Quake activity along the San Andreas fault is picking up

FBM

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 12:21 am
@Butrflynet,
Chile's Calbuco Volcano Erupts For First Time in Over 42 Years; Concerns Rise for Contaminated Water, Respiratory Illnesses
By The Associated Press
Published Apr 23 2015 09:24 PM EDT
weather.com

With short vid: http://www.weather.com/news/news/chile-calbuco-volcano-eruption-evacuations-alerts
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:34 pm
M6.1 - HAIDA GWAII REGION, CANADA

Preliminary Earthquake Report
Magnitude 6.1
Date-Time
24 Apr 2015 13:56:16 UTC
24 Apr 2015 04:56:16 near epicenter
24 Apr 2015 07:56:16 standard time in your timezone
Location 51.738N 130.752W
Depth 10 km
Distances
187 km (116 mi) WSW of Bella Bella, Canada
288 km (179 mi) S of Prince Rupert, Canada
340 km (211 mi) SSW of Terrace, Canada
432 km (268 mi) WNW of Campbell River, Canada
643 km (399 mi) NW of Victoria, Canada
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 01:37 am
M7.9 - NEPAL

Magnitude 7.9
Date-Time
25 Apr 2015 06:11:24 UTC
25 Apr 2015 11:56:24 near epicenter
25 Apr 2015 00:11:24 standard time in your timezone
Location 28.175N 84.698E
Depth 2 km
Distances
33 km (20 mi) E of Lamjung, Nepal
60 km (37 mi) NNE of Bharatpur, Nepal
72 km (45 mi) E of Pokhara, Nepal
79 km (49 mi) NW of Kirtipur, Nepal
80 km (50 mi) NW of Kathmandu, Nepal
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 03:56 pm
M3.7 - GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 3.7
Date-Time
30 Apr 2015 14:01:16 UTC
30 Apr 2015 07:01:16 near epicenter
30 Apr 2015 08:01:16 standard time in your timezone
Location 33.847N 118.246W
Depth 12 km
Distances
3 km (2 mi) ENE of Carson, California
5 km (3 mi) SSW of Compton, California
5 km (3 mi) ENE of West Carson, California
7 km (4 mi) SE of Gardena, California
574 km (356 mi) W of Phoenix, Arizona
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 02:49 am
REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA

Magnitude 7.1
Date-Time
1 May 2015 08:06:05 UTC
1 May 2015 18:06:05 near epicenter
1 May 2015 02:06:05 standard time in your timezone
Location 5.217S 151.774E
Depth 53 km
Distances
110 km (68 mi) SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea
184 km (114 mi) ENE of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea
311 km (193 mi) SSE of Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
431 km (267 mi) WNW of Arawa, Papua New Guinea
689 km (427 mi) NE of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 11:10 am

I think I felt my first earthquake about 40 minutes ago.

No damage or anything. It was probably what people in California would call a minor tremble.

Not something I ever expected to experience in Michigan though. My first thought was "If that is the wind doing that, do I need to run for the basement?"
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 12:09 pm
@oralloy,
Indeed you did.

M4.0 - MICHIGAN

Magnitude 4.0
Date-Time
2 May 2015 16:23:07 UTC
2 May 2015 12:23:08 near epicenter
2 May 2015 10:23:07 standard time in your timezone
Location 42.212N 85.429W
Depth 5 km
Distances
8 km (5 mi) S of Galesburg, Michigan
12 km (7 mi) E of Portage, Michigan
15 km (9 mi) SE of Kalamazoo, Michigan
23 km (14 mi) WSW of Battle Creek, Michigan
92 km (57 mi) SW of Lansing, Michigan

Here's the geologic info from USGS for your region.

Tectonic Summary
Earthquakes in the Stable Continental Region
Natural Occurring Earthquake Activity
Most of North America east of the Rocky Mountains has infrequent earthquakes. Here and there earthquakes are more numerous, for example in the New Madrid seismic zone centered on southeastern Missouri, in the Charlevoix-Kamouraska seismic zone of eastern Quebec, in New England, in the New York - Philadelphia - Wilmington urban corridor, and elsewhere. However, most of the enormous region from the Rockies to the Atlantic can go years without an earthquake large enough to be felt, and several U.S. states have never reported a damaging earthquake.
Earthquakes east of the Rocky Mountains, although less frequent than in the West, are typically felt over a much broader region than earthquakes of similar magnitude in the west. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area more than ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. It would not be unusual for a magnitude 4.0 earthquake in eastern or central North America to be felt by a significant percentage of the population in many communities more than 100 km (60 mi) from its source. A magnitude 5.5 earthquake in eastern or central North America might be felt by much of the population out to more than 500 km (300 mi) from its source. Earthquakes east of the Rockies that are centered in populated areas and large enough to cause damage are, similarly, likely to cause damage out to greater distances than earthquakes of the same magnitude centered in western North America.
Most earthquakes in North America east of the Rockies occur as faulting within bedrock, usually miles deep. Few earthquakes east of the Rockies, however, have been definitely linked to mapped geologic faults, in contrast to the situation at plate boundaries such as California's San Andreas fault system, where scientists can commonly use geologic evidence to identify a fault that has produced a large earthquake and that is likely to produce large future earthquakes. Scientists who study eastern and central North America earthquakes often work from the hypothesis that modern earthquakes occur as the result of slip on preexisting faults that were formed in earlier geologic eras and that have been reactivated under the current stress conditions. The bedrock of Eastern North America is, however, laced with faults that were active in earlier geologic eras, and few of these faults are known to have been active in the current geologic era. In most areas east of the Rockies, the likelihood of future damaging earthquakes is currently estimated from the frequencies and sizes of instrumentally recorded earthquakes or earthquakes documented in historical records.
Induced Seismicity
As is the case elsewhere in the world, there is evidence that some central and eastern North America earthquakes have been triggered or caused by human activities that have altered the stress conditions in earth's crust sufficiently to induce faulting. Activities that have induced felt earthquakes in some geologic environments have included impoundment of water behind dams, injection of fluid into the earth's crust, extraction of fluid or gas, and removal of rock in mining or quarrying operations. In much of eastern and central North America, the number of earthquakes suspected of having been induced is much smaller than the number of natural earthquakes, but in some regions, such as the south-central states of the U.S., a significant majority of recent earthquakes are thought by many seismologists to have been human-induced. Even within areas with many human-induced earthquakes, however, the activity that seems to induce seismicity at one location may be taking place at many other locations without inducing felt earthquakes. In addition, regions with frequent induced earthquakes may also be subject to damaging earthquakes that would have occurred independently of human activity. Making a strong scientific case for a causative link between a particular human activity and a particular sequence of earthquakes typically involves special studies devoted specifically to the question. Such investigations usually address the process by which the suspected triggering activity might have significantly altered stresses in the bedrock at the earthquake source, and they commonly address the ways in which the characteristics of the suspected human-triggered earthquakes differ from the characteristics of natural earthquakes in the region.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 12:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
It has been upgraded to a 4.2 quake.

http://topics.mlive.com/tag/michigan-earthquake/index.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:10 pm
My hometown...

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/05/03/string-of-earthquakes-including-magnitude-4-0-shake-east-bay-cities/

Earthquake Swarm, Including Magnitude 4.0, Shakes East Bay Cities

CONCORD (CBS/AP) — A string of moderate earthquakes has rattled the East Bay Sunday, shaking buildings. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The U.S. Geological Survey says an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.0 hit at 2:13 p.m. Sunday. It was centered a mile south of Concord.

Three smaller quakes shook the area in the moments before and after the larger one. A magnitude 2.5 earthquake hit at 2:01 p.m., followed by the 4.0 at 2:13, and a 2.7 magnitude quake at 2:14 p.m. A magnitude 2.4 shook the area again at 2:28 p.m. A magnitude 1.6 hit at 2:56 p.m.

In Southern California, a magnitude of 3.9 hit the Los Angeles area at 4:07 a.m. Sunday. That quake was centered a mile northwest of the View Park-Windsor Hills neighborhood, just north of the cities of Inglewood and Culver City. A magnitude-3.5 earthquake hit that same area on April 12.

The Los Angeles quake struck while many residents were sleeping, and the timing of the Bay Area quakes Sunday was not lost on social media users.

Zachary Burkett tweeted, “It was nice of the northern California earthquake to show up in the mid afternoon instead of the stupid 4 AM jolt down here this morning.”
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:57 pm
M3.5 - NEVADA

Magnitude 3.5
Date-Time
4 May 2015 11:56:41 UTC
4 May 2015 04:56:42 near epicenter
4 May 2015 05:56:41 standard time in your timezone
Location 39.114N 115.648W
Depth 0 km
Distances
43 km (27 mi) NNW of Currant, Nevada
179 km (111 mi) S of Spring Creek, Nevada
191 km (118 mi) S of Elko, Nevada
276 km (171 mi) NW of Cedar City, Utah
356 km (221 mi) E of Carson City, Nevada

