AFGHANISTAN - A LESSON 200 YEARS OLD

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:11 pm
@msolga,
I don't think my country's negotiators should be employed in Afghanistan, and I certainly don't think they should be employed in conducting farcical peace talks so that when Obama, against the advice of his generals, pulls our troops out he can claim he left the country in peace.

Look at the current conditions in Iraq and the nonsense Obama spewed about the country being democratic and secure when he ignored the advice of his generals and pulled our troops out from there.

He never intended to secure victory in either war. It has always been about politics for him.

I would have far more respect for him if he pulled the troops out the first week of his presidency. The ultimate result would be the same and a lot less American service men and women would be dead or maimed.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
How long did you want to engage the US in Iraq's illegal war? For what benefit?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Iraq's illegal war? Which war is that? I think you are looking into the future and seeing the Iraqi Shiite government powers waging war on the Kurds.

Perhaps you meant the "illegal war" the US has waged in Iraq.

(BTW I understand Coumadin can work wonders)

I missed the ruling that the Iraqi War was illegal. Would you please cite the decision?

The Iraqi War, such as it ever was, was over some time ago. Leaving a force of between 20,000 and 30,000 American troops in Iraq would not have constituted the continuation of The Iraqi War.

Before our troops left, violence had been considerably reduced. Since our troops have left, violence has considerably increased.

I would have done what it took to leave a sufficient US force in Iraq to prevent an increase in violence and encourage a democracy that seems to be currently forsaken. Unlike Obama, I would have at least tried.

Regardless of whether or not one thinks we should have invaded Iraq, we did. In so doing we lost the lives of thousands and the limbs of many more.

Pulling out too soon and allowing Iraq to return to a violent, un-democratic state means that all of those deaths and injuries were in vain.

I can appreciate that some folks were dead set against the invasion and take some solace in what appears to be an end to the war, but the soldiers who lost their lives and limbs in Iraq were our sons and daughters, and they were there because they chose to serve us all.

Allowing their sacrifices to be, in effect, meaningless because of partisan political urges, seems to me to be obscene.

Do you really think that the majority of families who lost a child in Iraq or the majority of soldiers who were maimed there don't really care whether or not some goal was accomplished?

I, thank God, have all my limbs and all my children are all alive, but if I lost a leg or a son in Iraq I could only live with the pain and grief if I thought it was for a purpose.

Pulling out too soon and allowing Iraq to sink back into chaos or a dictatorship denies any purpose at all.

But of course your political passions are far more important than the desire of veterans and their families to think their sacrifices actually meant something.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's because your memory is bad; the Bush administration lied to congress to get them to approve the war. Our attack on Iraq, a sovereign country, was illegal under all international laws, because they posed no threat to our country.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI - Has it yet to dawn on you that simply because you think something or other it doesn't make it so and it certainly doesn't make it legal?

You've concluded the Bush Administration lied to congress.

Of course it didn't, but regardless of whether you or I am right about this, no US institution has adopted your take on it.

What international institution agrees with you? Certainly not the UN.

I'm afraid I am just not going to abandon my convictions and concede your silly positions simply because you say so.

I must of missed the news report wherein the whole world invested it's position on right and wrong with one cicerone imposter and his opinions.
msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 01:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I don't think my country's negotiators should be employed in Afghanistan, and I certainly don't think they should be employed in conducting farcical peace talks so that when Obama, against the advice of his generals, pulls our troops out he can claim he left the country in peace

Finn, I asked you what you'd suggest as an alternative to negotiating with the Taliban, given the the 2014 deadline for US (and allies) withdrawal.

I'd still like to hear your thoughts on alternatives to negotiations.

Apart from occupation with no end, what do you suggest?
Or perhaps endless occupation is your preferred option?
This is not just an internal US political matter. It concerns Afghan civilians & allied countries & their troops as well. There has to be an end in sight, surely?

Quote:
Look at the current conditions in Iraq and the nonsense Obama spewed about the country being democratic and secure when he ignored the advice of his generals and pulled our troops out from there.

He never intended to secure victory in either war. It has always been about politics for him.

What would be your definition of a "victory" in Iraq, Finn?
Given that the justification for invasion was to do with weapons of mass destruction?
None were found & untold suffering & deaths (civilian & military) eventuated.
How could Obama have made that situation a victory?

And how would you define a "victory" in Afghanistan now?
(When originally the the justification for invasion was to do with Osama bin Laden & 9/11... who, as we all know, is no longer around.)
The government is corrupt & untrustworthy, the deaths (civilian & troops) keep mounting.
Where to from here, in your opinion?

