I Messed Up my Internet

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:30 am
On another thread, I spoke about wanting to get away from Internet Explorer, and try another browser. I had tried Firefox, did not like it, and uninstalled it. No problem. My computer went right back to IE.

Last night I thought that I would try Google's Chrome. I liked it, but there was one obvious problem. I have a wheel mouse that I use to scroll. In Chrome, the wheel will scroll down, but would not work going up the page. I could have lived with that, but Mr. P., who is not at all sophisticated about computers, was not comfortable with scrolling using the sides of the page. So I uninstalled it.

At first I could not get on to the internet at all. I kept getting messages that I had to tell them what program produced what I was looking for. On my icons, some of which usually have the IE logo, it was not there. I have a registry cleaner, which has saved my butt on many occasions. I used it, rebooted, and there were my icons with the IE logo.

Now I have most of my favorite programs (A2K etc.) on desktop icons. I usually click it, and get right to it. Well, they did not work. (The icons not having to do with the internet do work). When I clicked on an icon, I got a blank page, but Internet Explorer was written on the bottom.

I did not know what to do, but somehow I inadvertently hit the "Home" icon on top of the page, and got the MSN home page. Now bear in mind, that in all these years I have NEVER used the home page icon. How my mouse hit that picture is beyond me.

In the interim, I went to all my many used programs, put them into a favorites folder that I named 1aaaa, (so it would be at the top of the list). I also found that my keyboard has a "Home" icon, so that shortened things one step.

This method is usable, but cumbersome. I would really like to have my internet desktop icons take me to the page that I want, rather than having to go through all these machinations.

Anybody have any ideas as to what happened, and how I can fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,636 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 05:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
I am not sure what happened, Phoenix. However, you could right click on the icon and select properties. In URL, type the internet address of the site you want to go to.

Or, you could (after going to the site) copy the address line and paste into the URL section in properties.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:31 am
@Phoenix32890,
I'm using Chrome since the first beta (and even tried it in alpha) - I never had had any trouble during all these months and not at all with the mouses (neither with the Microsoft wheel laser mouse nor with the Logitech optical wheel mouse).

I'm rather sure, it has to do with your settings.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
From IE, go to Tools-Internet Options then click on the Connections Tab then on the Lan Settings button. Make sure "Automatically Detect Settings" is clicked and that neither the autoconfig script or proxy is enabled.

Let me know.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:58 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa- No, that didn't work. Thanks for trying to help though.

I must have screwed something up in the registry. I created a workaround for Mr. P. I made his couple of usual sites as tabs on top. I can get around the internet without any problem.

If anyone has any more suggestions I would appreciate them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:01 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid- Oh yes, I could do that, but my whole point was to keep things as simple as possible for Mr. P.
cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:05 am
@Phoenix32890,
Try recreating the desktop icons (just one to start).
Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:06 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Intrepid- Oh yes, I could do that, but my whole point was to keep things as simple as possible for Mr. P.

You would only have to do it once. Then, the icon would direct to the correct place every time. That is, if I understand your situation correctly.

Also, you might check TOOLS in IE and goto ADVANCED. Ensure that IE is listed as the default browser.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 07:07 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Try recreating the desktop icons (just one to start).

Exactly what I was suggesting.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:00 am
@Intrepid,
Setting the default browser back to IE is what I recommend as well. Sounds like the shortcuts are no longer associated with a default program.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:42 am
@Phoenix32890,
How did you originally create those desktop shortcuts that no longer work?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 01:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks to all of you for your help. The person who made the recommendation that fixed the whole shootin' match was.........................(DRUMROLL)

ROBERT- Thank you so much. Mr. P. thanks you too!
Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:36 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Certainly not to take anything away from Robert. But, he was just agreeing with the answer that I gave a couple posts before. That's ok. I am used to being ignored. Sad

Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:04 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Also, you might check TOOLS in IE and goto ADVANCED. Ensure that IE is listed as the default browser.

Intrepid- I am so sorry. I was so discombobbulated that I think that I read your first sentence, and missed the second. I will never ignore you again. Promise!

As a mea culpa, one of the only times that I become completely deranged is when my computer goes out of whack.
Very Happy
Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:02 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Discombobbulated. That is a neat word. Smile

No need to be sorry. The main thing is that you have a solution.
0 Replies