LANDLORD BREAKS LEASE

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:44 pm
I signed a lease that doesn't expire until July 2009. My landlord is now selling the property (not to us). What actions can I take, if any? Am I entitled to any extra monies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 02:54 pm
You should probly check your lease contract and see what the stipulations are for sale of the location. Have the new owners stated they will continue the lease? Have you been harmed financially in some way through this action?

According to a rental contract I had, my landlord had to give me at least 60 days notice to vacate my rental house. As long as that was given, I had no reason to have recourse against them. All contracts are different though, so it is really important to read your lease contract first.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:42 pm
@julie norris,
A buyer takes the property subject to any leases, so, under normal circumstances, a change in the ownership should have no affect on the tenants. But, as MBC points out, there might be a clause in your lease which requires tenants to vacate the premises when there's a change in ownership. So check your lease and see what it says.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 03:53 pm
@julie norris,
Also check state and city regulations. They can vary wildly. Here in CA we are more protected than in some other states; I have heard some stories about people being forced out elsewhere.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sylvia chomas

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 04:48 pm
@julie norris,
in most cases a landlord only has too give you a thirty day noitce too vacate the premises. an it most likely is written in your lease.
0 Replies