You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:02 am
You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 64 • Views: 61,811 • Replies: 386

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:03 am
invention of the automated answering service
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:04 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,

Good choice, Bear. Evil or Very Mad Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:07 am
Hmmmm? How about preventing the separation of the earth's plates creating competiting continents.

Hmmmm?

BBB
Blickers

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Hmmmm? How about preventing the separation of the earth's plates creating competiting continents.

I wouldn't stop that, since that is part of a whole system of gradual climate changes, (changing sea flow definitely affects climate), which eventually led to us appearing in the first place.

Pretty good chance that if the continents didn't separate and drift, we never exist.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:19 am
@Blickers,
I agree, but would the planet be better off without humans?

BBB
Blickers

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:24 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Does it have to be a natural catastrophe?

If we can include man-made catastrophes, I would think stopping Hitler from coming to power would be high up on the list.

The Plague also would rank high for elimination.
PDiddie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:28 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'd probably saaaaay....

seeing to it that Adolph Hitler's mother got an abortion.
Blickers

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:28 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I agree, but would the planet be better off without humans?

I don't think so.

Whenever you hear someone go on about how much we supposedly control this place, remember that there are 55 pounds of insects for every pound of human being on earth. We're not as important as we crack ourselves up to be.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:32 am
@Blickers,
Yes, but have humans caused more damage to the planet than other life forms?

BBB
Blickers

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:35 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
We've made changes, sure.

But insects and other life forms have also transformed the planet as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "damage". Things change over time. In order to put in something new, you have to "damamge" the situation which existed before.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:40 am
@Blickers,
I call that evolution.

BBB
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:30 am
@PDiddie,
can nod on that
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:44 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I would have been better off buying a townhouse, rather than a mobile home back in the 1980s.

Where our family was living at the time, the property values went up four-fold. I could have sold it, moved to where I am now, and had a huge downpayment, and subequently, had the current townhouse paid off years sooner.

Water under the bridge, I suppose. Sad
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:18 pm
Maybe the World Trade Center disaster. That led to war and countless lost lives mostly through the ignorance of our leaders. Either that or stop Erica from Marrying Matt.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:55 pm
The invention of the atomic bomb and all its relatives.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:32 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:

The flood. I mean, you said "you CAN... prevent....". The flood in real life was not preventable.

After that would likely be WW-I which somebody in the right position might could have prevented.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:50 pm
You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe.
Which one would you prevent?

I 'd prevent slavery, leaving the blacks undisturbed in Africa.

David
gungasnake

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I 'd prevent slavery, leaving the blacks undisturbed in Africa...

That wouldn't spare anybody from slavery and the unintended consequences could and likely would be really vast. Most US citizens figure slavery to have been something limited to plantations and have no real concept of how big a deal it was, largely because something like 90% of the trade never involved the US and mostly involved central and south America.
chai2

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:32 pm
hmmm....

I don't see the continents separating as a catastrophe.

Thinking of each one presented, the alternative could very well have been much worse in the long run.

Sure, I can't think off the top of my head how hitler never being born could have made things worse, but I'm sure it could...maybe not immediately, or at present, but in the future.

If the black plague hadn't happened, human might be extinct now because of the results of overpopulation, or someone staying alive who was the ancestor of someone who destroys the world.

That would make an interesting novel.