-
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:32 am
@msolga,
Good questions - all of them. thx
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I must of missed the news report wherein the whole world invested it's position on right and wrong ...

As I have said before, often, these are not mistakes of grammar, they are simply spelling errors. Does anyone think for a moment that Finn doesn't know, have a firm grasp of the actual grammar here?

That's a preposterous notion that is actually advanced by some language teachers, not to mention many A2Kers who frequented the English peeves threads.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 07:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What international institution agrees with you? Certainly not the UN.

I'm afraid I am just not going to abandon my convictions and concede your silly positions simply because you say so.

I must of missed the news report wherein the whole world invested it's position on right and wrong with one cicerone imposter and his opinions.

Both the Iraq invasion and the Afghanistan invasion were illegal war crimes committed by the US and its coalition of Uncle Sam suckups.

Quote:

Iraq war illegal, says Annan

The United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has told the BBC the US-led invasion of Iraq was an illegal act that contravened the UN charter.
He said the decision to take action in Iraq should have been made by the Security Council, not unilaterally.

The UK government responded by saying the attorney-general made the "legal basis... clear at the time".

Mr Annan also warned security in Iraq must considerably improve if credible elections are to be held in January.

The UN chief said in an interview with the BBC World Service that "painful lessons" had been learnt since the war in Iraq.

"Lessons for the US, the UN and other member states. I think in the end everybody's concluded it's best to work together with our allies and through the UN," he said.

'Valid'

"I hope we do not see another Iraq-type operation for a long time - without UN approval and much broader support from the international community," he added.

He said he believed there should have been a second UN resolution following Iraq's failure to comply over weapons inspections.

And it should have been up to the Security Council to approve or determine the consequences, he added.

When pressed on whether he viewed the invasion of Iraq as illegal, he said: "Yes, if you wish. I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter from our point of view, from the charter point of view, it was illegal."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3661134.stm
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 08:22 pm
@JTT,
I remember when the UN denied Bush the approval for war in Iraq, he was pissed off and said he'll do what is necessary to "protect Americans." That was an outright lie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 08:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, Your memory is lousy, and you fail to even attempt to accept facts presented to you, because you already have your mind made up.

Try the following FACTS from Answers.com:
Quote:
Did George W Bush lie, mislead, or only tell part of the truth
GERMANY:
Prior to the US invasion of Iraq, German Intelligence (the BND) provided one informant to the CIA, that informant's code name was curveball; recently his real name was reviled to be Rafid Ahmed Alwan. German Intelligence informed the CIA that they did not believe curveball's claims of Nuclear and Biological mobile weapons laboratories however; as allies do, the Germans handed curveball over to the US. The CIA fully vetted what curveball told them and concluded that "we believe that curveball is just telling us what we want to here".
The Bush administration omitted the fact that our own CIA, as well as German Intelligence, did not believe curveball when Bush submitted the case for war to the US Congress. The Bush administration also omitted the fact all the intelligence concerning mobile weapons laboratories was from one sole source without any corroboration.
Colin Powell's presentation to the United Nations concerning Iraq's mobile weapons laboratories was also based solely on the statements of curveball.
Germany was angered by the Bush Administration's omissions, and although they did fight with the US in Afghanistan, Germany refused to invade Iraq.

Sources:
CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/01/60minutes/main3440577_page4.shtml
Associated Press:
http://www.pr-inside.com/report-Iraqi-source-who-bolstered-case-r496586.htm
MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23728050/
FRANCE:
French Intelligence had an informant who was a member of Saddam's cabinet, Naji Sabri, Iraq's foreign minister. Sabri told French Intelligence that Saddam had no significant, active biological weapons program. When Sabri spoke to the CIA he was asked if Saddam acquired enriched uranium could he build a nuclear bomb in "several months to a year."? Sabri stated that Saddam to a great extent wanted a nuclear bomb, but would not be able to build a nuclear device that quickly, he would require much more time. Sabri also informed both France and the CIA that Saddam's forces had buried nerve gas after the Iran Iraq war; he estimated the weapons cache at 500 metric tons. However; Sabri's estimates were incorrect as only a small amount of rusted and degraded canisters were actually found. Sabri never spoke of any link between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.
Later Sabri ranted publicly that the Bush Administration only wanted to attack Iraq to secure its oil reserves.
France was angered by Bush Administration's ignoring of Sabri's statements, and although they did fight with the US in Afghanistan, France refused to invade Iraq.

