Religious Scum Alert

RexRed

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:03 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/15/AR2008111502626_pf.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 966 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@RexRed,
Agree whole heartedly. From all indications, this pastor either was never called by God or, like Jim Jones, let the devil (by whatever name) pull him waaaaay off course. This church is not your normal Pentecostal church but is more like a cult with followers giving in to blind faith and able to be manipulated by a charismatic leader.

It is not for Christians to judge, but I personally suspect that there is a special place in hell for those who drive people away from the church and tear families apart by such unChristian doctrine and practice.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:13 pm
The God these people claim to believe in (assuming all the stories are true) will eventually deal with these assholes. That's comforting.
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:19 pm
The Washington Post article wrote:
Scott is twisting the Bible's message, they say, and members who challenged the theology were accused of hating God.

Hmmm . . . that sounds familiar, and it is unsurprising--either that it sounds familiar, or that it would seem acceptable to the more extreme members. Those who have questioned the rush to war in Iraq, those who have questioned the methods and the relative success of the "war on terror" have been accused of hating freedom, of hating the United States. Whether in religion or in politics, this has been the climate of this country for a long, long time now.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:23 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Good point about the stories being true, Bear. There are those who would distort the facts to intentionally misrepresent and sensationalize a few isolated incidents and make them look like common practice in the church. Hopefully if that is the case here, we will see a rebuttal.

I'm sure you would agree, however, that there are persuasive, charismatic pastors who attract large followings who don't represent any form of Christianity that most Christians know and have experienced. Such can be quite destructive and harmful.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
I was talking about the stories of God and judgment....but you make a good point as well...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:28 pm
Quick, I need a virgin so I don't fall into sin! Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Agree whole heartedly. From all indications, this pastor either was never called by God or, like Jim Jones, let the devil (by whatever name) pull him waaaaay off course. This church is not your normal Pentecostal church but is more like a cult with followers giving in to blind faith and able to be manipulated by a charismatic leader.

It is not for Christians to judge, but I personally suspect that there is a special place in hell for those who drive people away from the church and tear families apart by such unChristian doctrine and practice.

Very well said Fox, (hand still healing, short replies.)

Often the most charismatic religionists are the most deluded.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:34 pm
No matter how the heart seeks its own truth, only the spirit can teach the difference.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:40 pm
When I read things like this I thank God I'm a Buddhist Wink
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 04:43 pm
@NickFun,
Laughing
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:40 pm
Cleansed from all scum.