Geek and Nerd Humor

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 05:48 pm
@Region Philbis,
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/281604_576923422337115_682131509_n.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 06:15 pm

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/154732_576647312364726_762968053_n.jpg
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Didn't realize I was expected to defend something here.

1) If Latin borrowed the word from Greek, then why hasn't it taken the Greek plural?

Andrei Lustig wrote: Fifty years from now? Who knows? It may seen quaintly old-fashioned to say 'thesauri' instead of the good ole 'Murrican 'thesauruses.' But I submit that that day is not here yet.

2) As if you even bothered to check, Merry.

Google Advanced Search: US region specified

thesauri
About 592,000 results

thesauruses
About 1,500,000 results

============

3) How many languages is this old canard followed for?

4) How many languages follow this nonsensical rule?

Quote:
Wasn't even trying.

No ****, Lustig!
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
I don't get it? Heeeeeeeeeelp!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:21 pm
@JTT,
JTT,

If you ask nicely, Lustig Andrei might play along and let you use his measuring tape to see which of you has the biggest one.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jWPPjxGqa94/S8OA71_5UjI/AAAAAAAAAAs/HJly7bQ06dc/s1600/who-has-the-biggest-brain-01.jpg
http://www.whatapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/about.jpg
http://www.edge-online.com/wp-content/uploads/edgeonline/oldfiles/images/feature_article/2009/12/biggest_brain.png
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:21 pm
THINK, JTT. Apply your own rule. Latin borrowed it from Greek. Therefore the Romans would form a Latin plural on it. We borrowed it from Latin, and we are fairly frequently respectful of Latin plurals (and by and large for the last three or four educated generations we don't know Classical Greek so we wouldn't
go back to it for plurals) so amongst a quarter of the population it retained the Latin plural. That is the way language actually works. Some people speak one way, some people speak another.
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
Oh hon....just ignore JTT. He's harmless when we ignore him assiduously.

Really....he only has power when people respond.

Unless you enjoy the debate, of course. Not sure it's the right thread for this debate, though. Still, do as you wish.

PS I said Thesaurii as a JOKE! It was supposed to be a light hearted thing.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:32 pm
but, deb, he's so irresistible to bait.

The young hobbits in "Lord of the Rings" always ate breakfast, second breakfast, supper, second supper, tea, and second tea, and so on. They had very high basal metabolisms. Reg's post just carries that one step further.
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:39 pm
@MontereyJack,
Aaaaaah....thank you.

The baiting isn't much fun for people who come here for geek and nerd humour though, you know. The ongoing conversation with trolls is what's driving me away from A2k for instance. And lots of others too, I think.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
That is the way language actually works.

No, it isn`t, MJ. Only for this one situation where pedants have kept these Latin plurals alive for spurious reasons. I have noted that these idiots are free to pretend all they want, but to try to suggest, as Merry did, that they are the intelligent ones is silly. They are the ignorant pedants.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:42 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
PS I said Thesaurii as a JOKE! It was supposed to be a light hearted thing.

Then why did you allow Merry to proceed in flaunting his ignorance(qm)
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:24 pm
Yes, JTT, it IS the way language works. The people that use the language determine how it works, and they often don't follow the rules you deem worthy. You are being just as prescriptive as the prescriptivists you dislike so much. And the people you dismiss aqs pedants (A "pedant" apparently being someone who doesn't use the language the way youwant them to--not, you will note, that you have any gods-given power to determine how they use it) are actually some of the more prolific users of the language. Newspapr writers and editiors and book publishers and editors, whom you've been dissing lately and their use of language is heard by millions of times more speakers of the language than you are. And thAT, MY FRIEND, IS HOW THE LANGUaGE IS ACTUALLY USED.

You want another concrete example? "kibbutz" is a recently-borrowed word from Modern Hebrew. It's pretty widely known--I'm not Jewish, I grew up in an area with very few Jews, and I knew it at least back to my early teens, and that was four decades ago. It's not italicized when printed--it's an English word now. The Hebrew plural "kibbutzim" occurs about three times more frequently than "kibbutzes". It's endured for decades as the plural of a borrowed word. The actual language is far more complicated than your simple picture of it6. Cherub and cherubim, seraph and seraphim.
JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:07 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Newspapr[sic] writers and editiors[sic] and book publishers and editors, whom you've been dissing lately and their use of language is heard by millions of times more speakers of the language than you are.

