Where To Move If Obama Does Not Win

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:08 am
As the date, 11/4/08, grows close I am slowly realizing I will not be able to stay in the US any longer Barak Obama is not elected. Seriously Reaganomics makes me crazy.

So where does an one move too when to US goes to far right. Australia, Canada (Vancouver or Montreal), the UK. If you felt you had to leave the US what country would you choose and why?

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:13 am
@TilleyWink,
Why don't you move to the country you were born in? Or pretty much any European country? France is nice this time of year.
TilleyWink

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:21 am
@Ticomaya,
I was born in the United States.

I'm guessing you live close to Ft. Huchuca, AZ.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:29 am
@TilleyWink,
TilleyWink wrote:
I was born in the United States.

Really? You don't sound like an American citizen.
TilleyWink

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:40 am
@Ticomaya,
What does an American citizen sound like? I even live in the Govenator's state!
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:47 am
@TilleyWink,
Sounds like a perfect place for you.

I'm not a big fan of leftists who whine about wanting to leave America. Why didn't you head North when Kerry lost?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:58 am
@TilleyWink,
I talk about leaving in some kind of despair language, a kind of flail, but I wouldn't. Well, we'll see. Maybe Mexico will have to put up a fence...

As it is, I couldn't leave for practical reasons.

In the not so far away past, I could easily envision living in other places, but whenever I've thought of that, not for political reasons, I've always thought of it as my being multiply connected, not dropping the US. In my more far away past, when I could have conceivably made that kind of jump, I had ties here that precluded really considering that.

My federal government is endlessly irritating and sometimes.. unconscionable. I'm still engaged. If McCain/Palin win, I'll be in despond's slough, but I'll have company.

0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:59 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of leftists who whine about wanting to leave America

Neither am I but I am really tired of right wing fascists.
saab

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 02:05 am
@TilleyWink,
Are you going to work in that other country?
Then you have to get a work permit and you have to have a visa and you have to speak the language. Which foreign language are you fluent in?
Are you going to live off your fortune?
Then you`ll find out there are lots of countries which have high taxes and there will not be lots left over.
If you find your perfect liberal country - you´ll find out that is not perfect either.
Stay where you are and take those 4 or 8 years and wait for the next chance and during that time you do your best to improve your own country in small ways which is possible for you.
The grass is not greener on the other side. It just looks like it.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:45 am
@TilleyWink,
If you simply want the kind of government which Oinkbama, Soros, Ayers, Dohrn, Wright et. al. would bring to America, you have several options including Haiti, "Zimbabwe", North Korea, Iran, the Gaza strip, and a couple of others.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@gungasnake,
probably just doesn't want to live in a country with oinkkkasnakkke crazies....who don't represent conservatism or republicans but just extreme dumbfucks....there are a few here I could live in a country run by conservatives without too much complaint...but the people masking as repubs and conservatives are just plain ******* crazy I've come to believe. Sara Palin towards the top along with Cheney et al.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 11:39 am
@TilleyWink,
Quote:
So where does an one move too when to US goes to far right. Australia, Canada (Vancouver or Montreal), the UK. If you felt you had to leave the US what country would you choose and why?

Any one feel like answering or discussing my actual question?
eoe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:14 pm
@TilleyWink,
We've (husband, stepkids, brother, a few cousins) kicked around the idea of Canada. Montreal. Just for the next four years. Come back when the country returns to it's senses.
JTT

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
@TilleyWink,
Quote:
Neither am I but I am really tired of right wing fascists.

Wherever you moved, TilleyWink, you'd still have to deal with the fascists around here. Tico isn't going anywhere.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:36 pm
@TilleyWink,
Liberals are always claiming that they love America. I have always suspected that in most cases, this was a mere polemic device, rather than an actual feeling, and this thread strongly reinforces that belief. Anyone who would abandon his country merely because he has to wait for the next election to try again to get his candidates in, cannot love it much.
JTT

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I have always suspected that in most cases, this was a mere polemic device, rather than an actual feeling, and this thread strongly reinforces that belief.

You give us a clear picture as to how your wacky ideas get set in that empty head of yours.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:51 pm
Let's all move to Amsterdam then...
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:38 pm
@TilleyWink,
I think you're being overly dramatic, Tilley. And it's a clear indication of just how badly the American zeitgeist has deteriorated under the yoke of eight years of Bush/Cheney misadministration. If Obama should lose the election (and at the moment it looks like it's his to lose) the only reason to panic would be the possibility of McCain not surviving his term in office. The thought of Palin at the helm, I admit, is a nightmare scenario. To be truthful, if it turns out we have to have another Republican president, I would much rather have it be McCain than half a dozen other wannabes I can think of. I was quite concerned, when he got the GOP nod, that here, at least, was a man of stature who could be a threat to Obama. I've lived with the Bush family of the Cosa Nostra in the White House; I can certainly weather McCain who, if nothing else, seems to be a forthright person.

But if you're dead set on moving, Tilley, I would suggest you take a look at Bangkok, Thailand. I have a friend who moved there more than a year ago (not at all for political reasons) and he absolutely raves about living conditions there.
RexRed

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 01:45 pm
You could all move to Saddam's old hole in the ground... Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 02:58 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
You don't sound like an American citizen.

Sass ze kuy vizz ze Ahnuld afatar. Hasta la fista, Paby.
0 Replies