Sources:
CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/03/21/Iraq.wmds/index.HTML
MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11927856/
NY TIMES:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/22/politics/22intel.HTML
UNITED KINGDOM GREAT BRITAIN
Prior to the US invasion of Iraq, British Prime Minister Tony Blair's senior ministers meet on July 23, 2002 in a classified meeting at Downing Street. The notes from that meeting later were nicknamed the "Downing Street Memos" when they were published by the Sunday Times on May 1, 2005.
The memos state "Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."
"It seemed clear that Bush had made up his mind to take military action, even if the timing was not yet decided. But the case was thin. Saddam was not threatening his neighbours, and his WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea or Iran. We should work up a plan for an ultimatum to Saddam to allow back in the UN weapons inspectors. This would also help with the legal justification for the use of force."
These and other statements contained in the Downing Street Memos showed that as George W Bush was publically stating war was the last option, behind the scenes according to the memos "It seemed clear that Bush had made up his mind to take military action"

Sources:
FOX News:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158228,00.HTML
Times UK
http://www.timesonline.co.UK/tol/news/UK/article387374.ece
Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/12/AR2005051201857.HTML
ITALY & NIGER:
In late 2001, Italian Intelligence received documents that show Saddam Hussein's government was attempting to purchase yellow cake uranium from the country of Niger. These documents were handed over to the CIA and to Great Britain. By early 2002 both CIA and the State Department discovered the documents were forgeries.
Former Iraq Ambassador Joe Wilson was sent by senior officials in the US Government to look into the documents claims. Joe Wilson found no evidence that Saddam had attempted to purchase yellow cake uranium. After informing the Bush Administration of the fact that the documents were forgeries and Joe Wilson found no evidence of any sale of yellow cake uranium, the George Bush said in his state of the union address "the British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa".
Joe Wilson wrote an op-ed in the NY Times entitled "What I didn't find in Niger" refuting the Presidents statements. Shortly there after his wife, Valerie Plame Wilson, had her covert identity of a CIA officer blown in a column by Robert Novak.

Sources:
Telegraph co.UK:
http://www.telegraph.co.UK/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/05/wuran05.xml
NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/04/international/Europe/04italy.HTML
CBS News:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/21/60minutes/main1527749.shtml
ABC News:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/07/Wilson-bush-acc.HTML
GEORGE W BUSH:
In the lead up to the US invasion of Iraq George W Bush made numerous statements, both direct and indirect, linking Saddam Hussein with the events of September 11th and Osama Bin Laden.
After exhaustive research the September 11 Report found no operational link between Saddam Hussien and Al Qaeda. The Pentagon and CIA also have found no operational link between Saddam Hussien and Al Qaeda and after the Iraq war George W Bush himself stated "I've seen no evidence that Saddam Hussien was involved with the September 11th."

Sources:
MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7634313/
MSNBC
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13480264/
Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/30/AR2006063001528_pf.HTML

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_George_Bush_lie_about_the_WMDs_in_Iraq#ixzz1k3b95ws3

JTT

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 10:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There are enough sources there to keep Finn busy for the rest of his life, CI.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 10:53 pm
@JTT,
Copied from the United Kingdom section:
Quote:
"It seemed clear that Bush had made up his mind to take military action, even if the timing was not yet decided. But the case was thin. Saddam was not threatening his neighbours, and his WMD capability was less than that of Libya, North Korea or Iran. We should work up a plan for an ultimatum to Saddam to allow back in the UN weapons inspectors. This would also help with the legal justification for the use of force."

The fact of the matter is, we did have UN weapons inspectors in Iraq looking for those WMD's, but Bush chased them out.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:34 am
@msolga,
Since Obama has announced the date of our troops' departure we have no alternative but to do what we can in the time left to prepare the Afghan forces for the intensified war they will surely be forced to fight after we leave.

That seems an impossible task and will result in further American casualties so I'm in favor of pulling out right now. That won't happen though.

"Victory" in Iraq and Afghanistan would entail one of two scenarios:

1) The obliteration of the Taliban in Afghanistan and the obliteration of Al Qaeda and sectarian extremists in Iraq. The chances for such victories were blown while Bush was President and there was never even a remote chance that Obama would attempt what Bush did not do.

2) Leaving the Afghan army and government in a position to resist and defeat the Taliban after we leave, and the Iraqi army and government in a position to resist and defeat extremist insurgents.

Clearly, neither scenario will be achieved in either nation.

Whether you agree with it or not, the goal of the Iraqi war was not simply to eliminate Saddam's WMD stockpiles and capabilities. If it was, once Saddam was crushed and the Bush administration was forced to acknowledge there were no WMDs, the troops would have been pulled out and victory in the sense of ridding the world of a brutal tyrant could have been declared.

