gollum

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 01:38 pm
There is a word pronounced "turine" that refers to some sort of kitchen dish but I can not find it in the dictionary.

Help.

(By the way, there used to be separate "rooms" within able2know for different subjects. Apparently that was discontinued. Why?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 19,332 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 01:47 pm
@gollum,
The word is 'tourine' and refers to a large soup bowl or dispenser--usually one that serves several people. Usually said as two words though: "soup tourine"
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 01:51 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
(By the way, there used to be separate "rooms" within able2know for different subjects. Apparently that was discontinued. Why?)

Because this new way -- where threads are just floating out there until "tagged" -- is just so much better.

<insert rolly-eyed, sarcastic emoticon>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

The word is 'tourine' and refers to a large soup bowl or dispenser--usually one that serves several people. Usually said as two words though: "soup tourine"

What is the difference between a 'soup tourine', a 'terrine' and a 'tureen'? Just "academic"? (We use in [every-day-) German just one word for all, terrine.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:36 pm
According to a post in wikipedia that sounds correct to me, terrine and tureen are two different types of dishes.

link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrine
Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Here in my neck of the woods, northeast USA, the soup serving bowl I've always know to be called tureen. I wasn't aware of other spellings - not that I discount other possibilities.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:51 pm
@Ragman,
According to Britannic as well as MW, a terrine is a 1) a tureen, 2) an earthenware jar containing a table delicacy.

A tureen is 1) a deep footed vessel with a cover from which cooked foods (as soup, sauce, or eggs) are served at table, 2) a casserole.

Tourine seems to be some local/regional spelling of tureen - or terrine?
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@gollum,
when we did more fancy cooking, we spent many hours making pates or terrines out of various organ meats and stuff like lobster or shrimp. terrines were, I believe, those that were cooked in water baths for long times under low heat in a moist heat oven. I may be wrong but thats what I recall , so Ill stick with that, FINAL ANSWER.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
As Ragman pointed out, tureen is another spelling and probably more commonly used than tourine. I don't think I've ever seen 'tourine' used alone--it's always a 'soup tourine' while tureen is used alone. 'Terrine' is not used in our part of the world and is not a familiar term. I don't know if it in other parts of the country or not. Farmerman relates it to an edible whatever and, while I've never heard of such myself, I accept that it is common where he is/was.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:12 pm
@farmerman,
I know this use of the term as well ... both in the (original) French as well as in German.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:14 pm
@Foxfyre,
Yeah, the word was "terrine" and it was a kind of pate. I think the name came from the vessel in which its prepared. We always just used these large(2qt or so) Corning covered oven vessels.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:16 pm
@Foxfyre,
In German, many say 'soup terrine' as well - actually a pleonasm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:18 pm
All right -

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A terrine is a glazed earthenware (terracotta, French terre cuite) cooking dish with vertical sides and a tightly fitting lid, generally oblong or oval. Modern versions are also made of enameled cast-iron.
Terrine may also easily be confused with tureen, a large, deep, and usually round or oval covered dish, used for serving soups or stews.

By extension, the term also refers to food prepared and served in a terrine, mainly game and venison, brawn (head cheese) and pâtés. If it has been pressed and chilled, then turned out for serving in slices, a terrine becomes a pâté, which Julia Child called "a luxurious cold meatloaf".

end/quote

Obviously, says me, tureen or, perhaps, tourine, are the soup serving dishes, usually fairly large.

Spellcheck tells me tourine is incorrect - I've no idea, but I've never seen it spelled that way, not that that is significant.

I have eaten pates from terrines, in the occasional french restaurant and elsewhere. I think the size varies re different sized pates to be made.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@farmerman,
In French, for instance, you can say either "pate de foie" (meaning the pie) or "terrine de foie" (and then you think more of the pate in the terrine).
tinlid

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes a tourine is a soup holder like this one http://www.kaleeko.com/images/_products/iwds/179-CILTST.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Turine?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:02:03