my mother is in the cardiac care unit

navigator

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:22 am
@DrMom,
Hi everybody, I'm enjoying being with mom here. She is almost fine, medication starts to run out. She stills on some of them though. Mother eats well, but she is afraid of eatin fish! I don't know why.

Life is great here. About my mother no she doesn't have outside doctor, and she doesn't like them anyway.

Still waiting for the CT scan, and no she doesn't have any kidney troubles. I will see what is written on that paper.

Thanks DrMom for your help, I will update you of anything new.
Izzie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:32 am
@navigator,
Very good news Navigator. Hope your mother and you and yours all stay well. Thank you for letting us know. Take care.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:33 am
@firefly,
Thanks firefly for your care, and thanks everybody here. I'm a he, and all that doctor said was that her heart is weak.

Again , I will go through that paper again and see what I will get.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:38 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks ossobuco, you are great. You are right there, I live in the middle east

and it's just that I'm sure you will never no my country. I have a family

situation , my father is hemiplegia and my brother is quadriplegia.

Sorry is somebody doesn't know me.
jespah

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:56 am
@navigator,
Thanks for letting us know how things are going.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
@navigator,
You are welcome. Any time you need to ask something post it here I will try to answer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:09 pm
@DrMom,
Nods to DrMom - so we agree, at least that communication can be a serious problem. I'm assuming it varies from place to place, between cultures, and between individuals.

I'm older, so I was raised in the era of doctor as god - I remember it well. Sort of institutional behavior for its time. That tended to change in the late sixties, but progression is still incomplete.
DrMom

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I hear you Osso, Communication is such an enigmatic thing. Not so hard if you have deep trust and respect as the foundation. I was also born and went to school where Doctors are considered close to God. In my residency ( 2003 ) we were trained to reply to the question, " What do you think is best for me?" as " I am not you and so I cannot decide for you" Being paternalistic is not considered good in this day and age. In trying to be patient centered and still not paternalistic Time is the major constraint. In primary care setting if you are not moving patients every 10 minutes you are not considered efficient. In hospital setting you get 3-4 extra minutes considering the gravity of illness. That time includes documentaion, prescriptions and communication with other staff. What patients are not able to see is that 60-70% of patient care is happening away from the bedside.
I try my best to be available for communication but I can see it takes it's toll on my family and thus indirectly on my well being. So I have decided that for now I will work only to keep my skills intact and I am hoping things will improve and my kids will be older and I will be able to care for my Patients as they deserve to be cared.
0 Replies