The War on Christmas.

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:11 pm
Has anyone seen any coverage about this yet this year? As I recall, coverage on this was starting as early as Halloween the last two years. I guess the election has trumped it in the press. With things like the financial crisis, I guess people are hesitant to bicker about this kind of trivial matter. Perhaps the religiopolitical groups have been to occupied with issues like gay marriage.

It's never too late to start I suppose. With the election over, the press will need to move to more sensational stories and bringing religion back into the fold is a great way to get the audience to tune in and between editorials advertise the hell out of this season's most popular gifts... irony?

In summary: I'm counting the seconds, and Happy holidays.

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 44 • Views: 31,689 • Replies: 398

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:21 pm
@Diest TKO,
Oh great, first the U.S. elections, and now another issue for folks to lash out at each other over?

We need something happy and funny to think about.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:30 pm
the culture wars will be less interesting to most people so long as they have something more immediate to worry about, like having a job and paying their bills.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's my point.
K
O
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:35 pm
what's the latest on praying in schools?
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:36 pm
@dyslexia,
I don't know. I guess me not knowing is not really a measure of whether a battle is going on or not though.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
@dyslexia,
where are we in the Constitutional Amendment to outlaw flag burning??
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
And what's the latest on English as the only official language here?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:04 pm
@Merry Andrew,
oh, and the government defunding government social programs and instead sending checks to religious charities? I stopped hearing about that months ago, after numerous journalistic pieces and some major studies documented massive fraud in many charity programs....cool stats like for instance in more than a few cases less than 30 cents of every dollar ever makes it to the intended recipient.. Government programs run at something like 93 cents on the dollar.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:22 pm
@Diest TKO,
I think OmSig David has already started the war on A2K by insiting people not shop at stores that don't acknowledge the holiday as Christmas.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:23 pm
@boomerang,
Oh, yeah. But we're talking about someone who can be taken seriously.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:30 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think OmSig David has already started the war on A2K by insiting people not shop at stores that don't acknowledge the holiday as Christmas.

He's hardly alone. There's an awful lot of us that won't step foot in places with "no guns allowed" signs. You can continue shopping in your killing field - we don't care.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:49 pm
@cjhsa,
Well, that leaves me an open field. I don't believe I've ever seen a department store in Boston or New York or anywhere else, for that matter, with a "No Guns Allowed" sign on the door. The old Hard Rock Cafe in Boston used to have a sign that said "No Hard Drugs or Nuclear Weapons" but everybody understood that was a gag. I wonder where you shop, ceej, that they have such signs.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Very Happy
Ceej, I understand, does most of his shopping from other peoples car trunks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 06:34 pm
Well.

I guess if I have to shop at only stores that say "Merry Christmas" and allow guns inside I'll be doing all my shopping at the Christian book store.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 07:31 pm
@cjhsa,
Seriously cjhsa. A thread could be about weather patterns and you'd find a way to ramble about guns.

"Hey cjhsa, what motor oils do you use?"
"Of course I clean my guns weekly. I n fact I have a 20 piece cleaning kit. Anyone serious about their guns needs one."
"Wait. What? I didn't ask you about that."
"Oh I'm sorry. I see now. You wanted to know if I prefer indoor or outdoor ranges. I prefer the outdoor ones. thanks."
"Yeah... so..."

T
K
O
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 07:46 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

The War on Christmas.

Has O boy promised to pull our troops out of this war yet?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:46 pm
@Diest TKO,
I don't think we really have to worry about losing Christmas to the godless secularists.

Too much money in it, and too many hispanics don't find the religious aspect of the holiday to be offensive in the least.

They also don't seem to care much for legalized gay marriages, so I don't think we need to worry about that either.

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:38 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Well, takes two for a war and I ain't fighting that one.

Wink

Maybe we'll all just get along and answer questions and such?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 04:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
?

T
K
O