Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Can you explain why it's "idiotic?"

With pleasure.

Here is the idiotic post.

Quote:
You've "proven" to me that your reading of media has not taught you much of anything.

It is idiotic because it makes no sense. How can I have possibly proven (with our without quotes) to you that my reading of the media has not taught me much of anything? Because I don't agree with you?

If you can show that the media I have read has stated A=B and I am arguing that A=&, then perhaps you have an argument, but you can't. All you can do is say that I am wrong because I don't agree with you.

Remember that our back-and-forth on this thread was prompted by the fact that you had never read Charlie Brooker's Guardian column that, rather clearly, called for the assassination of George W. Bush.

I, according to you, was a "dork" for not realizing that you never read the Guardian or any paper that might quote it.

A simple "I never saw this reference," would have sufficed, but you had to respond in a way that made you feel as if you covered your ignorance and dealt me a blow.

Apparently, CI, you are one of the great unwashed Liberals, and there is nothing wrong with that. It might even be admirable if you didn't take your marching orders from Liberal blogs. No one who reads your posts can possibly believe that your only source of information is your local newspaper. Unless, of course, you are relying on the posts of folks like JTT and Cyclo to inform you.

Quote:
You are the Tex Cobb of A2K.
A private joke?

Not if you have ever followed boxing or the movies.

You didn't get it. Not a surprise, but not a sin either.

Google "Tex Cobb" and you will find that he was a heavyweight prizefighter who made a name, if not a fortune, for himself, by getting in a ring with superior fighters and letting them beat the hell out of him for 10 or more rounds.

Tex is actually a bright guy, but his greatest physical talent is that he will not be rendered unconscious even if he is hit with a wrecking ball.

He never actually hurt any of his quality opponents and though they all beat his face into a bloody pulp, he kept coming back for more.

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think you can convert your scar tissue into a Hollywood career.
Another private joke?

Not quite, but I guess if you know nothing about Cobb it may seem to be so.

Quote:
You know, if you can't elevate your retorts beyond the Middle School level, it's OK to post nothing.
Please explain why? Your saying so only shows your ignorance. At the very least, you should offer your opinion why it's "nothing."

I've already explained why it was idiotic, and I never said it was "nothing."

Even an idiotic comment is something, and yet you, obviously misread, what I wrote and demand that I explain what I mean about your mistaken understanding. That's pretty befuddled, if not idiotic.

BTW - I think you need to look up "ignorance" in the dictionary. It may make you feel good to use it in your retorts but it's laughable when you use it incorrectly. Your not knowing who Tex Cobb is and how he made it in Hollywood is ignorance. It may not be significant ignorance, but it's ignorance none-the-less.

Quote:
We might believe your Grandma died and you couldn't find the time to respond.
Another private joke?

No, not really, but since you were so oblivious to the prior comments, I don't think it's worthwhile explaining this one to you.

Quote:
You do understand what a strawman, adhominem, and blather is, don't you?

Well, I do understand that you Liberals cry "strawman" at the drop of the hat, but I don't see the presence of one here, and I do understand ad hominem since it is directed towards me in A2K on a daily basis - e.g. "What a dork!"
Finally, I more than understand what blather is because I'm also subjected to it daily on A2K, however I must admit that your posts never even rise to blather.

Quote:
You belong in a mental institution - as someone already suggested.

See---ad hominem! I recognized it, did you?

It is amusing and sad that when faced with an insult concerning your sophomoric attacks, you respond with one even more sophomoric

"You belong in a mental institution."

Why did I ever think you were something other than a buffoon?

How did you ever come up with your nome de plume?

Please explain its meaning as I'm sure your response will be hilarious.
(An inside joke?)

JTT

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Finn actually wrote:
Tex is actually a bright guy, but his greatest physical talent is that he will not be rendered unconscious even if he is hit with a wrecking ball.

He never actually hurt any of his quality opponents and though they all beat his face into a bloody pulp, he kept coming back for more.

[No comment needed]
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
How did you ever come up with your nome de plume?

How would you rate this, Finn?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:45 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Laughing

No, I copied off one of the many "Jack Bauer" sites.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn initially wrote: You know, if you can't elevate your retorts beyond the Middle School level, it's OK to post nothing.

CI responded: Please explain why? Your saying so only shows your ignorance. At the very least, you should offer your opinion why it's "nothing."

Finn then responded: BTW - I think you need to look up "ignorance" in the dictionary. It may make you feel good to use it in your retorts but it's laughable when you use it incorrectly. Your not knowing who Tex Cobb is and how he made it in Hollywood is ignorance. It may not be significant ignorance, but it's ignorance none-the-less.

Ignorance, as defined by Merriam Webster, is : the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness.

There is the specific sense, as you've noted above, Finn, but CI's use of ignorance is a common and perfectly natural use of the word.