M4.3 - OFF THE COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Magnitude 4.3
Date-Time
4 May 2015 19:17:03 UTC
4 May 2015 11:17:04 near epicenter
4 May 2015 13:17:03 standard time in your timezone
Location 40.290N 127.141W
Depth 10 km
Distances
246 km (153 mi) W of Ferndale, California
255 km (158 mi) W of Fortuna, California
258 km (160 mi) WSW of Eureka, California
266 km (165 mi) WSW of Arcata, California
521 km (323 mi) WNW of Sacramento, California
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 08:00 pm
This is a similar activity pattern that made me start this thread back in 2008 to log what was happening.
Ionus

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 09:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Care to make a prediction ? You have my interest...
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 12:15 am
M7.4 - NEW BRITAIN REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA

Magnitude 7.4
Date-Time
5 May 2015 01:44:07 UTC
5 May 2015 11:44:08 near epicenter
4 May 2015 19:44:07 standard time in your timezone
Location 5.503S 151.915E
Depth 63 km
Distances
133 km (82 mi) SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea
196 km (122 mi) E of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea
346 km (215 mi) SSE of Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
408 km (253 mi) W of Arawa, Papua New Guinea
680 km (422 mi) NE of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 12:19 am
@Butrflynet,
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/05/tsunami-warning-after-large-earthquake-off-papua-new-guinea-coast

A powerful earthquake rattled the South Pacific island nation of Papua New Guinea on Tuesday, generating a small tsunami near the epicenter, bringing down power lines and cracking walls, but causing no widespread damage.

A tsunami estimated at under one meter (three feet) was seen in the harbor of Rabaul, a town near the epicenter of the 7.5-magnitude quake, said Chris McKee, assistant director of the Geophysical Observatory in the capital, Port Moresby.

There were no reports of flooding, as the tsunami didn’t rise beyond the normal level of high tide, McKee said.

The earthquake struck at a depth of 42km (26 miles), about 130km (80 miles) south of the town of Kokopo in north-eastern Papua New Guinea, the US Geological Survey reported, after issuing varying estimates of the quake’s power.

The earthquake brought down power lines in the Rabaul area, knocking out power to residents and to the local Geophysical Observatory office, McKee said.

There were a few reports of structural damage in Kokopo, including cracks in some walls, but no reports of injuries, he said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said that tsunami waves of up to one meter (three feet) were possible within 300 kilometers (186 miles) of the epicenter, but lifted the warning a few hours later.

In its final statement on the event, the centre said the tsunami threat from this earthquake had “mostly passed” and any remaining threat levels were up to local authorities.

It predicted minor sea level fluctuations up to 30cm above the normal tide over the next few hours.

The provincial disaster office is monitoring the situation and prime minister, Peter O’Neill, has placed defence and emergency response assets and personnel on alert.

In a statement O’Neill urged people to be vigilant following the recent numerous earthquakes.

“There are precautions that people must take when they feel an earthquake of any magnitude,” he said.

“I call on local leaders to ensure you communicate with your people and in particular continue to education children on the warning signs. This is a serious issue and like all countries in the ring-of-fire around the Pacific we have to be prepared.”

A local journalist based in Kokopo, Abbey Apina, said people were “in panic” when the earthquake occurred, and there was some structural damage caused.

“I was on my way to get a story and I was on a bus and the earthquake came and we were all panicking in the bus, we were trying to open the door and get out,” she told Guardian Australia.

“All the cars around us were shaking, and we were all panicking. The power lines were shaking and everyone just rushed out of the shops. We had a landslide as well and the traffic went chaotic.”

PNG Loop reported some ceilings coming down in Kokopo buildings, and a landslide at Vunabakut, blocking traffic.

Apina said there were no reports of injuries but a lot of people had left the coastal town to move inland, in fear of a tsunami. She said the quake was felt more strongly in Kokopo than in neighbouring Rabaul.

It’s the latest of several earthquakes in the region this week, and people had been on alert, but this felt the strongest, Apina said.

“I’ve never been shocked, never really panicked because it was usually not that heavy, but today it was just so heavy. I was actually panicking for the first time, thinking oh my god this is big.”
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 02:03 am
@Butrflynet,
mmm, my friend Krista lives there, the windsor area, has an old victorian house. I suppose they are ok, but thank for the clue, I'll contact her.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 01:01 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Care to make a prediction ? You have my interest...

Yes, I predict the earth's crust will continue to shift as the tectonic plates migrate.
FBM

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 07:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:57 pm
@FBM,
Similar liquefaction events were filmed during the 2010 and 2011 quakes in Christchurch, NZ. Imagine what happens to buildings located on that type of soil.
FBM

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 11:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
I sorta would like to see that in the flesh, but I know I'd be crapping my pants the whole time...
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 12:43 am
Powerful undersea eruption at volcano off US coast
May 05, 2015

http://blog.cosmosmagazine.com/blog/2015/5/5/powerful-undersea-eruption-at-volcano-off-us-coast