Indoctrination not taking place?

Baldimo

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:08 am
Quote:
School Field Trip to Teacher's Lesbian Wedding Sparks Controversy

First-graders in San Francisco took a field trip to City Hall to celebrate the marriage of their lesbian teacher on Friday, but opponents of same-sex marriage in the state say the field trip was an attempt to “indoctrinate” the students, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The field trip was suggested by a parent at the Creative Arts Charter School, and the school said the trip, where students tossed rose petals on their teacher and her wife as they left City Hall, was academically relevant.

"It really is what we call a teachable moment," said Liz Jaroslow, the school’s interim director, according to the newspaper. She said same-sex marriage had historic significance. "I think I'm well within the parameters."

California will vote on Nov. 4 on Proposition 8 which seeks to ban same-sex marriage in the state, and supporters of the measure say the field trip shows that allowing same-sex marriage will mean it’s taught to school children, the newspaper said.

"It's just utterly unreasonable that a public school field trip would be to a same-sex wedding," said Chip White, press secretary for the Yes on 8 campaign, told the Chronicle. "This is overt indoctrination of children who are too young to have an understanding of its purpose."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,436961,00.html

Does anything else need to be said. This was uncalled for and I hope the parents take action. I wouldn't support a straight teacher taking the students on a field trip to her wedding either. There is nothing teachable to 1st graders about a same sex wedding or about weddings period. I have children that have already been through 1st grade and I don't recall marriage being part of the class.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,363 • Replies: 31
No top replies

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:33 am
@Baldimo,
It shouldn't be part of the curriculum. I am sure the parents did sign something for the kids to be able to go though. They would have had to have a permission slip. I am sure the parents of the ones that went were okay with it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Does anything else need to be said. This was uncalled for and I hope the parents take action. I wouldn't support a straight teacher taking the students on a field trip to her wedding either. There is nothing teachable to 1st graders about a same sex wedding or about weddings period. I have children that have already been through 1st grade and I don't recall marriage being part of the class.

Coming from a more conservative school system: it's a century old (sic!) tradition here that pupils attend the wedding services/cermonies of their teacher(s).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 12:32 pm
@mismi,
Why shouldn't it be part of the curriculum?

The civil rights movement is part of the curriculum. The struggle to get women the vote is part of the curriculum.

This is history in the making, why should students be shielded from it? The struggle to win gay marriage rights will certainly be part of the curriculum for the children of these current children.

Gay marriage is now a legal institution in three states. Conservatives are going to have to accept this.

Baldimo

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 12:51 pm
@ebrown p,
We will see if it holds after the votes are counted in CA. I could see it being part of the curriculum but for 1st graders? Maybe for the older kids even into middle school but for anyone younger it is not really the proper place. Your stretching for things ebrown. I don't know about your kids, but my kids didn't cover the civil rights movement in 1st grade. They learned who MLK was but that was it.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:52 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo, do you understand the difference between marriage and sex?

A first grade student is fully ready to understand marriage. They get family and love without having to know anything about sex. A married couple loves each other and constitutes a family no matter what gender the participants.

Don't confuse marriage, love and family with your personal hangups about sex.

Kids understand marriage just fine. There is no reason to hide it from them.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:54 pm
@Baldimo,
I wonder who would be so quick to defend this if she had taken the kids to see her get married to a guy in a devoutly Christian or Jewish ceremony?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I wonder who would be so quick to defend this teacher if she had taken the kids to see her get married to a guy in a devoutly Christian or Jewish ceremony?

Since you obviously missed my response, here it is again:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Coming from a more conservative school system: it's a century old (sic!) tradition here that pupils attend the wedding services/cermonies of their teacher(s).

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It isn't common in the USA, Walter, but duly noted is that you are one who doesn't have a problem with it.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@Foxfyre,
On the principle of "Separation of Marriage and State?"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Quote:
School Field Trip to Teacher's Lesbian Wedding Sparks Controversy

I wish schools would stick to teaching their friggin classes, especially in first grade. First graders need to learn English, Math, Science, History and PhysEd. Save the class in Cultural Behaviors for college, when indoctrination can no longer be considered an issue.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:07 pm
@Foxfyre,
Well, we were always pleased of a young teacher got married and we didn't have classes Very Happy

(And when we were older [=16], it was most pleasant to be invited at the wedding-eve party as well.)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:08 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I wonder who would be so quick to defend this if she had taken the kids to see her get married to a guy in a devoutly Christian or Jewish ceremony?

Baldimo already told you he would object.

Walter wouldn't object.

Is it working out the way you'd anticipated?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
From the website of a local primary school

http://i33.tinypic.com/15pmr5x.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Would it have happened if there were two gents or two gals instead of one of each?
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Baldimo already told you he would object.

Walter wouldn't object.

Is it working out the way you'd anticipated?

Very difficult to say since it was a real question and I didn't bring any expectations to it.

How about you? Any problem either way?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:36 pm
@Foxfyre,
Since most weddings are on weekends here, you wouldn't find many takers, but I wouldn't have a problem in either case.

I think it's useful for children to be exposed to cultures and beliefs not their own - and the earlier the better. When I was in public school 40 -45 years ago, we were taken on field trips to the religious buildings for all faiths in my small hometown. We were given a basic understanding of all world religions as a matter of course - but in the social sciences classroom setting, not in religious classes. I think open-mindedness should be encouraged.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:48 pm
@ebrown p,
Sure I understand the difference. I'm married and I don't get to have sex. Does that seal the understanding issue?

When it comes to children they don't understand either. They know mommy and daddy are married, they know grandpa and grandma are married but what they don't understand is how aunt Kim and aunt Cheryl can get married. At their age they get confused and require an explanation of what is going on. I know already been there with Aunt Kim and Aunt Cheryl, hence the use of these names.

You can say don't get hung up about the sex issue of marriage but it is the main component of the marriage issue when it comes to same sex marriage. If it wasn't for the sexual issue then gays could marry hetro people. But it comes down to sex and not just love. Homosexuality comes down to the physical attraction between two men or two women. Don't say it doesn't because it does. Sex is the key issue between hertosexuals and homosexuals. Once again if it were only a feeling then we wouldn't be at odds with marriage. It is sex plain and simple.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:50 pm
@Baldimo,
Marriage is simply about sex? Interesting view.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Not simply but it does come into play does it not? You married ehbeth? If you are do you and your spouse have sex? I'm willing to bet you do or did. Would you have married if there wasn't a sexual attraction?
0 Replies