Quote:
The legislators of "correct English," in fact, are an informal network of copy-editors, dictionary usage panelists, style manual writers, English teachers, essayists, and pundits. Their authority, they claim, comes from their dedication to implementing standards that have served the language well in the past, especially in the prose of its finest writers, and that maximize its clarity, logic, consistency, elegance, precision, stability, and expressive range. William Safire, who writes the weekly column "On Language" for the [New York Times Magazine], calls himself a "language maven," from the Yiddish word meaning expert, and this gives us a convenient label for the entire group.

To whom I say: Maven, shmaven! [Kibbitzers] and [nudniks] is more like it. For here are the remarkable facts. Most of the prescriptive rules of the language mavens make no sense on any level. They are bits of folklore that originated for screwball reasons several hundred years ago and have perpetuated themselves ever since. For as long as they have existed, speakers have flouted them, spawning identical plaints about the imminent decline of the language century after century. All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition, and if they were ever followed they would force writers into fuzzy, clumsy, wordy, ambiguous, incomprehensible prose, in which certain thoughts are not expressible at all. Indeed, most of the "ignorant errors" these rules are supposed to correct display an elegant logic and an acute sensitivity to the grammatical texture of the language, to which the mavens are oblivious.

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html

Note the plurals of 'Kibbitzers' and 'nudniks'

Quote:
The people that use the language determine how it works, and they often don't follow the rules you deem worthy.

You've just shot yourself in the foot, Jack. The same foot that you've stuffed in your mouth. You're right. People who use the language determine how it works. And what is determined by people who use English in a natural setting, those who aren't subjected to these ignorant pedants? They inflect following the rule that is English - add 's' or 'es'.

Did you miss the part where DLowan said she was joking?

Quote:
You are being just as prescriptive as the prescriptivists you dislike so much.

Again, your ignorance shines bright, Jack. I'm not at all being prescriptive. I haven't told anyone not to use these words. I haven't said you mustn't say such and such.

I wrote:

Granted, usage makes allowances for these silly goofs. There's no sane reason to use Latin plurals for words that aren't Latin. 'thesaurus' is an English word. What its etymology is doesn't matter squat.

So let's do keep the facts straight, Jack.

I've just pointed out the ignorance involved in doing so. I've merely pointed out that the ignorant, like Merry, are really the ones who are ignorant.

Those who follow the rules of their language can hardly be termed 'ignorant'. Surely someone who is not ignorant, like you, can see that.

Do the Japanese keep English plurals for the tens of thousands of words they have borrowed from English?

Do the we keep Japanese plurals for the words we have borrowed from Japanese?

Quote:
The Hebrew plural "kibbutzim" occurs about three times more frequently than "kibbutzes"

Your research skills are abysmal, MJ. It's more like 30 times. But all you are doing is highlighting the fact that there are many ignorant pedants around.

You'll find all manner of idiots in the US who consciously believe the nonsense taught about 'everyone/their'. In fact, there are, as you know, some of those very idiots here on A2K.

Quote:
Cherub and cherubim, seraph and seraphim.

seraphs
About 543,000 results

seraphim
About 8,640,000 results

cherubs
About 5,100,000 results

cherubim
About 2,300,000 results

How many of these Jewish origin words follow the pattern that you think is necessary?

abacus
amen
bedlam
behemoth
cider
cinnamon
coral pebble
elephant
gauze
gopher
hallelujah
Israel
Jew
jockey
jot
jubilee
jug
kosher
leviathan
manna
messiah
Nimrod
rabbi
Sabbath 'Sabatical'
sapphire
Satan
sodomy

================

rabbis
About 11,000,000 results

rabbinim
About 3,450 results

Note how that shining beacon of language rectitude, Merry Andrew, is nowhere to be found.

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:24 am
Jesus Christ, you idiots are trashing this thread, the purpose of which is to have fun. Stop feeding the goddamned troll, or take it to another thread.
JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:36 am
@Setanta,
Same whining and kvetching Setanta tried to use in the peeves of English threads. I haven't noticed any reduction in geek and nerd cartoons/pics.

Are you predicting the imminent collapse of this thread too?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 08:47 am

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/3699809_700b.jpg

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 01:32 pm
http://thedoghousediaries.com/comics/uncategorized/2010-01-13-24e0c1c.png
http://thedoghousediaries.com/1209
Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 01:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hehehehehe . . . now that's a good one . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 01:53 pm
@tsarstepan,

and through the roof on the wanker scale
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 08:09 pm

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534221_521337084554338_642806816_n.jpg
0 Replies