Breaking a lease

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:43 pm
Im just curious.. how easy is it to break a lease generally speaking?

My landlord has brought in two new sets of people that have left me feeling extremely uncomfortable.
Not to mention Mr speed head is back downstairs after a one year stint in prison.
I have talked with my landlord candidly about some of this and he is truly gracious in the sense that he is more then willing to allow me to install a security system AND refund me the money for it.
( I talked about getting one before.. just lost the need for it when Speed head left)

As a person, my landlord has been wonderful to me. To us I should say.
He has allowed me to paint things how I want them, replace doors , fixtures, gave me say so in how the bathroom was remodeled, and always listens to me when I tell him something is wrong. I really DO want to stay in 'business' with him, but not in this slum.
I really can not handle this place anymore. It is the neighborhood. It is the mentality of the people around. It is the lack of respect.. you name it. There are many things that are uncomfortable with this place.

But there is nothing legal to stand on that may help when explaining why I would like to relocate to another property.
Given that my reasons are all personal, is it reasonable to think I could break a lease based on those things?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,078 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 08:55 pm
@shewolfnm,
have you READ your lease, dear?

I'm guessin' yer guy knows the ins and outs of chasing someone. Aren't you month to month by now?

Long time no speaky...
kuvasz

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:33 pm
generally you'll lose your deposit money and that's likely the sum of a single month of rent.

but on the down side if you move you get hit for your new place which will be a months rent and an equivalent amount for a deposit on the new place and your moving cost.

the alternative is for YOU to become the neighbor from hell and force your new neighbors to move

now you know why we have things like the mafia.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:43 pm
@shewolfnm,
What is the wording in your lease about early termination of the agreement?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:25 pm
@shewolfnm,
I read my lease for the first few months when we moved in.
Honestly, I never covered early termination... it just did not cross my mind.
I will go to the lawyers office on Monday and get a copy so that I can read that section. You are right. My answer is probably right there.

Unfortunately.. this is not a neighborhood where I could BE neighbor from hell with out serious repercussions. I could have my car damaged, my apt broken into, ... when I say 'slum' I mean it.
I have a dealer in the next building. 4 convicted child molesters with in 1/2 block.Spray paint all over the place.. just.. a real crappy neighborhood. I have to mind my business to keep us safe.
trust me. I would LOVE to be harder then I am . I have called police before. On Mr SpeedHead no less. That situation was horrid.

What I am hoping for, is that maybe I could just transfer my lease from one property to another.
There was no real cash down payment, or deposit.
My deposit was fixing this place up. When he finally had the police open the door here, the people who lived here before just walked out about 3 months prior. Leaving food, trash, dirty diapers and other nasty stuff every where. They tore doors off the hinges, busted up door frames. Rolled carpet off the floor, left HUGE holes in the walls, clogged drains, removed drain pipes.. This place was disgusting.
For a fast lease, I agreed to clean it up in exchange for the deposit. My work on this place is definatly triple one months rent. Or his deposit.
but that was all done with a hand shake and nothing more. So there isnt that to fall back on..

ehhh

I need my lease.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Long time no speaky...

I know. And Im truly sorry.
I hardly have time to even sign on here anymore. Im lucky to post once a day IF that.

we can talk next week though. Jillian is half day every day so i will be home in the afternoons playing housewife.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:28 pm
@shewolfnm,
Prolly not really, although reading it first is not a bad idea...

yer guy will work with you.

go be straight and forceful, as you always are.

He won't wanna lose you, you just have to let him know you are done there...

hugs.

(i gottta new #)
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:33 pm
@Rockhead,
My landlord is a pretty good guy.

He brought his boyfriend for me to meet, then wanted me to meet his mother.
Im pretty sure he likes me Wink I just cant afford to hit legal walls.
I can afford 150.00 more a month for a better place, but not a new deposit + back rent +fees.. blah blah. ( all of that I hope to find in my lease)
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

(i gottta new #)

email it to me
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 10:37 pm
@shewolfnm,
your guy is not black and white.

Pick a good time, and tell him how it is...

(I still got your #, is tomorrow good?)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 09:41 am
Perhaps this guy has other properties, in better areas? Maybe you could work out to move to one of those?
eoe

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 10:15 am
@jespah,
That's what I was going to suggest. If he's got property elsewhere, surely something can be worked out. As the mother of a young girl, you just don't feel safe anymore where you are. And you have good reason. Who can argue with that?
Mame

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 11:15 am
@eoe,
I agree with both of the ladies here... if he has other property and likes you, he'll probably be very amenable to letting you move up to a better location. Talk to him first, She.

Rocky, can you email me your new #, too? Tx.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:08 pm
@Mame,
I bypassed the lease and cornered mr Landlord this morning.
I just dumped it on him as it is. I told him about everything and then asked him if there were any options.
He does not have any other properties that would suit us . Besides this apartment building, he has several houses but rents them by the room or by the floor for low income families. But nothing like a condo or small home.

So we began talking about what can be done here.

No sooner then our conversation was over, he went door to door with the issues we discussed .

I really do like that man Smile

But I dont know if this is going to work either.
With out going into too much detail ( paranoid of being found out ya know) we talked about neighbor issues, grafitti, loud car stereos, drugs etc.
I did not know this, but he has established a relationship with all the other building owners on this circle. He has no problems going to each owner with concerns. He already called the city about the spray paint and they will come cover it next week.
He tackled the rotting piles of furniture in the circle , going to each building and having them remove it and a few other things.

Im going to put some work into the plan and see what comes of it, but not without my alarm installed .
jespah

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 05:08 am
@shewolfnm,
The guy is definitely trying, and I can see your wanting to maintain a landlord/tenant relationship with him.

If it absolutely, positively cannot be worked out with him, and since he does not have a suitable other property, perhaps the next step is to see if you can get something with one of the other property owners he knows? Again, he'd see you're not trying to screw him out of his $$, just looking for a better life for yourself and Bean.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 06:59 am
@jespah,
I have thought about that.
But that would be an issue that I would defiantly ride out my lease to tackle. I would only break this lease if I were going to another of his properties or if Bean and I were in danger.

Danger is not yet .. a..concrete issue.. but it could be one if I am not careful about our plan.I made it very clear to him about never naming me if he has to call police for some of the things that I tell him go on here. I can not be a source for it. I hate being the 'nosey' neighbor as it is, but I refuse to live in this **** anymore. Since I cant move myself, Im going to attempt to move the ****.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:36 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm- Since you have a good personal relationship with your landlord, why don't you have a chat with him? Sometimes a landlord will let a person out of a lease if he can rent it to another person in a certain period of time. He knows of your concerns, and if he is as nice a person as you say, he may cut you some slack.

If he won't cooperate, then see your attorney, but there is no harm in trying.
0 Replies