Who do you trust to pick the right justices?

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:40 am
"Choosing the right justices is critical for America," the ad states. "We don't know who Barack Obama would choose, but we know this: He chose as one of his first financial backers a slum lord now convicted on 16 counts of corruption." Video Watch how the high court could come a campaign issue ยป

"Everything is at stake in this election when it comes to the Supreme Court," said Wendy Long, chief counsel of the Judicial Confirmation Network. "It's been kind of a sleeper issue with so many other issues coming to the forefront. But this train is leaving the station, and it's a very fast and powerful train, and once the election's over, it's going to be gone."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/03/supreme.court.politics/index.html

All you partisans are overlooking this most important issue regarding this election. In my view, besides CIC, this is the President most important function.

I would never trust this to Obama. Just the thought of him even considering someone for the USSC is frightening.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,899 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:46 am
@Woiyo9,
Yes, but you have bad judgment. So I think Obama is the way to go on this.

A non-sequitur by a right-wing group is not indicative of a problem with Obama's ability to nominate judges.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:46 am
@Woiyo9,
well, actually I don't trust either McCain or Obama to select supreme court judges as I don't believe either one would nominate liberal judges.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@dyslexia,
I agree with dys, but that's because I'm not sure what Obama will do about most of the important issues of our day.

The only conclusion I was able to arrive at about this election is that Obama is preferable over McCain and Palin by a huge margin.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:56 am
I DON'T trust McCain/Palin. On this issue alone, I'm casting my vote for Obama/Biden.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 10:59 am
@Woiyo9,
This very question is one of the key reasons that Obama will win this election so easily.

Many of us Americans are terrified of what a Conservative court controlled by Bush-McCain appointees would do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:04 am
@ebrown p,
I'm not so sure about your claim that this is the key reason for an Obama win.

Supreme Court nominations are probably one of the least understood issues of any election. Although most people see our economy and the Iraq War as the primary ones, most were asleep until it started to hit their own pockets.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:31 am
@Debra Law,
Why?
Debra Law

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:38 am
@Woiyo9,
Because, as you noted in your opening post, "Choosing the right justices is critical for America."
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:55 am
@Debra Law,
So what kind of justices do you think Obama will select based upon his track record of voting for Justices in the past?
Debra Law

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:12 pm
@Woiyo9,
Gosh. You're asking my opinion?

In your opening post, you favorably quoted an ad that stated, "We don't know who Barack Obama would choose, but we know this: He chose as one of his first financial backers a slum lord now convicted on 16 counts of corruption." Then you declared, "I would never trust this to Obama. Just the thought of him even considering someone for the USSC is frightening."

Because YOU are relying on a SMEAR ad to declare your mistrust of Obama, I find YOUR judgment to be impaired. Thus, the logical thing to do is to vote the exact opposite of the way YOU vote.

Accordingly, I would never trust the selection of SC justices to McCain. Just the thought of McCain even considering someone for the USSC is frightening. Therefore, I must vote for Obama.
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 12:42 pm
@Debra Law,
"Let's start with McCain: He has pledged to nominate judges like Bush's two appointees, John Roberts and Samuel Alito, who "understand that there are clear limits to the scope of judicial power, and clear limits to the scope of federal power." So far, so good. No reasonable person would deny that limited federal government and separation of powers were two of the Framers' foundational principles"

"Obama has an entirely different perspective. His spokesman, Tommy Vietor, stated that Obama "has always believed that our courts should stand up for social and economic justice." Indeed, Obama has said he wants justices who have "the empathy to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom," or to be gay, poor or black. Many liberal legal scholars agree, although they use other labels as synonyms for empathy and social consciousness."

f you like the notion of a living Constitution that can be bent to reflect subjective judgments about felt necessities, then Obama's judicial nominees will be your cup of tea. If you prefer originalists who are anchored by the written text of the founding documents, then McCain's nominees " assuming he drops his mistaken allegiance to strict construction and original intent " are more likely to fill the bill. In either case, the Senate must ferret out that distinction during the confirmation proceedings. If the nominee is a textualist, senators can anticipate that his or her jurisprudence will be objective and grounded in the Constitution, not based on personal preferences. If, however, the nominee believes that empathy and social consciousness are paramount, then the dysfunctional confirmation process of recent years will persist as senators are compelled to unearth the anchor-less beliefs of the nominee on a wide range of public policy issues."

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9687
kuvasz

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:44 pm
Obama, and I hope his first selection is Tribe, just so I can read Tribe evescerate Scalia about his joke theory of "literalism." It would piss off that arrogant prick so bad he'd have a stroke.
Debra Law

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 04:34 pm
@Woiyo9,
McCain is pandering to the federalist society that embraces the "unitary (imperial) executive" form of governance and the right-wing religious nuts (the party "base") who want to stack the court with judges who will overrule landmark cases that currently make it difficult for them to impose their religious views on everyone else. Although state governments may regulate abortions so long as those regulations do not place an undue burden on a woman's right to determine her own procreative destiny, an outright state governmental ban is unconstitutional. That's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the right of privacy.

I do not trust McCain to select judges who will reign in the unitary "imperial" executive branch and preserve the constitutionally-secured right to privacy. Thus, I will vote against McCain--and so will most people who believe that "we the people" have a unalienable right to privacy that is secured by the constitution against unreasonable state government intrusions in the realm of individual privacy.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 04:49 pm
@Woiyo9,
If we were to take the Constitution at its word, you'd still be, what is it, only 3/5 of a person, Woiyo.

No, there's no room for such nonsense as social justice. I say we go back to the good ole days where Blacks had to use separate facilities and Indians were regularly spat upon, beaten and murdered.
SYNRON

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:13 am
@kuvasz,
Oh, he won'tpick Tribe, He will pick three women, Three malignant dwarves likeGinsberg whose claim to fame was that she was the top lawyer for the ACLU before she was put on the court by slick Willie.
0 Replies

SYNRON

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:17 am
@dyslexia,
I would give you ten to one odds on that , dyslexia. Aren' t those good odds? Obama's picks will set the country back twenty years.He may nominate Cynthia McKinney or Maxine Waters or even Lani Guiner--all level headed superb minds.
0 Replies

SYNRON

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:26 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9--I am sure that you know what "social and economic justice" are code words for. That means that the scum in the ghetto; the "victims" looking for a handout; the dope heads looking for the next fix, will be taken care of by brother Obama's new judges.In about a year, Woiyo9, I will be able to point out a Washington DC with dozens of unqualified minorities in all kinds of important jobs. That has to be done since the minority community is backingObama up all of the way and has come to expect it. Imagine imbeciles likeCynthiaMcKinney and Maxine Waters in high posts.

There are some bright sides to this, Woiyo9, the people that Obama will appoint will be so inefficient andstupid that DC will collapse.

Everyone knows that almost every black lawyer that graduates from one of the top fifty law schools was ranked in the lower half of their classes. In many instances,the only reason they did not flunk out is that the law school administration needed them to show that they were :"affirmative action" oriented.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:59 am
@JTT,
You, sir are a 100% asshole!
cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:22 am
@ebrown p,
But you're not an American epb... you just play one on A2K....

Four of our USSC justices apparently don't understand or don't care what the Constitution and Bill of Rights says in clause 2A. That should be enough to make any gun owning citizen NOT vote for O-Boy, but we all live in the Kingdom of Dumb, more worried about our next Happy Meal.
0 Replies