M-W:
ignorant may imply a general condition or it may apply to lack of knowledge or awareness of a particular thing <an ignorant fool> <ignorant of nuclear physics>

I'd say that CI was using it in the former sense; he was noting your ignorance as a general condition.

I think you owe CI and the millions upon millions of people who use ignorance in the completely natural and correct manner that he used it, an apology.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:39 pm
@JTT,
I really don't need an apology, but it would be nice if he would respond to my request for an opinion about "nothing."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 08:16 am
McCain is going to bring the issue up tonight.

Quote:
The bad poll news heightened the debate stakes for McCain, who unveiled a package of measures on Tuesday to help investors, particularly older Americans, who have seen their retirement savings decimated by stock market losses.

But McCain also said he was not finished talking about Obama's service on a community board in Chicago with former 1960s radical William Ayers. The Arizona senator said he was likely to talk about Ayers during the debate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081015/pl_nm/us_usa_politics_93

I imagine Obama will be ready for him.
Quote:

Groundless, False, Dubious

We find McCain's accusation that Obama "lied" to be groundless. It is true that recently released records show half a dozen or so more meetings between the two men than were previously known, but Obama never denied working with Ayers.

Other claims are seriously misleading. The education project described in the Web ad, far from being "radical," had the support of the Republican governor and was run by a board that included prominent local leaders, including one Republican who has donated $1,500 to McCain's campaign this year. The project is described by Education Week as reflecting "mainstream thinking" about school reform.

Despite the newly released records, there's still no evidence of a deep or strong "friendship" with Ayers, a former radical anti-war protester whose actions in the 1960s and '70s Obama has called "detestable" and "despicable."

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/he_lied_about_bill_ayers.html

Quote:
Smear groups and now a desperate McCain campaign are trying to connect Barack to William Ayers using age-old guilt by association techniques. Here’s the truth: the smear associating Barack to Ayers is “phony,” “tenuous,” " even “exaggerated at best if not outright false.”

William Ayers is a professor of education at the University of Illinois at Chicago, with whom Barack served on the board of an education-reform organization in the mid-1990’s. According to the Associated Press, they are not close: “No evidence shows they were “pals” or even close when they worked on community boards years ago …”

Smear groups and the McCain campaign are trying to connect Obama to acts Ayers committed 40 years ago " when Barack was just eight years old. Here’s what the New York Times reported on the connection:

But the two men do not appear to have been close. Nor has Mr. Obama ever expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers, whom he has called “somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8.”

Barack has publicly denounced Ayers’ radical actions from the 1960’s:

Senator Obama strongly condemns the violent actions of the Weathermen group, as he does all acts of violence. But he was an eight-year-old child when Ayers and the Weathermen were active, and any attempt to connect Obama with events of almost forty years ago is ridiculous.

Fight back with the truth: make sure anyone who has seen this smear also sees this page.

A list of articles at the source down below.

http://fightthesmears.com/articles/22/AyersSmear
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:32 am
@revel,
Frankly, based on what I've heard, this is a non-issue, but I also believe that if McCain had some parallel association, say he was pals with a former high ranking KKK member, liberals would be trumpeting it from one end of the country to the other.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:36 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Frankly, based on what I've heard, this is a non-issue, but I also believe that if McCain had some parallel association, say he was pals with a former high ranking KKK member, liberals would be trumpeting it from one end of the country to the other.

Really? Sort of like his association with Frank Keating?

How about G. Gordon Liddy?

Obama never brings either one of those up, so don't give us that crap.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:07 am
@Brandon9000,
Only a conservative would dream up such a ridiculous comparison. "KKK?" ROFLMAO
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It's not a valid comparison because neither Governor Keating, nor even Liddy are former career criminals like Ayers or former officers of the KKK. Keating and Liddy are at a lower "badness level." If McCain were associating with someone whose past was as bad, there would be unending noise about it from the left. But, as I said, I'm not sure it ought to have been a campaign issue.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It's not a valid comparison because neither Governor Keating, nor even Liddy are former career criminals like Ayers or former officers of the KKK. Keating and Liddy are at a lower "badness level." If McCain were associating with someone whose past was as bad, there would be unending noise about it from the left. But, as I said, I'm not sure it ought to have been a campaign issue.

What a crock of ****. Keating was part of the scandal that lead to thousands losing their retirement savings and Liddy was a cold-blooded son of a bitch. Both were bad enough and Obama has the decency to leave the **** in the past. McCain and the Republicans, well. Not so much.

Just to make you happy, though:

http://www.slate.com/id/2202183/

McCain has dealt with plenty of terrorists and murders in his time.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'd also would like to know how many people (Americans) Ayers killed, and how many he was charged with killing?

I could name a few American domestic terrorists who were responsible for killing Americans, but I can't find the name of Ayers on any list.

McVeigh, the Unibomber - Theodore John Kaczynski, that scientist who sent sent anthrax to Americans, Bruce Ivens.