Many folks on the left use the term neo-con as if they have some idea of what it means. If they did, they would realize that an essential element of the neo-con strategy for Iraq was to establish an Islamic democracy in the Middle East. The execution of that strategy was bungled from the first days after the fighting between Iraqi and US military forces ceased.

The reason for invading Afghanistan was not to kill Osama bin Laden (although clearly that was an important and also bungled goal). The reasons were:

1) To kill and capture as many al-Qaeda terrorists as possible and drive those who survived from their established bases
2) To thoroughly disrupt and degrade al-Qaeda's ability to wage war on the US
3) To punish the Taliban who defied our demands to turn over bin-Laden and send a message to any other government that chose to aide our terrorist enemies
4) To bring bin-Laden to justice.

The neo-cons expanded the mission to establish a democracy in Afghanistan which was a mistake and which was also bungled.

It was a mistake because even if establishing a democracy in that medieval nation was possible, it was of little strategic importance. I'm sympathetic to the idea that if we send our military into a country we should, after accomplishing our immediate goals, leave it in better shape or on a better path than it was before we invaded. For the neo-cons, this meant leaving a democratic government. Even if they had been more competent in the attempt to achieve that goal, the chances of success were never good. When the US government anointed Kharzai the chances shrank further.

While there was a strategic reason to establish a democracy in Iraq, there wasn't in Afghanistan.

Once the Taliban was driven from power and al-Qaeda's organization driven into mountain caves, we should have withdrawn with the warning that we would be back if it appeared Afghanistan was starting to become a terrorist haven once more.

Once we embarked on a course of nation building in Afghanistan we were committed to finish the job. Obviously we will not.

It's ironic that it is the effort to dress up war as a noble effort whenever it must be employed that leads to overly expansive goals and ultimately greater casualties.

The US was seriously attacked on 9/11. We had every right and every reason to invade Afghanistan and accomplish the goals I outlined above, but because we are living with the positive residue of the Marshall Plan and the negative residue of Vietnam, our leaders often feel we are obligated to append reconstruction to our destruction.

The most successful wars waged by the US in the last 50 years were the first Gulf War and the Bosnian War. We went in, achieved our military goals and got out, with a remarkably low casualty rate. Any attempt at influencing the two situations in a manner other than warfare proved to be ineffectual and even damaging.

The lesson we should learn from the Iraqi war is that we are not capable of carrying out such a grand strategy, without a whole lot more warfare, and I don't think any power is or ever was able to do so.

The Marshall Plan was successful, in part, because our enemies were so totally vanquished. There was never any real fear of German and Japanese insurgents. They were both utterly defeated and ecstatic to have their conquerors treat them in such a way. The enemies in Afghanistan and Iraq have not been utterly defeated, and by telling them when we plan to leave we have assured that they will hang on.

If we are not willing to level a nation so that it has no choice but to embrace rebuilding, we should put away all thoughts of nation building and grand geopolitical strategies.

Now I have a few questions for you:

If Obama never intended to pursue the definition of victory that I (and many others) have proposed, and, which he professed to agree with, should he not have just pulled the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan as soon as he gained office?

What was his justification for leaving our troops in both countries?

If he came to the conclusion that "victory" was not possible and that our troops needed to come home before any more died or were injured, why did he give a speech which strongly suggested "victory" had been achieved, and why do we still have troops in Afghanistan?

It may be a meaningless distinction to the families who have lost loved ones or the soldiers who have been sorely wounded, but I think that if I were in their shoes I would prefer to think that my leader always believed victory was possible rather than callously playing politics so he could be re-elected.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Democracies are not established from without (from the outside).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 01:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
Agreed, but they can be nurtured from without.
JTT

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
"Victory" in Iraq and Afghanistan would entail one of two scenarios:

1) The obliteration of the Taliban in Afghanistan and the obliteration of Al Qaeda and sectarian extremists in Iraq.

You forgot the obliteration of all the terrorists that reside in the USA, not to mention all the terrorists that the US has trained and installed in C & S America.

Until they stop, people around the globe will continue to react to the overwhelming terrorist actions of the US.

Really, Finn, don't you think that given all the "greatness" of the US that it could consider operating in the world economy without stealing the wealth of poor people/countries?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That doesn't happen until enough citizens within are outraged by their government, and are willing to die for democracy.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 12:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Agreed, but they can be nurtured from without.

