Sweet potatoes - favorite (or unfavorite) recipes

ehBeth

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:00 pm
@sozobe,
I'd probably go with one green veggie (green beans with pancetta and some kinda nut likely) and maybe an antipasto plate with roasted red pepper strips/olives stuffed with almonds - that sort of thing.
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:47 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
We're having friends over for thanksgiving and I'm doing a traditional slash boring spread -- turkey, dressing, gravy, cranberry nut bread, cranberry sauce. Friends are bringing a salad and "squash with curry apples stuffing." I want to make one more interesting thing, maybe of the green vegetable variety, not sure. May do something more interesting with potatoes. I love roasting but I do that all the time. (I do potatoes plus whatever I have, often carrots, often garlic cloves, looks a lot like the Jamie Oliver pic.) Any ideas? (Sorry if this is too off-topic -- a yam dish plus a squash + apple dish would be redundant, no?)

Simple but good and a little different (for Thanksgiving, anyway) green bean dish -- I pretty much do a variation on this any time I cook the things:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Warm-Green-Bean-Salad-with-Pine-Nuts-and-Basil-15293
ossobuco

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:59 pm
@patiodog,
and green beans are good in the store now.. (at least my stores).
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:59 pm
@patiodog,
Bless you! The friends who are coming over are good gardeners and are pressing fresh herbs upon me -- I've wanted to find a use for basil, this is perfect. That looks so good.

I left out "mashed potatoes" btw -- that's default, may do something more interesting with the taters.

I always get recipes I want to come back to out of these questions, thanks ehBeth and osso too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:04 pm
@patiodog,
add tiny crisped bits of pancetta to it, and you've got the same recipe I use
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:21 pm
Just noticed that Chun Chun showed up in this thread. There's a blast from the culinary past. Glad to see ya!! Pretty sure you're a Bay Area Chun.... all the best foodies have roots in San Francisco Bay. New York City????!!!!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:23 pm
@patiodog,
The key to green beans is to grow them yourself (Blue Lake pole/bush are the best - period), and not eat them out of season except in stew. You'll thank me, even if you hate me.
ehBeth

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:26 pm
@cjhsa,
hamburger really really loved green beans when I was a kid. He usually staged the plantings so there would be continuous harvest for several months. I think he'd happily have eaten them two meals a day year-round. Home-grown are the best.
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:39 pm
@cjhsa,
Quote:
The key to green beans is to grow them yourself (Blue Lake pole/bush are the best - period), and not eat them out of season except in stew. You'll thank me, even if you hate me.

We always grew green beans when I was growing up. Green beans, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, and sunflowers, and some years a couple of barrels of potatoes.

We've got a big plot of ground behind the garage I want to plant next year. Tomatoes and strawberries may not do as well as they did in California, but the green stuff should do very well.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I've had all kinds of sweet potatoes cooked all sorts of ways, and mostly they've left me with a "meh" response. EXCEPT... once on a camping trip with my son, I cooked two lovely 8" long red garnet sweet potatoes, skin and all, wrapped in foil, in the coals of our campfire. They cooked about 35 minutes, turned a couple times. The skin was blackened and the outer 1/4 inch was hard, but cut open, the inside was bliss! It was creamy, sweet, and had a natural spicyness and trace of smokiness, despite adding nothing. No bowl of Grandma's yams with cinnamon, brown sugar and marshmallows comes anywhere close.
ehBeth

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:42 pm
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath - you may just be who we need to rev up our food threads here. It's been a long time since we really got into discussions like this lovely old one.

If you ever make it back to Tranna, you and I are going to go to Kensington Market and have some good food Smile
CalamityJane

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 09:48 pm
@ehBeth,
I was re-reading these threads now too, ehbeth. I wonder what happened to Patio Dog?
0 Replies

roger

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:02 pm
Butrflynet has a recipe using sweet potatoes and baked beans. It's hard to keep from making an entire meal out to it.
FBM

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:03 pm
Unfavorite is definitely sweet potato pizza. Whatever Korean thought that one up must've been drunk on soju. Gag.
ehBeth

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 10:12 pm
@FBM,
really? I like the perogy pizza at Boston Pizza

Quote:
Spicy Perogy
An inspired combination of sour cream, smoky bacon and BP's Favourite Cactus Cut Potatoes with pizza mozzarella and cheddar, topped with green onion and a generous dollop of sour cream.

I thought it would be nasty but it's good, and I made a pizza with a sliced/roasted potato base.

here is a mini version

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/potato-pizette-bites

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/assets/cache/images/assets/uploads/Potato-Pizette-Bites-484x363-top.jpg

I'd considered making a sweet potato version of it (I thought it would come out a bit lasagna-like)

http://ifoodreal.com/sweet-potato-pizza-crust/

http://ifoodreal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/FG1-easy-sweet-potato-pizza-crust-recipe.jpg
ossobuco

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:02 pm
Off and on for the last year I've bought yams and roasted them, small ones. Split them, had one of the splits thawed, for breakfast, with butter.

I still haven't played with parsnips but I think I could get over my childhood hatred.
Those parsnips talked about before are the ones I had at the now out of business ital restaurant here, Vivace, loved that place - sort of parsnip potato chips.
All these years later, I wonder what my mother did to kill them, why I hated them. Not her fault, she was born in 1901 and did her best, and in retrospect from here, she was adventurous. However, you won't find parsnips at my store, so maybe distaste carries on, or more probably geography + distaste.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:10 pm
@roger,
Almost lost it. It is the next in line of our years of PMs to be purged. This will preserve it. Here is a copy of what I sent you when you said you liked it.

Quote:
I just combined a bunch of recipes together and used the best of each except for all the added brown sugar. I used sweet potatoes instead to give it some texture and extra sweetness. I didn't measure anything, but here's an approximate of the recipe:

Sweet Potato and Baked Bean Casserole

1 medium can Bush's Texas Ranchero Grillin Beans (pinto beans, jalapenos and red chili sauce)
1 large can Bush's Onion Baked Beans (bacon, onion, brown sugar)
1 large can Bush's Country Style Baked Beans (bacon, brown sugar)
1/2 pound thick sliced bacon - 1 inch slices
1 medium onion - 1 inch diced
1 yellow bell pepper - 1 inch diced
1 large sweet potato - peeled and 1/2 inch diced
2 tbs. barbecue sauce
1 tbs. honey mustard
1/4 cup catsup
1 tbs. A-1 Sauce

1. Heat large skillet and cook bacon slices until crisp. Remove from pan, drain on paper towel and refrigerate until beans are ready to serve.
2. Add onion and bell pepper to skillet and cook until tender.
3. Add all 3 cans of beans to skillet.
4. Add diced sweet potato and remaining ingredients and stir gently to combine.
5. Put all ingredients in a covered casserole dish and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
6. Stir in cooked bacon and serve.
FBM

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:40 pm
@ehBeth,
But those aren't sweet potatos, are they? Big difference in taste, I'd think...

Edit: Wait. Saw the second part of your post. I still say "gag." Wink
ehBeth

Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:43 pm
@FBM,
I'm still going to try it.

I'll report back.

Maybe I'll start with minis like the pic with the regular potato slices.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 30 Dec, 2014 12:23 am
@Butrflynet,
Oh my goodness. With friends like you, why would I need the recipes?
0 Replies