Kangaroo genes close to humans.

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:21 am
Quote:
CANBERRA (Reuters) " Australia's kangaroos are genetically similar to humans and may have first evolved in China, Australian researchers said Tuesday.

Scientists said they had for the first time mapped the genetic code of the Australian marsupials and found much of it was similar to the genome for humans, the government-backed Centre of Excellence for Kangaroo Genomics said.

"There are a few differences, we have a few more of this, a few less of that, but they are the same genes and a lot of them are in the same order," centre Director Jenny Graves told reporters in Melbourne.

"We thought they'd be completely scrambled, but they're not. There is great chunks of the human genome which is sitting right there in the kangaroo genome," Graves said, according to AAP.

Humans and kangaroos last shared an ancestor at least 150 million years ago, the researchers found, while mice and humans diverged from one another only 70 million years ago.

Kangaroos first evolved in China, but migrated across the Americas to Australia and Antarctica, they said.

"Kangaroos are hugely informative about what we were like 150 million years ago," Graves said

source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081118/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_australia_kangaroos

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,416 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:39 am
Pamela, your posts are bit of a mystery to me. Are you just interested in genetics? You also post about So. Africa with articles that could be seen as either racist or just an attempt to inform people who might not be paying attention to your county. Sometimes your posts have a dark undertone that make us think you have an agenda. Do you have an agenda?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:48 am
@Pamela Rosa,
This article is kind of a duhh. The base of te Tithonian of the Late Jurassic was defined by the presence of fossils that included several of the mammalian clan (marsupials among em). SO to say we shared ancestry with marsupials of the Tithonian time, is like saying that you are related to your ancestors.

Its anarticle that is written from the school of the bloody obvious. Since mice are placentals, they did , of course arise in the "top of the K".

I wish these papers would not make common knowledge sound like new ****.

Therefore, I too wonder what the agenda of the article is?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:20 am
@Pamela Rosa,
Quote:

Humans and kangaroos last shared an ancestor at least 150 million years ago, the researchers found, while mice and humans diverged from one another only 70 million years ago.

I guess that explains why the phrase is "Are you a man or a mouse?" and not "Are you a man or a kangaroo?"
Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:12 am
@parados,
hehehehehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies