what is learning better then working??? (jewish learnings)

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 07:03 pm
plz help y would learning be better and what do u gain out of it and y is it better then working
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,310 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 04:07 am
@viewariel23,
I'm not sure what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it.

Are you talking about scholars being more valued than workers in traditional Jewish thought?

This essentially means that there is an intrinsic value to education, in and of itself, even if it does not lead to material wealth or power. That the life of the mind is more important than mindless striving.

However, that does not mean that work is unimportant. It is that it has its place. One of the reasons why Judaism has a Sabbath at all is to provide a day when work does not get accomplished. Once basics are taken care of (e. g. you are commanded to do things like feed your animals before you rest), you have the day for contemplation and prayer. But for most people, it's just the one day in the week. The remaining six (or, six times the time) are set aside for laboring.

I was taught that these three things are important before all others, and in this order:
Home
School
Synagogue

The home is important because it keeps people together. It is a domain of work, and of women! School is important because it shows us that we can better ourselves. It's (at least traditionally; of course it isn't now) a domain of men. And Synagogue is important for faith, but faith is nothing without a stable home with love and caring, or without education and understanding and sympathy for others.
0 Replies