Small Chested Vietnamese May be Banned From Driving Motorbikes

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:04 am
HANOI, Vietnam " Vietnam is considering banning small-chested drivers from its roads " a proposal that has provoked widespread disbelief in this nation of slight people.

The Ministry of Health recently recommended that people whose chests measure fewer than 28 inches (72 centimeters) would be prohibited from driving motorbikes " as would those who are too short or too thin.

The proposal is part of an exhaustive list of new criteria the ministry has come up with to ensure that Vietnam's drivers are in good health. As news of the plan hit the media this week, Vietnamese expressed incredulity.

"It's ridiculous," said Tran Thi Phuong, 38, a Hanoi insurance agent. "It's absurd."

"The new proposals are very funny, but many Vietnamese people could become the victim of this joke," said Le Quang Minh, 31, a Hanoi stockbroker. "Many Vietnamese women have small chests. I have many friends who won't meet these criteria."

It was unclear how the ministry established its size guidelines or why it believes that small people make bad drivers. An official there declined to comment.

The average Vietnamese man is 5 feet, 4 inches (164 centimeters) tall and weighs 121 pounds (55 kilograms). The average Vietnamese woman is 5 feet, 1 inch (155 centimeters) tall and weighs 103 pounds (47 kilograms).

Statistics on average chest size were unavailable.

The draft, which must be approved by the central government to become law, would also prohibit people from driving motorbikes if they suffer from an array of health conditions like enlarged livers or sinusitis. The rules would cover the vast majority of Vietnam's 20 million motorbikes. It would not apply to drivers of cars or trucks.

Motorbikes account for more than 90 percent of the vehicles on Vietnam's chaotic roads, which are among the world's most dangerous
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,404 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 09:13 pm
Soon, the only person permitted on the roads will be....

http://www.mamievandoren.com/weblog/archives/quangtri_sml.jpg
1971, I was in Quang Tri, Vietnam with the US Army
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:00 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
I stared at that picture, Mr. S., and all I could think of was, "Wow! Wonder where she got that great hat she's holding."
Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:01 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
where she got that great hat she's holding

Obviously a soldier. Those great big jugs? Nature.

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I see they reversed this now. Caught it on the news this morning.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 03:40 pm
@Reyn,
Thanks reyn. I missed it.
0 Replies