majikal

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 12:56 am
Yes or no? Why or why not?

Voting YES on PROPOSITION 8 will define MARRIAGE in California to mean only a union between one man and one woman.
YES will add exactly 14 words to the California State Constitution:

"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 87,000 • Replies: 2,027

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:03 am
That has been our custom since the beginning of this Nation. Other Nations have different customs, but ours has been marriage is defined as between one man and one woman.
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:05 am
@Woiyo9,
this country is a mesh of customs from across the entirety of the globe.

if i had the energy i would vote for gay amrriage to be allowed. seriously, its nobodies business but their own.

who are we to deny them pursuit of their happiness? hrmm, the constitution states it pretty clearly.
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:17 am
@OGIONIK,
If you had the energy? Apparently, you do not care enough.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:49 am
@majikal,
Why would anyone resist the idea of allowing gay marriage? Why would anyone think it's their business? Why would anyone think it was the goverments business?

Oh, wait, that's right...Religion. (insert 3 ominous descending minor chords)
majikal

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:00 pm
@Woiyo9,
For a long time it was "custom" for blacks to be property.
For many years it was "custom" to not allow women to vote.
At one time it was "custom" to marry within your own race.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:28 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

That has been our custom since the beginning of this Nation. Other Nations have different customs, but ours has been marriage is defined as between one man and one woman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy_in_the_United_States
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:32 pm
These demonstrations have been going on for several days now a few blocks from where I live. Video available at the link below.

http://cbs13.com/local/sunrise.boulevard.proposition.2.854937.html

Quote:
Nov 3, 2008 5:48 am US/Pacific
Police Make Arrests As Hundreds Clash Over Prop. 8
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― Demonstrations over Proposition 8 continue this morning after they turned violent over the weekend with police making arrests, ticketing motorists and trying to keep the peace at a Citrus Heights intersection where hundreds of demonstrators on both sides of the gay marriage issued clashed.

Demonstrators are out again this morning at the intersection of Sunrise Boulevard and Greenback Lane where police arrested at least three people this weekend for incidents involving pushing, spitting and even pulling out knives. Police brought in extra officers to deal with the crowds.

"You know, if my child grows up and decides they're going to be gay and they get married, I want them to have that right," said Christina Rothman. "That's why I'm here."

"Think about your future for your kids," shouted another protester. "What's going to happen when they grow up?"
majikal

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
I had a few friends at that demonstration today. Heard it got pretty out of hand.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:00 am
@majikal,
If I didn't know any better I'd think I was living in Berkeley still. It's annoying but also inspiring that people are willing to stand up for what they believe in and face down those who wish to silence them.

At least you can turn off the campaign ads on tv and avoid them. We've had news helicopters and traffic control around the area most of yesterday and today. If anyone breaks out tear gas canisters or fire hoses I'm going to put on my Woodstock tapes.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:55 am
@Butrflynet,
How are the polls on Prop 8? Last I paid attention (I'm not in California) it was close.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 01:54 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.kcra.com/gaymarriage/index.html

There's a link there to a video on the latest poll results. It's dead even, so even that it too has now become an issue.

http://www.kcra.com/politics/17885283/detail.html
Quote:

What If Prop. 8 Is Too Close To Call?
Constitutional Amendments Usually Take Effect Right Away

POSTED: 6:43 pm PST November 3, 2008
UPDATED: 7:32 pm PST November 3, 2008

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- People are wondering what happens Wednesday if Proposition 8, a measure that would ban gay marriage in California, is too close to call.

Normally, constitutional amendments take effect immediately. If Prop. 8 passes, marriage licenses to same-sex couples would not be issued.

However, KCRA 3 has learned that even the state's top election officials are not sure what will happen. Here are some of their answers:

Yolo County Clerk-Recorder Freddie Oakley: "The constitutional amendment doesn't have effect until the election is certified. And the Secretary of State has 30 days to certify an election. ... And I'm sure that we'll receive lots of direction promptly. If it looks like Prop. 8 is going to pass, we'll hear from the Secretary of State immediately about what we'll need to do."

California Secretary of State Debra Bowen: "The law says that a measure takes effect immediately. It doesn't say what happens if we don't have results. So that would be a legal question. It's really up in the air. ... I'm telling them to ask their county counsel what to do because my reading of the law is that this kind of situation wasn't anticipated."

Sacramento County's clerk recorder office said it plans to continue same-sex marriage licenses until it hears differently from the state health department.

The state health department had no comment Monday, other than to say that if necessary it would provide guidance to counties.
kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 01:57 pm
You know what's fucked up about this? I heard that the Mormons are the ones pushing for this. What the hell is up with that? Don't they believe in poligamy?
majikal

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:16 pm
@kickycan,
Yes. The Mormons and the Knights of Columbus are both huge supporters of this monetarily and in the press.
kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:18 pm
@majikal,
But why would they care? Freaking mormons are batshit crazy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
I've a friend in Kern County, very politically attuned. I don't read all his emails all the time, but tend to agree with him - well, I'll check his latest missives.

Even, oy vey.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:59 pm
@ossobuco,
For those new to me - I'm not jewish, I'm an ex-irish catholic though present italophile who of course naturally despairs of that government too. Oy vey to me is the easiest reach for the word 'dismay'.
Debra Law

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:11 pm
President Bill Clinton Asks California Voters To Vote NO on Proposition 8

Quote:
SACRAMENTO " In a telephone call to California voters, President Clinton delivers the following message regarding the unfairness of Proposition 8:

"This is Bill Clinton calling to ask you to vote NO on Proposition 8 on Tuesday, November 4th. Proposition 8 would use state law to single out one group of Californians to be treated differently -- discriminating against members of our family, our friends and our co-workers.

"If I know one thing about California, I know that is not what you're about. That is not what America is about. Please vote NO on 8. It's unfair and it's wrong. Thank you."

The calls from President Clinton went to millions of registered California voters overnight.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:27 pm
@kickycan,
That's probably why Citrus Heights has become Ground Zero for the battle between demonstrators.

A new Mormon temple just recently opened up in the neighboring city of Rancho Cordova and Citrus Heights is full of shopping malls, strips and is surrounded by both public and private colleges.

That location where all the demonstrators are hanging out is notorious for demonstrations of political activism and charitible fundraising activities the whole year round. It's our version of the Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.

This is the first time there have been numerous acts of violence and arrests made since I've been living here.
0 Replies

Ferostie

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Separation of church and state.