Whittling Knives - what kind and where to buy?

mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
@farmerman,
I am going to research the wood crafting shops here farmerman. That is a good idea. I don't think the den leader even has any idea - he just told me any pocket knife would do. I would like them to have the right tools to do it correctly and enjoy it though...so taking into account the safest and easiest handling is important. I appreciate your input.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:45 pm
@mismi,
I'm with Gunga on the folding knives, which pretty much excludes "any pocket knife". Anyway, pocket knives can be a little rough on the hands because of the slot in the middle of the handle.

For dedicated whittling, and other woodworking stuff, Lee Valley is hard to beat on quality. Both blade types shown by Calamity would be better than either one, alone.
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:59 pm
@roger,
I could buy one of each and they could swap! Trying to find them in my area Roger - thanks!
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:16 pm
@mismi,
I bought what Jane suggested...they used Ivory soap the first time and were advised to continue using it until they got the hang of the right way to use the knife...of course with their dad or me there.

Thank you all for your suggestions. They had a great time and are very enthusiastic about practising!
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:19 pm
@mismi,
I am glad they had so much fun, mismi. Practicing on soap is an excellent
idea!
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
thanks Jane!
0 Replies

sorafinal10

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:41 pm
@cjhsa,
i have the same knife. which blade do you use for whittling?
0 Replies

cuttinup

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:25 pm
@mismi,
You can actually teach carving with a "made" knife and soap. The "knife" is made from craft sticks with a slight edge.

The problem with knives and cub scouts are they need to be closely supervised. I am an asst scout master with boy scouts and remember working with cub scouts...Typically the wood carving merit badge is done in boy scouts...

I guess what i'm trying to say is all the wood carving or whittling knives mentioned will be razor sharp...and you should never try to wood carve or whittle with a dull knife...more injuries occur from that than anything...

Remember you "blood circle" and keep a close eye on them...
0 Replies