Through a computer error, you receive an overpayment on your paycheck. Do you report it?

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:54 am
Through a computer error, you receive an overpayment on your paycheck. Do you report it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,009 • Replies: 6
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:11 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yes. Otherwise you'd be stealing from your employer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
The money would likely not be enough to have a long range effect on your finances anyway (to those who would consider keeping it).
It's not worth the loss of self esteem to keep it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:04 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I got paid a referral bonus twice for a woman I referred in. I figured they'd catch it, it was an electronic deposit, not a check. They never did.

Oh well, she was worth her weight in gold anyway.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yes. Absolutely.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:21 pm
I've actually done this. It was worth it to remind my boss (and his boss) that I'm honest. I figured that they'd catch it eventually anyway.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:29 pm
Not only would I (and have I) returned an overpayment on my check that would not likely have been discovered, I return too much change paid by a cashier and remind people that they forgot to add sales tax or whatever. Anything found of value is turned in to some appropriate place in hope the owner will return for it.

I figure life is too short to risk my reputation for anything and also I don't want it on my head if my not reporting an error causes somebody else an unnecessary hardship.

Of course I haven't been tempted yet with a hundred thousand dollars found in a brown paper bag in a dumpster. Would I report that? I wonder.
0 Replies