Man created the gods, why do we believe God created man?

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:53 am
@spendius,
Based on my own experience and testimony I have heard from others and/or read, I think most people from Augustine to St. Francis of Assisi to Martin Luther or anybody in modern times most likely don't have their first realization of experience of God while participating in church rituals. The rituals are not necessarily unhelpful nor unimportant and it isn't that it can't happen there. But I think it usually doesn't.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Based on my own experience and testimony I have heard from others and/or read, I think most people from Augustine to St. Francis of Assisi to Martin Luther or anybody in modern times most likely don't have their first realization of experience of God while participating in church rituals. The rituals are not necessarily unhelpful nor unimportant and it isn't that it can't happen there. But I think it usually doesn't.

That's why the Quakers choose not to have priests.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
Well there was a bit more to it than that. It is interest studying Quaker history though. The first generation of Quakers found deep comfort and meaning in the relationship with God that they experienced. But even the Quakers found that just teaching their beliefs and performing their ritual practices did not necessarily transfer the experience to the next generation and many defected which could explain why the Quakers, though they have much to commend them, never became a major denomination.
Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:29 am
@Foxfyre,
Fox

you say you have experienced God and therefore God exists. Can you describe that experience? If I said I have experienced eoimu wpoic and therefore eoimu wpoic is real, would that be good enough for you?
Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:09 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

Fox

you say you have experienced God and therefore God exists. Can you describe that experience? If I said I have experienced eoimu wpoic and therefore eoimu wpoic is real, would that be good enough for you?
awaiting an answer fox
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 06:35 pm

I'd like to know more about this, too.
How can man experience God? I'd say it was impossible, from various standpoints.
But many well-meaning people disagree with me.
spendius

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
@McTag,
It's a difficult matter to explain Mac.

Let's put it this way--Women experience Gods. Men experience Goddesses.

Not all of them of course. Theologian and philosophers types mainly.

I think scientists experience themselves.
McTag

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 04:39 pm
@spendius,

I don't think Steve's going to be able to tempt Foxy out of her hole. Shame, that.

To think, there are countless millions of religious nutters, I should be glad they're not all on here bearing witness or whatever it is they do.
Perhaps they recognise stony ground when they see it.
spendius

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 05:04 pm
@McTag,
Without them Mac "here" wouldn't be here for you to have your say.
Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 07:05 am
@spendius,
What irritates me about this whole question of religion, is that one has to put rational thinking into suspended animation and afford the most preposterous ideas due respect because they come under the special category of religion.

In no other field of study or philosophy is such sloppy thinking tolerated.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 09:18 am
@Steve 41oo,
Quote:
What irritates me about this whole question of religion, is that one has to put rational thinking into suspended animation and afford the most preposterous ideas due respect because they come under the special category of religion.

That's a good point. Have you noticed that people speak about Faith the same way they speak about Courage and Altruism, as though Faith were a virtue instead of a cessation of reasoning.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 11:58 am
@Steve 41oo,
I think you will find Steve that if you were to take the time to make a close study of Spengler's Nature--Knowledge essay, which is but about 40 pages and will be easily available at your local free library, it will help you realise that it is you who have rational thinking in suspended animation and are prone to the preposterous idea that your previous reading has equipped you to comment publicly on these matters. You don't even say what rational thinking actually is.

If it takes you a lot longer to read those 40 pages than you usually give to any other 40 pages then you needn't worry because that is quite normal. There is one born every minute who would have that problem.

If you find any faults in the essay I would be very glad if you would explain them to me.

Basically, you are irritated with being a megalopolitan rather than with the question of religion.

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:17 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
If you find any faults in the essay I would be very glad if you would explain them to me.
That sounds like a challenge Spend. I will go down to my free library and get a copy and rip it to pieces. I can do this, being a member.

0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 10:18 am
Twisted Sermons
A song of social commentary regarding Prosperity Christianity.

I believe that Prosperity Christianity is a perversion of everything that religion is supposed to stand for.

Prosperity Christianity is a disgusting doctrine designed to make it's pitch-men/women rich.

Lending the stamp of righteousness to greed and avarice.

To quote John Kenneth Galbraith:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdOHrl7zCBA
0 Replies

midnightcowboy

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:17 pm
@Steve 41oo,
WE don't believe that. THEY do. THEM, over there, not US, here.
0 Replies