts running through your mind. Consider it a clearing of the temporary cache files in your brain.

Once you've done that, you'll be able to relax and not be afraid you'll forget something important if you break the focus.

All those substance distractions won't do the trick because they don't reassure the brain that it is okay to let go and relax, that nothing important will be forgotten because you've made note of it and will review the list in the morning.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:23 am
Came across this old thread. I don't know if you're still having the problem. I used to try to eat a lot of food when I couldn't sleep because it takes energy to digest and that sometimes puts me to sleep. At least it usually makes me feel calmer. You're right to be wary of valium. That class of drugs is very addictive because it has a short half-life in the body.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:53 am
@Brandon9000,
Eat food? really?
Yeah, no valium for me. I only just weened myself off taking 4x recommended dose of nytol so I presume anything stronger would be a bad idea.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:55 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'd be cautious of having too much food, though -- I've found it can make me feel nauseated, and anything spicy makes me feel hot but that might have more to do with my being perimenopausal than anything else.

You still having trouble sleeping, PQ? Maybe meditation (doesn't have to be anything fancy or religious, it could just be you thinking of a calming scene) would help?
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:04 am
@jespah,
Well basically, it just comes from over thinking.
I try and cram too much into my day, and i never relax, and then I try sleep and find it impossible. I think i just need to build relaxing before bedtime into my schedule.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:45 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I think you may need to create a bedtime ritual. You read a book, you take a bath, you do a crossword puzzle, whatever relaxes you. For, say, 10 - 15 minutes. Totally not doing much, not accomplishing, not worried about meeting a deadline or whatever. Some PQ time. Then try to sleep.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 11:29 am
@jespah,
I like reading - but not a thriller type book - it often makes me nod off quickly. I've gotten several nights' quick sleepiness with just the introduction to Tacitus' The Annals of Imperial Rome.

Back when I had a hectic work life, I used to try to eat protein in the morning and, say, pasta and vegetables in the evening - not so much all one or the other, but re predominance of one or the other.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 11:32 am
@ossobuco,
Why protein in the morning?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 01:39 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I'd be cautious of having too much food, though --
I've found it can make me feel nauseated, and anything spicy makes me feel hot but that might have more to do with my being perimenopausal than anything else.

You still having trouble sleeping, PQ? Maybe meditation (doesn't have to be anything fancy or religious, it could just be you thinking of a calming scene) would help?

Yes.
Food can be addictive.
I have not been able to break the habit for many decades.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 04:50 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The easy answer is 'brain food'.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 05:03 pm
Quote:
And yeah I've tried all the options, milky drinks, counting sheep, exercise, baths, nytol, beer, weed, masturbation.

I need to come over your place to check if you're doing it properly... This should always work. Smile
0 Replies