Obama/ Love Him or Hate Him, We've Got Him

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:11 am
Well, the election is over. There are those who are overjoyed, and those who are downright miserable. As for me, I am ambivalent. There are things about Obama that I like very much, and others that I detest. There are issues around Obama that cause me great anxiety.

The thing that I find most distressing is some of the stuff that I am seeing on A2K today. The anger, the vitriol that I am observing, IMO, is more than repugnant.

For Pete's sake, the guy hasn't even taken office yet. Let's give him a chance. I have enough confidence in the USA to believe that the checks and balances will prevent anything wildly dastardly from happening.

Even if one hates the idea of Obama winning, bottom line, the citizens elected him.

What do you think?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:20 am
@Phoenix32890,
I suppose that this a poor reaction of those, who didn't want to see that the great majority of Americans wanted a change.

Or of those, who are unaware of how democracy works (via elections).

But I really expected such - more than "a new civic war after Obama lost".
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:20 am
@Phoenix32890,
It's angst. I don't mind people venting right now, Obama will be an effective prez either way.

Cycloptichorn
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:25 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I dunno. Maybe it's a guy thing to thrash out the way some of the A2Kayers are doing. I find the depth of the anger very distressing.

Whether we voted for him or not, he's ours, and IMO it is up to all of us to make the best of it.
sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
@Phoenix32890,
Wow, I guess I'm appreciating the ignore feature.

Only have a few people on ignore but they must be the worst ones (hence, why they're on ignore!)

Anyway, not seeing it, which is fine with me.

Oh and collapsed a specific thread that looked like it was going nowhere fast.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:31 am
@Phoenix32890,
Some people need to read this..

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:33 am
@parados,
Amen!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:51 am
Agreed Phoenix. I hope Obama has an excellent presidency. I'm sure he will do things I like and probably many things I don't like, based on our vastly different political leanings. Hopefully everything he does will be a positive whether I agreed with it or not at the time.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:52 am
I agree, and hope that those who did not vote for Obama will show more grace and reason over the next four years than those who did not vote for Bush have over the last eight.

I've said it before, it is self-destructive to hope that our president is an utter failure. We will have to live with the results of his failures.

At the same time, though, I don't think we are required to judge his success in any terms other than what we would have expected from McCain or any other president, and to this end we will almost certainly be arguing about whether he is succeeding or failing.

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:20 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I must be missing the worst of it.

Thanks, Phoenix, for saying this. I appreciate that both you and Foxfyre have said very reasonable and gracious things. I think that the people who express the real nastiness are in the minority and that most people will eventually give him a chance. I do understand the hurt feelings -- I remember the disappointment of 4 years ago well and I think it's fair to let people vent for a bit if they need to. I did, but eventually calmed down, and I think most others will too.

That's not to say that I think there won't be opposition to his initiatives -- there will and that is both fair and healthy. I look forward to the debates to come fully expecting that I won't always agree with him either.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Good post Finn.

I'd like to add that I hope conservatives fix the problems they've created for themselves over the last 8 years. This election, while not a blowout, is a repudiation of the last 8 years.

Please, please, please, become a party of discipline, fiscal management, individual liberty, and small-government again.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Please, please, please, become a party of discipline, fiscal management, individual liberty, and small-government again.

I think they almost have to. They can't win with just the culture warriors. But yeah, I'm hoping for some Republican party reform. One party rule isn't good for anyone long term.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:29 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:

Obama/ Love Him or Hate Him, We've Got Him

I guess the French felt that way on June 14th, 1940.

The end of America is now from within, not from without.
Miller

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:32 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

What do you think?[/b][/color]

$700 million to make Obama the next President. What a waste of money, when you consider the significant number of homeless American Vets now on our streets and what that amount of money could do to better their lives.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

... Obama will be an effective prez either way.

Cycloptichorn

The reaction of the stock market would suggest otherwise.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:36 pm
I remember reading as early as the 1950s
that America woud never be defeated from without,
but from within; I gave it little credence -- just brushed it off.
It made no sense.

I was rong.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:42 pm
@maporsche,
Thanks

Agreed
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I guess the French felt that way on June 14th, 1940.

The end of America is now from within, not from without.

Well, I suppose your response, David, is one of the reasons Phoenix created this thread - comparing your democratically elected new president with a racist dictator invading a foreign country ...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I ratify what I said.
parados

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thank you for being a "real American" and supporting your president elected by more than 50% of your fellow citizens.