How many did Ayer's kill?
JTT

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 08:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Brandon wrote:

It's not a valid comparison because neither Governor Keating,

Was Keating ever a governor?
snood

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:58 am
@JTT,
Love this picture...

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/443/slide_443_10841_large.jpg
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Liddy tried to help undermine the electoral process and it was a "lower badness level?"

I see hypocrisy in your attempt to absolve Liddy of his crimes since they go to the very heart of the US democracy.
revel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:31 am
@parados,
Quote:
How close are McCain and Liddy? At least as close as Obama and Ayers appear to be. In 1998, Liddy's home was the site of a McCain fundraiser. Over the years, he has made at least four contributions totaling $5,000 to the senator's campaigns -- including $1,000 this year.

Last November, McCain went on his radio show. Liddy greeted him as "an old friend," and McCain sounded like one. "I'm proud of you, I'm proud of your family," he gushed. "It's always a pleasure for me to come on your program, Gordon, and congratulations on your continued success and adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great."

Which principles would those be? The ones that told Liddy it was fine to break into the office of the Democratic National Committee to plant bugs and photograph documents? The ones that made him propose to kidnap anti-war activists so they couldn't disrupt the 1972 Republican National Convention? The ones that inspired him to plan the murder (never carried out) of an unfriendly newspaper columnist?

Liddy was in the thick of the biggest political scandal in American history -- and one of the greatest threats to the rule of law. He has said he has no regrets about what he did, insisting that he went to jail as "a prisoner of war."

All this may sound like ancient history. But it's from the same era as the bombings Ayers helped carry out as a member of the Weather Underground. And Liddy's penchant for extreme solutions has not abated.

In 1994, after the disastrous federal raid on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, he gave some advice to his listeners: "Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests. ... Kill the sons of bitches."

He later backed off, saying he meant merely that people should defend themselves if federal agents came with guns blazing. But his amended guidance was not exactly conciliatory: Liddy also said he should have recommended shots to the groin instead of the head. If that wasn't enough to inflame any nut cases, he mentioned labeling targets "Bill" and "Hillary" when he practiced shooting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/oped/chi-oped0504chapmanmay04,0,3136852.column

On the other hand Ayers is now a college professor in Chicago Illinois and on school boards and school reform committees with republicans and democrats alike. Obama has said he condemned the actions Ayers committed when he was a member of the Weather Underground when Obama was eight years old. Further more the actions which Ayers said he wished he did more were not more bombings but not doing more to stop the war.

Quote:
Much of the controversy about Ayers during the decade since 2000 stems from an interview he gave to The New York Times on the occasion of the memoir's publication.[20] The reporter quoted him as saying "I don't regret setting bombs" and "I feel we didn't do enough", and, when asked if he would "do it all again," as saying "I don't want to discount the possibility."[15] Ayers has not denied the quotes, but he protested the interviewer's characterizations in a Letter to the Editor published September 15, 2001: "This is not a question of being misunderstood or 'taken out of context', but of deliberate distortion."[21]

In the ensuing years, Ayers has repeatedly avowed that when he said he had "no regrets" and that "we didn't do enough" he was speaking only in reference to his efforts to stop the United States from waging the Vietnam War, efforts which he has described as ". . . inadequate [as] the war dragged on for a decade."[22] Ayers has maintained that the two statements were not intended to imply a wish they had set more bombs.[22][23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ayers#Statements_made_in_2001

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:24 pm
@revel,
Fact will not change the minds of conservatives who continue with their lies and innuendos, and that includes McCain and Palin.
JTT

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Yesterday, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights released its scorecard for the 110th Congress, assessing how lawmakers voted on civil rights issues. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) received a civil rights score of 22 percent; Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) received a 100 percent.

http://thinkprogress.org/

Funny that.
JTT

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:45 pm
And a liar.

Quote:
In 2000, McCain ‘assured’ Gary Bauer that he would ‘appoint pro-life judges.’»

In the debate last night, moderator Bob Schieffer asked Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) if he could “ever nominate someone to the Supreme Court who disagrees” with him on Roe v. Wade. McCain replied that he had never “imposed a litmus test on any nominee to the court.” “That’s not appropriate to do,” said McCain.

Watch it:

But, as Ezra Klein points out, it has been previously reported that McCain assured conservative activist Gary Bauer in 2000 that he “would appoint pro-life judges“:

Somewhat surprisingly, McCain had the support of Gary Bauer, the social conservative, who had dropped out of the race by that time. “I wanted a commitment from either George Bush or John McCain that if elected he would appoint pro-life judges to the Supreme Court,” Bauer told me. “Bush said he had no litmus test, and his judges would be strict constructionists. But McCain, in private, assured me he would appoint pro-life judges.”

Klein writes that if Bauer’s claim is true, “it seems to me like a fairly big deal that McCain is publicly forswearing litmus tests but privately assuring leaders of the Christian Right that he’ll have them.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/16/mccain-bauer-litmus/

0 Replies