Internet Browsers/ Anything Good Besides IE or Firefox?

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:37 pm
I have always used Internet Explorer. A while ago, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox, and uninstalled it about a week later. It annoyed me to distraction. It seemed to slow down everything. It pissed me off when I had closed down the computer and subsequently rebooted it, all my various and sundry tabs were still there.

Anyhow, I have been looking around, and I see that there are other browsers that are available. I see that Google has one, "Chrome".

Has anyone used Chrome or any other browser that they really like? I am looking for simplicity and speed. I don't want a program that takes up a great deal of memory. Any input would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 7,579 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:45 pm
@Phoenix32890,
hey Phoenix...

Robert and Nick were talking about Chrome the other day.... will see if I can find the thread.

I got huge problems with both IE and Firefox right now.... well, msn and scripting errors which close both IE and FF down too.... ack...

off to see if I can find t'other thread for ya girl.
Izzie

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 12:47 pm
@Izzie,
http://able2know.org/topic/121776-1

if you type in chrome on the google search box up there^^^^^^ it will show you the threads about chrome which are tagged "chrome".... hope it helps you...
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 01:02 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks, Izzie- It helped, a little, but those guys on the thread write a bit too "techie" for me.
Izzie

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 01:15 pm
@Phoenix32890,
yeah.. me too... wanna ask questions about my msn problem.... but know the answer will be technical... and then I keep asking more questions.... I remember Chulmly tried to help me once... bless him... that's when you need someone on the phone telling you what to do.

I emailed msn and they sent back so many instructions... ending in deleting the lot and going into the operating system and deleting registries and all that... oh heck... that scares the heck out of me.

Hope you can get yours sorted or someone can come on and give you some advice. Maybe Robert/Nick/DrewDad will pop by with something else.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 01:22 pm
@Phoenix32890,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

Google Chrome is an open source, free web browser developed by Google[2] that has about 1% share of browser market.[3] It was first released as a beta version for Microsoft Windows on September 2, 2008. The name is derived from the graphical user interface frame, or "chrome", of web browsers.

Chromium is the open source project behind Google Chrome, and is released under the BSD license.[4] It implements the same feature set, but has a slightly different logo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)

Safari is a proprietary Internet web browser developed by Apple Inc.. First released as a public beta on January 7, 2003,[1] on the company's Mac OS X operating system, it became its default browser beginning with Mac OS X v10.3. It is also the current native browser on the Apple iPhone and iPod touch.

On June 11, 2007, a version of Safari was released for the Microsoft Windows operating system.[2] Windows XP and Windows Vista are supported.

Since the release of Safari, its usage share has been steadily climbing. Safari's marketshare for September 2008 was 6.65%
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:02 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Chrome is the best browser there is hands down. I still use Firefox because I need plugins for the tech work I do but other than that Chrome is better in every way. It's much faster than any other browser.

Incidentally, what you described as irritating is a very nice feature of Firefox. When the program is terminated it can save you session so that you don't lose anything. You can probably turn it off if it bothers you, but it has been very useful to me.

Another very good browser is Opera. Right now I'd rank the major browsers like this:

Chrome
Opera
Firefox (but this is the most useful with plugins)
Safari
IE

Of course if you are used to one, the others will have various annoyances for you and all get the job done just fine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
It pissed me off when I had closed down the computer and subsequently rebooted it, all my various and sundry tabs were still there.

You might want to consider how you're closing down the computer. Sounds like you're not actually logging out of anything before you're turning your machine off.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:13 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix, Firefox is an excellent browser, and it's memory issues have gotten far better then they used to be. I'm curious how long ago you've tried it. At any rate, everybody has their own preferences, and Firefox may not be yours.

Your other options are basically Opera, Safari, or Chrome. If you are on windows I really wouldn't recommend Safari. It was not built as a native windows application, and it shows. It doesn't use the standard windows interface, and thus feels very foreign. I believe it was basically made so windows developers could test applications for the Iphone without needing a mac, as Iphone uses safari. So this rules out Safari.

Opera is a great browser, and is known for innovating. They were the first browser to support tabs, for example. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but something about the browser feels 'different' and 'out of place' to me. However I really can't think of any concrete things to say bad about it. So you may want to give it a try, you may like it.

Finally, there is Google's Chrome. This would be my first choice for you. It is a lightweight browser, and it is extremely fast. Google is great at simplicity, and only showing you what you need at the time. I only have one complaint against Chrome for normal browsing, and that is I hate the way it scrolls. It seems way to fast for me, and I haven't seen a way to slow it down.

Well thats my browser rundown, I hope it helps. I personally use Firefox, mainly for the developer tools. Firefox is by far the most extensible browser, and you can tweak it and add functionality to it to make it fit your needs. However many people don't need all this extra functionality, and I am guessing you may be one of them.
NickFun

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:20 pm
I use Chrome most of the time now. It's super fast. Occasionally there will be glitch here and there but it's my browser of choice.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:26 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I am happy with Opera.

Very happy.

I tried Chrome, and I can get some of why people like it a lot, but I guess I was just used to Opera.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:27 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:
I only have one complaint against Chrome for normal browsing, and that is I hate the way it scrolls. It seems way to fast for me, and I haven't seen a way to slow it down.

I agree with this, and as you know (from our countless browser discussions) I think Opera has scrolling nailed perfectly. It accelerates as you go so it starts out slow and then gets very fast. It's the best scrolling experience in browsers IMO.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:15 pm
@Phoenix32890,
i've been using chrome at work for a few months now -- no complaints...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 06:05 am
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks to everyone who replied. I think that I will download Chrome, and see how it works for me.
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 06:54 am
@Phoenix32890,
weird firefox s amazing IMO, internet explored jocked the tabs etc...

there is chrome, and safari. i havent used chrome

safari is irritating, macs are irritating in general... damn i need to learn how to use a mac.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:45 am
@Phoenix32890,
http://able2know.org/topic/124969-1 Sad
realmyq

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 10:27 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Where is my post yesterday?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:29 am

"Paste and go" is a nifty little google chrome feature...
0 Replies