Favorite Hotdog Toppings

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:11 am
Pretty self explanatory. Just say what you like on your hot dog.

Me: Dijon Mustard and Salsa

Story: This isn't some sort of gourmet thing, I used to be a ketchup and mustard guy, but one day I was out of both but had the above, I thought to myself that maybe they'd work and it ended up being awesome. Same applies for me with brats too.

T
K
O

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:21 am
@Diest TKO,
sweet hotchili (sweet chili is made with zero cumin)and chopped raw oniony onions. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 01:22 am
@Diest TKO,
I had breakfast in an out of the way little cafe in Tucumcari, NM. I always kill the eggs with Tabasco sauce. It wasn't that big a cafe, so they suggested salsa. It worked quite well.

Still, for hot dogs, it's the plain yellow mustard, like French's. It is improved with a bite of hot chili pepper before eating. By the way, while I'm happy that my hot dogs answer to a higher authority, can somebody explain why they come seven to a package? I mean, I don't recall seeing buns with seven in a package.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:12 am
@Diest TKO,
When I was a teen I used to load 'em up with chili, onions and mustard-- they were served on the whitest of white flour buns.

Looking back-- I never liked the hotdog as much as the toppings. I haven't had one in years. Then again, I used to love Doritos too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:14 am
@Diest TKO,
Mustard and sauerkraut.
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:21 am
@Diest TKO,
Nothing. Not even bread. Just warm it up and give it to me.

ketchup is for eggs...
cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:23 am
@shewolfnm,
Where do you want it?
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:27 am
@cjhsa,
Laughing

i set myself up for that one..
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:13 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Mustard and sauerkraut.

HONEY mustard and sauerkraut.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:04 am
Yellow mustard and pickle relish. On bread; no fancy bun needed.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:05 am
@DrewDad,
I hate relish.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:07 am
@dyslexia,
Bite me.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:09 am
Catsup and onions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:09 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Bite me.
Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:41 am
@Diest TKO,
It depends. If I'm at an old-skool auction with some local farmer steaming the dogs, just give me hot dog relish. Ddo you have different relishes too? - most groceries here carry sweet relish, hot dog relish, hamburg relish, dill relish and then you can find other specialty relishes.

If I'm at a street-meat cart (which Toronto is famous/infamous for - there can be 4 to a corner in the business district) and having an all-beef dog, I want mustard, sauerkraut, ketchup, and fried onions - in that order.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:47 am
I do like how they make 'em here in the Chizzy-tizzy (Chicago, Illinois). With sliced tomatoes (no ketchup) mustard, neon relish, green peppers, onions, pickles, etc.

Having been born and raised in Mil-town (Milwaukee, Wisconsin), I have a preference for Klement's encased meats. Best stadium bratwurst? At Miller Park, with Secret Stadium Sauce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Stadium_Sauce

You know what? Just give me an IV drip of that ****. I want that **** in my veins, now.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:55 am
@Gargamel,
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2477/964/1600/13%20dog%20cart.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2477/964/1600/12%20hotdogs.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2477/964/1600/10%20hotdog%20fan.jpg
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:12 am
Although I'm a southern Bear... I still like mine simple...ketchup, mustard, relish (sweet or hot dog) onions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:51 am
@ehBeth,
From a recent chowhound e-letter

Quote:
The Chili Dog Gets a Seoul-Style Spin

New York Hotdog & Coffee is not for all-American hot dog purists. This first U.S. outpost of a Korean chain has been open just a couple of weeks; here, you can get a standard Sabrett frank topped with chopped bulgogi (grilled marinated beef).

“I’m hooked!” declares guttergourmet, who finds the spicy/sweet bulgogi dog sublime. He even compares it to the storied Ben’s Chili Bowl in Washington DC, whose chili dog he proclaims America’s best (though other Chowhounds’ opinions, it must be said, are not as high on Ben’s). Other toppings include curry sauce, chopped grilled chicken (over a chicken frank), and the more familiar chili, relish, and cheese. These are big dogs, advises captkenjeroo, who had trouble putting away two of them.

Also on the menu: “salad buns” (egg, chicken, or other salads on a hot dog bun), waffles with sweet toppings, and coffee and tea drinks.

New York Hotdog & Coffee [Greenwich Village]
245 Bleecker Street (near Leroy Street), Manhattan
917-388-2608

ya know, there is something kinda special about a chili cheese dog. I think I'd like to try a bulgogi-topped dog.
mismi

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
Chili is great. Or I like mustard and relish.
0 Replies