People are saying some really ugly things here in Texas....

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:52 pm
I'm embarrassed and appalled by some of the things my family and friends are revealing about themselves after this election.

My respect for Mr. Obama increased a great deal, because if I'm appalled by this, I can hardly imagine what he's had to deal with his entire life. (My admiration extends to everyone who has to deal with this, and manages not to be consumed with rage.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 38 • Views: 19,420 • Replies: 183

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:02 pm
@DrewDad,
Some pretty ugly things are being said here on a2k.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:05 pm
Well, DD, you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family . . . it's up to you to decide if it's worth it stand up to them, to keep silent, or just to drift away. I have no contact with what remains of my family.
Reyn

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:06 pm
@littlek,
Yeah, and it's getting real old and boring to keep seeing the same BS coming up all the time.

Can you say, 'Collapse'?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:51 pm
@DrewDad,
Blazing Saddles references??

http://www.morethings.com/fan/blazing_saddles/blazing_saddles-cleavon_little.jpg
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

I'm embarrassed and appalled by some of the things my family and friends are revealing about themselves after this election.

My respect for Mr. Obama increased a great deal

Well, maybe next January, Oboy and his Demos in Congress
will make any such statements criminal, ex post facto
and incarcerate your family n friends, so u can have even MORE respect for him and be happy.

Won 't that be nice ?

You are so full of ****.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:39 pm
@DrewDad,
Some of my closest family and relatives have said some horribly ignorant and hateful things over the past few months as well. One of my aunts has lost just about all respect I once had for her, and my parents...oy.

So I'm just trying to enjoy the victory, savor the big fat positive moment in history that I just helped make happen, and I decide to call my parents tonight to see how they're taking the news. They aren't too happy. My dad tells me there were a whole bunch of new racist Obama jokes going around at his work today. At one point my mother tells me they were disgusted when they saw all the black people celebrating the victory on the news.

I wonder if they'll ever change. These attitudes are just so ingrained in them. I am pretty sure my dad is going to just keep on thinking the way he thinks and that's that, but my mother....there might be hope there. It seemed to me that she actually realized that this is not a good way to be, and she even said she needs to work on not being prejudiced anymore. So who knows, maybe this Obama presidency will somehow help them get rid of at least a little bit of that racist poison that's been rolling around in their heads for such a long time.

One can hope.

http://typo.graphr.net/images/obama-hope.jpg
Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:42 pm
@kickycan,
I feel great hope when someone with racist parents manages to avoid the same feelings themselves. Good on ya.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:43 pm
@kickycan,
Kicky, my 89 year old mostly raised Kansas and Oklahoma racist Gramma went and voted for a "black" man, and is proud of what it signifies...

times change.

hugs, my city friend...
parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Well, maybe next January, Oboy and his Demos in Congress
will make any such statements criminal, ex post facto
and incarcerate your family n friends, so u can have even MORE respect for him and be happy.

Won 't that be nice ?

I suppose he could.
Will you be disappointed with him if he doesn't?

I know you will be heart broken if he doesn't take your guns away. You have such high hopes for Obama and he is going to fail miserably when he lets you keep your guns. He just won't live up to what you want him to do.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:08 pm
@parados,
Quote:

Will you be disappointed with him if he doesn't?

No.
Its over.
I already expect the worst from him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:26 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

My respect for Mr. Obama increased a great deal, because if I'm appalled by this, I can hardly imagine what he's had to deal with his entire life. (My admiration extends to everyone who has to deal with this, and manages not to be consumed with rage.)

That's a damn fine point.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:48 am
@littlek,
One expects kooks on the Internet. These are people I've had Thanksgiving dinner with.
Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 07:55 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Me too. Not so much family and friends in my case, but people I knew know better -- except that they don't. Amazing.
Below viewing threshold (view)
revel

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:19 am
@cjhsa,
If the term does not apply, then those who are discussing their new experiences with racism in connection with Obama are not talking about you. I think most of us understand that not everyone who opposes Obama is a racist. However, there is still a lot racism and it was exposed during this election, for some people, close to home.

As for myself I found out I lived in an environment of racist in my family when my daughter first dated a black boy. My husband and his whole side of the family has never treated my youngest daughter the same since. It is hard to deal with, but after years of fighting and discussing it with my husband, he is at least tolerating it as long as he don't have to look at it in his own home. It is all ugly. At one point I almost left my husband over it but my daughter talked me out of it. My husband has voted republican all his adult life, but this time, he voted for Obama. I don’t know what to make of it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:29 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

One expects kooks on the Internet. These are people I've had Thanksgiving dinner with.

Then maybe expressing your disappointment in them will have some effect?
stach

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:47 am
@FreeDuck,
Wow, I am from the Czech Republic and I thought my nation is very racist and that the US is light years ahead when it comes to a civilized attitude, but I see the south suffers from more racism than our north (lots of gipsies live there).

Anyway I would tell the stupid people who have problem with Obama's color to comment on his deeds, not looks. And deeds we have to wait for.

I don't want to pretend I am wise, but also dealing with racism is like dealing with mentally disabled people, it is not all just a matter of arguments and stuff, but a matter of brain development. You also don't hate mentally disabled people so racism is a kind of handicap. Having said that, we have to do what we can to protect basic human rights.

I don't care what color he or she is, I only want to know how deep and genuine a person is.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:00 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Then maybe expressing your disappointment in them will have some effect?

As I'm sure most of you are aware, I'm not one to suffer fools gladly. They know how I feel about their idiocy.
0 Replies