Young Finn, for your next assignment, describe one situation where the US has nurtured a democracy into place from without.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, thank you for such a long & detailed post in response to what I posted.
I've read it carefully a few times.

But I can't respond to your comments & arguments without first noting that our respective "positions" on war are very different. I believe that invading another country to resolve conflict, or in retaliation to a perceived grievance, is an outmoded, primitive & ineffective method of resolution. Though I am not 100% pacifist. I believed that a country has very right to defend itself from an attack or invasion. And I sincerely believe that if it was up to the citizens of most countries to decided whether to engage in wars or not (as opposed to those interests which have much to gain from war) then there would be far fewer wars .... because overwhelmingly the casualties of war are the ordinary people, definitely not those who profit from them.
Whereas you, I think it's fair to say, hold quite a different attitude toward war.

So while you might talk about a possible "victory" in Afghanistan, I would argue that no such victory is possible ... and that the invasion should never have occurred, was not justified, in the first place. Look at the title of this thread. What did the people of Afghanistan do to deserve 200 years of war, with different invaders? I'd suspect that they would see the US and its allies as just the latest in a long line of outside aggressors they've had to deal with as best they can. I doubt many ordinary Afghans would even be aware of 9/11, or care too much about the ideologies of the Taliban or al-Qaeda.

I'd argue that the best we can hope for now is what I'd call "an honorable as possible withdrawal" ... or, using your words, "leave it (Afghanistan) in better shape or on a better path than it was before we invaded". Though I believe their future "path" is for them , not us, to decide. (Though, of course, with a corrupt government still in charge, corrupt warlords & hangers-on still controlling so much of the country, it's doubtful that ordinary people will have any more say in their "path" than they had before.)
But yes, it is our responsibility (as the withdrawing invaders) to leave Afghanistan in reasonable shape. In other words, do our best to clean up the messes we've created. I agree with that part of what you posted.

Quote:
Whether you agree with it or not, the goal of the Iraqi war was not simply to eliminate Saddam's WMD stockpiles and capabilities. If it was, once Saddam was crushed and the Bush administration was forced to acknowledge there were no WMDs, the troops would have been pulled out and victory in the sense of ridding the world of a brutal tyrant could have been declared.

Many folks on the left use the term neo-con as if they have some idea of what it means. If they did, they would realize that an essential element of the neo-con strategy for Iraq was to establish an Islamic democracy in the Middle East. The execution of that strategy was bungled from the first days after the fighting between Iraqi and US military forces ceased.

You're right, I don't agree, Finn.
I think most people's understanding of the "official" reason for the invasion of Iraq was weapons of mass destruction.
Or at least that was the initial justification given, prior to the shocking and awing of Baghdad. There have been all sorts of other reasons expounded since (from the neo-con perspective), but initially it was not about "removing a brutal tyrant". I think the changed justification (bringing democracy to Iraq by removing Saddam) after the wmd argument caused such world-wide antipathy toward the US, had more to do with the Bush administration's need to find another, more acceptable justification for the invasion.
.... and once the "Arab spring" uprisings were underway, yet another justification for the invasion of Iraq from neo-cons was that removing Saddam from power was the first stage, the inspiration, for the the Arab spring uprisings. I don't for a minute believe that either.

Quote:
Now I have a few questions for you:

If Obama never intended to pursue the definition of victory that I (and many others) have proposed, and, which he professed to agree with, should he not have just pulled the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan as soon as he gained office?

What was his justification for leaving our troops in both countries?

If he came to the conclusion that "victory" was not possible and that our troops needed to come home before any more died or were injured, why did he give a speech which strongly suggested "victory" had been achieved, and why do we still have troops in Afghanistan?

It may be a meaningless distinction to the families who have lost loved ones or the soldiers who have been sorely wounded, but I think that if I were in their shoes I would prefer to think that my leader always believed victory was possible rather than callously playing politics so he could be re-elected.

I think you've misunderstood my earlier post, Finn.
Perhaps believing that I somehow supported Obama's policies & actions in regard to Afghanistan, while being critical of the Bush administration?
I had hoped that Obama would be a more peacefully-inclined president than George Bush ... so did many others. I guess that that's why he received the Noble Peace Prize so early in his presidency ... on the assumption that he would take an entirely different approach to war & foreign invasions than the neo-cons. Then there was his Cairo speech, which inspired hope of an entirely different approach to that of the "war on terror". Of course, we now know that that didn't happen. It was just (war) business as usual. His administration simply carried on from where the Bush administration had left off, without missing a beat ...
So if you were expecting me to argue that Obama's approach was preferable to Bush's.
No, not at all.
-
0 Replies